Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 5, 2020

Bose QC 35 II - microphone issues on Android only

Since yesterday, if I connect my Bose QC 35 II headphones to my OnePlus 6T, when the call starts, the microphone whistles and then the sound is extremely muffled and there is an annoying white noise in the background (almost as if there were some interference).

This problem was not there before, and most importantly, when I try to do the same thing from my Windows 10 PC, there is absolutely no problem and the sound is perfect.

I tried to connect another android smartphone and the problem is still there. So it's definitely a headphone issuee. I just can't figure out what the problem could be.

edit: I also noticed that (always and only on Android), since there is this problem, the microphone is extremely sensitive and amplifies all ambient sounds much more than before.

I also tried to reset the Bluetooth settings from the phone, but no results. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Bose QC 35 II - microphone issues on Android only

Hello mattiacattane, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to read that you are having some strange mic issues with mobile devices. 

Let's start with performing a standard reset on the headset by following these steps below: 

• Power off your product
  • Wait 30 seconds
  • Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger
  • Wait five seconds
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the headset
  • Wait one minute
  • Power on your product.

I would also recommend that we ensure that your headset is up to date with the latest software version. To do this please connect your headset to a PC/Mac via the USB charging cable, once connected please visit our online updater and follow the on-screen instructions. 

We look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 5, 2020

I've done the procedure several times, but the problem persists.
I also noticed that using an old Android device, the problem is absolutely not there.

Can it be a compatibility problem with Android 10?

Highlighted

Hi mattiacattane,

Thank you for the update!

It is definitely odd that this only happens with your newer android devices as we are not aware of any compatibility issues with Android 10.

To get a bit more information on your systems, you mentioned originally the OnePlus 6T, what other android devices have you tested them with? And which of these devices had the issue?

As the main device you mentioned is the One Plus 6T, I would definitely recommend checking out THIS thread as the user was having issues with the Bluetooth connection to their One Plus phone as well that they did manage to solve with some help from One Plus. I know it isn't the same issue they were experiencing but I would still recommend trying the troubleshooting listed.

If it does just seem to be with newer devices, then it is definitely a good idea to make sure your headphones are fully up to date using our Device Updater on a computer as well. 

Let me know how you get on!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 5, 2020

Hi Keith,

I tried, in addition to OnePlus 6T, with a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (Android 9) and even with a Nexus 5 (2013 phone with Android 4), and I had the same problem.

I tried it with a Meizu M6, an Honor 8 and a Samsung tablet and the problem did not occur at all.

It should be noted that all 3 phones not working have, in different ways, more or less some stock version of Android, while the others have a custom Android fork by the manufacturer. However, it seems impossible to me that the problem is related to this.

In addition, I also received another pair of Bose QC 35 II from Bose Support, which have the exact same problem. Definitely not a headphone problem but a software compatibility problem.

I just can't figure out what could be causing it.

Thank you,

Mattia

Highlighted

Thanks for that extra information Mattia!

This definitely a weird one, I've managed to test this on a couple of Android devices and can't reproduce this issue at the moment. I don't however, have access to a OnePlus, Xiaomi, or Nexus device. Both the Samsung and Sony I tested with had no issues, which could back up your idea that's down to Android implementation on the devices.

As it's only on calls, it has to be related to the HSP or HFP profile that the headphones use while the microphone is active and how the phones are using that. When you have been testing this, have you been using standard cell calls or VoIP software like Skype, or WhatsApp at all? Do you get the same behavior on both standard phone calls and VoIP calls?

Do any of the devices you are using that had the issue have a gain/volume control for microphones that could be affecting the behavior on calls?

Did you manage to update your headphones using the link above? It would be useful to know what firmware your headphones are currently on and whether the latest update improves this behavior for you.