Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

Hi

There was a 200 page of complain but Bose had its search and after long time they came with that  there is no difference at all. and came with no solution , apparently we are all wrong who is having that issue, so welcome to the team, if you can just return them and go for another brand.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

Thanks for your quick reply. That's incredibly poor. I'm disappointed to hear that. Thanks for updating me. I'll contact them tomorrow and give them some "Feedback". This is an almost useless product to me now.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Dont know if you can still have a look at previous post, I think they closed it, it is 200 pages and took months with no solution at all, they had funny pictures with solution, and with that much complain they had only 5 or 10 headset test, it is so funny that they just saying all these people are lying their tests shows that there is no difference.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Then please  tell me, why there is no difference on my pair. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

I dont know, you keep asking same question to everyone and blaming that we are all crying here, but if yours are working fine this is not the topic for you, you can open a new  topic how happy you are with your ANC and cry about your Sony or  other fifty thousands headphones you have , attention seeker.

I guess that much attention is enough for you for today.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

@kutomuto Well Said. I agree 100% with you. @Seekay Should start another thread to enjoy his headphone's so called "perfect performance" rather than bragging about how they perform here. I and many many others face the same poor ANC (after upgrading from 3.1.8) and no difference in low and High.

Vikas

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

I asked a possible explanation, not offence. I’d like to find out this mystery as well. 

Both our QC35IIs are the “AZ” serial number models.  Those who experienced ANC problem, are they also the “AZ” batch or the previous ones, “AE”, etc? 

There are only 3 possibilities I can think of:

1.) Different hardware for certain batches which affect the ANC performance between firmware versions 

2.) Hardware fault 

3.) Software glitch (less likely, otherwise every single one should be affected, unless hardware differences as I mentioned above) 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Wayne_MI asked some questions in message 87.  I and others here are looking forward to a response.

Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Glad to have you back, @joelirwin! Glad you appreciated the report and happy to address your questions.

1. Our investigation led to the conclusion that firmware 4.5.2 did not affect the noise cancelling feature. 

While we are no longer conducting an extended engineering evaluation regarding upgrading firmware impacting noise cancellation, we are never done servicing our customers. As a reminder, with any of our products, if you are not satisfied with the performance of your QC35s, please go to your regional support site to review the service options available to you.

2 and 3. When you swap between Low and High, the headphone changes the active cancellation settings. This change mostly affects lower frequency noises, so if the environment you are in has lots of low frequency noise, you would notice a bigger difference. For environments with a lot of high frequency noise (such as speech) you may not notice as much difference between Low and High even when the product is working normally.  This is because much of the noise reduction at higher frequencies comes from passive attenuation, which is not affected by the firmware settings. Additionally, if your headset has hardware issues, such as the ones in our investigation, it could also cause Low and High settings to provide a similar level of noise reduction for both low and high frequency noises.

You can think of it like a waterproof jacket (High) and water-resistant jacket (Low). In light rain (high frequency noises), your water resistant jacket performs the same as a waterproof jacket. But, when there is a lot of rain (low frequency noise), you would notice a large difference. However, if both jackets are ripped, they are going to perform equally poorly in stopping the rain, as in they won’t. It’s not a perfect analogy, but I hope it helps!

4 and 5. We agree that not every headset that has noise cancelling loss is specifically due to loose or detached cups, but any mechanical, electrical, or fit issues can contribute to less ANC. To clarify, when we referred to the ‘comprehensive list of hardware issues’ we are referring to any degradation that can happen through “wear and tear” or even normal use.

The YouTube video goes over some of the best things you can go as far headphone maintenance and storage to keep your headphones working in their best possible condition. For anything else, you would want to contact customer service.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Wayne_M 

Appreciate your explanation of the difference between LOW and HIGH in different environments but let's start with my comment below that you really did not address:

"3. If it were truly a hardware problem as you said in (2) above, then how does Bose technically explain how dozens if not hundreds of customers could hear the difference, perform a firmware upgrade and then suddenly can not hear the difference any more. Was that explanation in the report?"

And many of the customers posting/coming here had just purchased brand new QC35's and then the first thing they did was upgrade the firmware when they debox'd.  So it's not 'wear and tear'.   So how does Bose explain a sudden change when all that was done was a firmware upgrade? Again - they claim to hear the difference between LOW and HIGH on brand new QC35ii's, do the firmware upgrade and now LOW and HIGH sound exactly the same.  In the same location again with brand new units.

And keep in mind that it was not a 'global occurrence' - didn't happen to me for example.  And Bose has determined that 4.5.2 had no impact on ANC.  So with all of that - Bose claims it should not happen and customers say it does - how do we TECHNICALLY bridge this difference/gap?