bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Bose QC 35 II not connecting to windows after 1809

Hi There

After updating to the latest version of windows 1809 (see attached image) my QC 35 II's are no longer able to connect. 

They 'pair' to windows but there is no connection. i.e. The headphones don't tell me they connect and no audio comes through. 

As far as troubleshoothing I believe I've tried it all including:

1. Installing latest Dell XPS 15 1950 audio driver
  2. Uninstalling/reinstalling bluetooth driver for laptop
  3. Uninstalled bluetooth driver in device manager
  4. Sliding button on headphones for 10 seconds to clear the connection list
  5. Check latest firmware update is installed on headphones

The other odd thing is that when I go to connect via bluetooth the headphones are showing up with 'LE' before their name. See image below. 

This is super annoying as it was working perfectly before the windows update and now it's no longer working.

If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know. 

Thanks 
Ben

Windows update version:

windows.PNG

Headphones showing as 'paired' but not 'connected'. Previously if they were 'paired' but not 'connected' I could click on them and a 'connect' button would show. I'd click that and they would connect. 

Bose.PNG

Headphones showing as 'LE - Bens Bose QC 35 II'

bluetooth.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 II not connecting to windows after 1809

Author Accepted Answer selected by bendruce

I solved the issue. It was windows related. Here is the solution that worked for me. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/unable-to-remove-bluetooth-d... 

wewwwww finally managed to sort this out.

My symptoms:

- Previously working bluetooth speaker (UE BOOM 2 in my case) stops connecting

- Windows 10 'Bluetooth and other devices' menu shows the device as Paired

- Pressing connect makes it attempt to connect but fails then it goes back to Paired

- Remove device hides the device from the menu, but as soon as you turn bluetooth on and off, or restart the computer, the device comes back

- You pull your hair out.

Solution that worked for me after much, much unsuccessful internet trawling and one system restore:

- Download this 7 year old command line bluetooth toolset: http://bluetoothinstaller.com/bluetooth-command-line-tools/

- Install it, make sure you enable the option to "Add Bluetooth Command Line Tools directory to path"

- Open Powershell

- Put your device that isn't working properly into pairing mode

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING COMMAND WILL UNPAIR ALL BLUETOOTH DEVICES

- type in "btpair -u"

- Boom, all of a sudden Windows asks me if I want to allow pairing to my device that isn't working

- Hit yes, successfully connected again

- Cry tears of joy

God I hope that helps someone else.

13 REPLIES 13
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

While I still use Win 7/64, I do have two Dell Precision machines (desktop and laptop).  There are multiple vendors involved in your communication process.  You have Bose on one end and on the other end you have Microsoft and the Bluetooth hardware vendor which is not Dell.  On my laptop its a half card from Intel which contains both wifi and bluetooth (BT).

You have asked Bose here for help.  I do not work for Bose.  I can also tell you from my experience and months of lurking here, Bose will not troubleshoot this unless it is really simple.  They pass the buck to Dell and Microsoft.  Microsoft will not help either since they will say most BT devices work fine and pass it back to Bose.  I have tried to get Dell involved with Intel but pretty much the same issue - Dell says other devices work and won't talk to Intel to troubleshoot.  So odds are that if ANYTHING changes (windows update, ANY application update or a BT driver change) which stops your Bose from working, you will be pretty much on your own to troubleshoot and fix.

First as you have already tried to do - uninstall your BT drivers and unpair everything / reinitialize the QC35ii.  Then reinstall and add the QC35ii.  NEVER do anything with a device with LE at the beginning.  It should eventually go away and be replaced by the device without the LE up front.  LE standards for BLE - Bluetooth Low Emission.  This is what some Bose devices look like when they are powered off like the Revolve.  The QC35ii issues a BLE signal only when on and you should ignore that.

Once paired you have to start up one or both of the BT services - one is your stereo renderer used for music playing and streaming and one is your HFP/Headset profile/service for Voice Over IP (VOIP) phone call applications like Skype.  If you can't start one of them (for example, they are disabled or grayed out), you have a problem and will need to unwind everything and start again.  Pairing again is one the first step, you can't hear anything without one or both of your BT services/profiles.

Now if you can't get things going, you have to uninstall the BT drivers (audio drivers as far as I can tell don't have an impact with your problem unless you can't use the QC35ii with a wire).  Try newer drivers or drivers back two years.  If you are using Intel hardware like me, odds are none of the drivers will make a difference.  If drivers installs don't help, you next option is to start uninstalling windows updates up to two years to see if there were/are any conflicts.

If that doesn't help, which it didn't for me last Nov/Dec, then you are left with only two options.  Either (1) revert to a disk image backup or (2) reinstall windows from scratch.  (2) didn't really appeal to me since I had many devices and over 100 applications to reinstall.  Luckily, I backup my disk two or three times a year so I reverted to my June 30, 2018 backup and everything started working again.  So in my case, something changed in windows or some application install/update which impacted my BT.  I still don't know what it was but my BT which couldn't discover a single one of my 5 Bose devices (2 Revolves, mini II, soundsport wired, and QC35ii) not works fine with all of them.

If you are still stuck or don't want to reinstall windows, your only other option is to totally disable you BT hardware (done inside windows) and then purchase a BT USB Dongle.  Some work and some don't.  I can tell you, back late last year I was using a SMK Nano USB Dongle with CSR drivers (about $15 on ebay) and it worked fine with all my BT devices.

Highlighted
bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Thank you for your input joelirwin. I'll work though your suggestions and hopefully get back with an update shortly. 

bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Hi @joelirwin so i managed to get the 'connect' button to show up by activating a bunch of the 'services' via Control Panel > Devices and Printers. Somehow these had all been unchecked. (not sure I've got the right ones checked) (1). 

I got excited when I saw the button again but unfortunately it's still not able to connect (2). 

Like you I really don't want to have to re-install windows to get this working again. I'm on a work computer so don't want to use work resources to get this resolved. 

Question - You mentioned trying older BT drivers. Where do I find these? The latest one is available for my laptop is here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9570-laptop/drivers

Thanks again mate. 

1 - 

Annotation 2019-04-09 134143 services.png

2 - 

connect.png

Hello bendruce,

Thanks for posting in the community, I would firstly recommend some simple troubleshooting steps to try and remedy this issue for you, please follow the steps below.

To reboot your headset:

• Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds

• Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds

• Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute

• Turn on the headset

Clear the headset memory of previously paired Bluetooth® devices and clear the headphones from your Bluetooth list on your device.

• Power on your headset, then slide and hold the Power switch toward the Bluetooth icon for about 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared."

Let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe _C -Community Support 

bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Hi @Zoe_C - Yes I've tried both of these steps multiple times and unfortunatley neither seems to do the trick. 

When a customer gets stuck in a loop like this what would you suggest they do?

Okay, I would recommend if you have already tried multiple troubleshooting steps yourself that it would need to be investigated further and possibly exchanged depending on your warranty. The best thing to do would be to call the customer care team as they will be able to look into these options for you, you can find details on how to contact them via this link https://bose.life/2f4nJid.

I hope this helps, should you need anything else then please get in touch.

Have a great day!

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Zoe_CI know you have good intentions and have nothing left you can do, but with all due respect you are merely passing the buck to someone else in Bose who will not likely be able to help him any further as well imho.  He has asked me a question that you could have answered yourself, for example a couple of days ago (since I have not been here in a few days).

The question was: You mentioned trying older BT drivers. Where do I find these?

Now we know that this user has a Dell but I don't recollect any mention of the BT vendor.  What I do know is that Dell keeps only one driver per product which may or may not be the most recent one.  So for example, my BT Dell vendor is Intel.  Until about a month or so after the newer drivers came out, they were one version back (so the user would not even know there was a newer driver).  In any case, for troubleshooting he may need to try multiple versions of the driver.  So for example, if the vendor was Intel, by Googling Intel Bluetooth Drivers, you get links for at least the most recent two drivers (though there used to be three older versions which I have downloaded but I did not just now look to see if they were still available).

Again the only thing Bose can do to help here is what I am doing unless Bose can duplicate exactly or close to exactly the customer's environment.  So if Bose has a policy against working with third party vendor sites and products, I am not sure what referring him can accomplish since a different QC35ii will likely have the same symptoms.

bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

Hi @joelirwin Bose supported with their best intentions however it appears that I've got a real edgecase scenario. Something that they were not able to assist with.

I doubt it's something I'll be able to resolve for a while.

I'm going through the process now of trying older bluetooth drivers. Dell list older ones from last year on their support site: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=TYMX4&osCode=wt64a&produc...

In the interim I've also ordered a bluetooth dongle as a temporary (hopefully) solution.

Would you suggest I try any other drivers to try and rectify the situation? 

Also, beyond simply removing a bluetooth device from the device list, is there a way to essentially 'clear the bluetooth cache'? Sometimes I get the feeling that windows is trying to load an old profile for the headphones. 

bendruce
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 8, 2019

OK I've just noticed that windows will go through the process of adding the headphones as a bluetooth device EVEN THOUGH the headphones are switched off. How is it doing this?

In one instance I renamed the headphones and switched them off. They were sitting on the table switched off. Then a couple minutes later windows added the OLD headphone profile and told me it was set up and ready to go. 

When I switched the headphones on the profile name changed to the new one I created. Whats going on here?....