Highlighted
sherlock_
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Bose QC 35 II headphone loses sound on macbook whilst connected

I've been having a problem with my QC 35 II while using macbook air and I think this might have something to do with the new OS Catalina update as I've only noticed this happening since the update. While I am listening to music or watching videos or whatever on my macbook, everything works fine until all of a sudden I can't hear any sound on my headphones while it is still connected to my macbook and the sound starts playing outside i.e. using my macbook's speakers. So the output device changes on my macbook automatically and this happens randomly, sometimes works fine for an hour, sometimes stops within a few minutes. Please help because this is very frustrating. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Bose QC 35 II headphone loses sound on macbook whilst connected

Hi Sherlock, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing and I'll do all I can to assist you!

Have you tried clearing the pairing list on the headphones? You can do this by following the instructions HERE. Once completed, make sure you delete the pairing from your source device. 

If this is unsuccessful, I would recommend making sure that your Firmware is up to date on the headphones. Plug them into a PC or laptop, click the LINK HERE and follow the on-screen instructions. 

Let me know how you get on!

I'd be really interested to see if anyone else in the Community is experiencing the same issue, feel free to chime in here. 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

normelton
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Yep, same here. Started after the upgrade to Mac OS Catalina. I'll try resetting the pairing list and verify headphone firmware.

For me, I can't get audio to play at all through the headphones. The computer shows that the devices is paired, and the headphones tell me they're connected to the laptop. But under the Output tab of my Audio Preferences, the headphones aren't listed as an output device.

Hi Normelton, 

Thanks for your post and welcome! That's really great information, thank you! 

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting I mentioned above? Did this help at all?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest,

Jessie O 

normelton
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

So the headphones were way out of date, so I'm glad I updated. That didn't fix the problem; however. I rebooted and applied a system update. Not sure which helped, but things are behaving now.

I'll update this note if more problems crop up.

shotokai
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

I am having a similar issue since updating to Catalina, however the issue did not happen for me until the first reboot after the update - several days later.

In my case I have QC35II.  Installed Catalina.  Everything was ok.  Rebooted several days later.  Now my headphones connect and then after 10 seconds or so disconnect.  I get the voice prompt telling me this has occurred.  I have tried the following multiple times and in various orders:

• reset mac bluetooth module using option+shift, click on B icon in appbar,  choose reset from debug menu.  restart mac
  • delete bluetooth preferences from /Library/Preferences. restart mac
  • delete all bluetooth devices from mac using debug menu. restart mac.
  • delete all bluetooth device manually. restart mac.
  • update QCII firmware.
  • clear all pairings from QCII by pushing power switch forward for 10s.

In each case I am able to reconnect my headset, though it never shows up under audio system preference, and then within about 10 seconds it is not connected.

Really distressed about this.  I'm a programmer and my QCs are a huge part of my work day.

Hi Shotokai,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for the additional information you have provided. 

This is strange behavior and not something we would expect to see. Do your QC35's otherwise work as expected with other devices?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest,

Jessie O

sherlock_
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

Sorry for delayed response. 

I did as you suggested and still having problems. My QC35 II is up to date. 

shotokai
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

Yes, they continue to work without issue with an iPhone and iPad

shotokai
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

I cleared the PRAM on my mac and the issue seems to be resolved.