Highlighted
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

May 29, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 Firmware 4.5.2 Noise Cancellation Investigation Discussion

Having read all these discussions I still can't decide whether I should upgrade from 4.1.3. What issues 4.3.6 and 4.5.2 fix? Does it worth to upgrade at all?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 2, 2020

I bought QC35IIs and just received them yesterday, I did the upgrade but before that I first I checked the performance of ANC with TV ON and fan noisy ON and then checked after upgrade.

When the headphones were installing the update, these ones turned the ANC off so I noticed a decrement in the ANC, but a few seconds later the ANC came back as normal, I didn't notice any change on ANC after upgrading. So the ANC is working good. I couldn't confirm if the update improved any other characteristic because I just received them and only focused on the ANC.

Until now these headphones are great, better than NC700 which I returned because they were very uncomfortable.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2020

Hello,

I updated my QC35ii firmware to 4.5.2 the other day after using them for close to two years being on an older firmware and immediately noticed a decrease in the ANC as well.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 26, 2020

I had my QC 35 II Firmware updated 3 weeks ago and a scratching noise started to develop in the Right side of the headphone, this scratching noise started increasingly gets higher, at one point I have to turn off the NC to use my headphone!! Today I have returned my headset for brand new one. My QC 35 II is 5 months old. I am happy the store in NZ could swap my QC 35 II for a new one. New QC 35 II  came with the old Firmware, I have no intention of updating the F/W any sooner.  

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 27, 2020

Hi. 
okay so ever since I’ve updated my QC35s to the last edit firmware. The headphones fail to connect to any of the devices unless the headphones are turned off a few times. This wasn’t too big an Issue in the beginning but over the past few weeks I’ve seen an increase in the number of times my headphones have failed to connect to a device

(the devices are right next to the headphone). 
could someone please help me out with the troubleshooting. I’ve already tried to forget the devices and reconnecting them but it hasn’t helped. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 13, 2019

Ok, so here Im back to put in my thoughts after MONTHS of following on this firmware problem. Im still on firmware 3.1.8 with serial ending with AE. I’ve read and re-read Bose report responding to this problem many QC35ii owners have. The tests are small numbers compare to the reality of numbers of problem headsets that are reported. I still dont comprehend why Bose doesnot allow downgrade firmware of 3.1.8 and below. Now, if the hardware faulty is indeed the issue, Bose should identify those batches with certain “ change” in quality of hardware. There are some users mention no change in ANC in multiple QC35ii headsets that they have after update to the latest firmware. As for me, Im too scared to update. Mine is a “get by expectation” with 3.1.8 firmware. Not the best ANC like it used to be. So out of high disappointment with my current QC35ii, I purchased myself a new SONY WH-1000XM3 in March 2020. I must admit it is outstanding great ANC and sound, volume at 35% = Bose QC35ii at 85% volume, battery is insanely long lasting for days with regular uses, however, the ear cups are not as comfortable as Bose QC35ii. I have been a loyal Bose’s fan for many years but my decision of purchasing another Bose products from now on will need much more of  convincing and facts. I might be done with Bose brand. I hardly use my QC35ii now since I got my Sony WH-1000XM3. I do detest the idea of afraid of messing up my own headphone just because of the faulty firmware.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 30, 2020

My device updated to the 4.5.2 Firmware and now When I use the headphones with Windows 10 (Build 18363) I am hearing the background noise being pumped in to the headphones! It was working perfectly fine before!

I have the Hands-Free Output and Input disabled.

I am outputting through the "stereo option".

This update has been so frustrating, How do I revert to the old firmware?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 5, 2018

I really don't think that going back to an older firmware is going to fix the issue, it is more fundamental than that, I reported this back in 2018 when I updated my headphones from whatever version of the Firmware they were on to 2.5.1, and it was at that point the pressure sensation completely disappeared and the ANC became much less effective, many other people were also saying the same. At that time the updater allowed you to downgrade firmware and going back to very early firmware maybe made a slight difference, but it didn't bring back the ANC to what it was.

It clearly isn't one particular firmware version that causes the issue, I think it has to be to do with the update process possibly updating some audio calibration data or something else that is randomly effecting some headphones, it seems that BOSE have focused on 4.5.2 as the problematic firmware, and as I say, it has been since the beginning, I appreciate that BOST have done all of this testing and it really does show commitment, but still, so many people have now discussed this and reported on this that to me the testing results don't quite match what I have seen/heard.

I have had several replacement QC 35 II's to try and resolve the ANC issue, to me the replacements didn't have an as effective out the box ANC as my original pair, but they were still a lot better than my original pair. On updating the firmware on each to 4.5.2 the ANC became much less effective. So I am now left with my last replacement which as I say, the ANC isn't as good as my originals and it also seems to have a bluetooth connection issue when connecting to 2 devices (Windows 10 and iPhone) at the same time, but I cant update which I think resolves some Bluetooth connection issues through fear of losing the ANC that it does have.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 4, 2020

So I shouldn't upgrade from v1.0.4?

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 5, 2020

It is a long time I feel the degradation. I have two noise cancelling headphones and bose used to be the best with a large advantage. But recently complaining my bose phone was not as good when I aquire it, my friend who also owns a qc 35 told me about this issue after an update. Looking at the internet i found lots of complains. https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/16/20696186/bose-qc35ii-headphones-worse-noise-cancellation-problems

Will bose ever fix this? I paid a much higher price for the silence. I Bose is removing it from me you lost another client.