Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

Bose QC 35 II recognised as headset, not headphones.

When I connect my headphones to my PC, I want to use them as headphones and use a different microphone. The headset or PC INSIST on it being a headset, so the audio quality sounds worse as there is outside world passthrough, introducing a hiss. When switching to the headphones option in the audio switcher, the headphones get no sound and I just hear the hiss. This is really annoying because I know these can sound better than they do, and I really don't want to buy a second headset just for my PC.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Bose QC 35 II recognised as headset, not headphones.

Hello DrunkRussian,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with the pairing of your QC35 II's with your PC. 

I'd like to link to a great thread here on the Community that talks about Computer Related Information when pairing Bluetooth headphones with some great tips and tricks. 

Which OS does your computer run? I would also strongly recommend ensuring that your headphones are running the latest firmware as the last update addressed some connection issues with Window 10's.

If you are still having problems, I would recommend using the audio cable to connect your QC35 II's to your PC. This way your PC will not have difficulty recognizing the profile of the headphones.

Get back to me if you have any questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 27, 2020

Dear moderator,

I am having a similar issue with my Bose QC 35 II headphones.

It is recognised by my laptop (Windows 10) as a headset, not headphones, when I connect it via bluetooth to my laptop when I launch Skype. The sounds from Skype is channeled to the 'headset' device but browser sounds (e.g. Google Chrome) are channeled to the 'headphones' device.

When this happens, I can only hear Skype when I set 'headset' as my default device, and when I select 'headphone' as my default device, there is no sound even though the playback settings detect sound.

I understand that using a wire can merge the 2 sounds together to one channel, but I want to use the mic on my Bose QC 35 II and I am unable to turn off noise-cancellation function on my headphones when it's plugged in using the wire (the pressure from the headphones makes my head hurt).

Highlighted

Hello mj_sparkles, 

Thanks for joining the conversation. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with this.

Do you get the option to choose the QC35 II as a headphone in the computer's sound settings? In the task bar in the bottom right corner of your screen there should be a speaker icon; right click that, then click Sounds > Playback. From there you should see a list of audio devices you can choose from. If you see the headphones on the list, please click on them, then click Apply. If you wish, you can also click 'Set Default' so that it retains your choice. 

Finally, can you also confirm, does this issue occur during a Skype call only?

Thanks.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 27, 2020

Dear moderator,

Thank you for getting back to me so quick.

Yes, I am able to select the QC35 II as a headphone in the sound settings. However, even after setting it as my default device, there is no sound head through the headphone (system displays that there is sound output).

Yes, the headphone works well as long as Skype doesn't come into the equation. However, I got the headphone to use with Skype and Chrome concurrently, so this issue is quite frustrating.

The QC35 II gets detected as both a headphone and headset, and the Skype sound output is channeled through to the 'headset' detected while the Chrome sound output is channeled through the 'headphone' detected. However, as this happens, even when I set the 'headphone' as my default device, there is no sound.

Highlighted

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're looking to play music/other audio via the headphone profile, while using Skype via the headset profile. Is that right?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 27, 2020

Hi,

Yes, that is correct.

Highlighted

Okay, thanks for confirming. 

That is the normal behavior of the product. The computer chooses the Bluetooth profile based on what you are doing. Headset profile will take priority over Headphone profile if you are in a call. You cannot have both profiles playing at the same time. Apologies for any confusion. 

Thanks. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 27, 2020

Noted on that, thank you for your help.

Follow-up question, is it possible to turn off the noise cancellation function on the QC 35 II while plugged in with a wire? Since this is the only way I can use Skype and Chrome simultaneously using the headphones.

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

While I don't have a pair of QC35 II on hand at this time to be able to test this, I believe (based on earlier threads) it is not possible to alter the noise cancelling feature when a cable is connected as the buttons on the headphones beside the power switch are disabled. The headphones default to the standard high noise cancelling level.

Thanks.