Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2019

Bose QC 35 ii - Not charging

I went through 2 tech support.  ( One make me reset the headphone )

I bought the headphone on Nov 26 2017. So my warranty end Nov 27 2018.

The second tech went through troubleshoot and told me I need replacement and had to pay.

Headphone is working fine otherwise. It just wont charge. Firm upgrade 3.1.8 ( latest I think ). I am light user . In front of the computer. No gym or workout. I dont sweat with the headphone.

Things they went through with me

1) upgrade headphone

2) update firmware

3) use different cable and outlet

Headphone is working fine. I still have battery leftover but I stop using it now.  It just wont charge. 

I am just a bit upset that it doesnt last as is suppose to and now I have to pay more for it? I understand that it is out of warranty. But for light user like me. I expect this headphone to last longer than my $60 koss heaphone which are still working after 5 years.

Please help? Is there anything I can do to get this to work? or replacement is the only way?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 ii - Not charging

Hello Sha82! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear you are having difficulty, but would like to help! It sounds like Customer Support gave you the most common troubleshooting remedies. If you haven't already, let's see if resetting the headphones helps with the following steps:

1. Turn off the headset and wait 30 seconds
  2. Plug the headset into a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait 5 seconds
  3. Unplug the USB cord from the headset and wait 1 minute
  4. Turn on the headset

What does the LED show when you connect to power? 

Let us know so we may assist further! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2019

The LED is not even on. Also the I charge for couple hours and it doesnt charge.

I already did step 1-4 with the tech support. They said the headphone has malfunction and need replacement ( afetr only 1 year 2 month of regular usage) 

I am just not satisfied with the durability of $350 headphone.

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi sha82,

Thank you for trying this and I'm sorry to hear the headphones are still not working.  It does look like there is indeed an issue with the headset and a replacement would be the best option.  

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

QC 35 II Won't Charge/Connect via USB

Hello,

I received a pair of QC 35 II headphones a year and a half ago for Christmas (2019). I don't wear them everyday and I've taken very good care of them. This past week, they stopped charging and the charging light blinks red once if I try to turn them on. Beyond that, nothing else happens when they're plugged in.

I've attempted to charge them using different cables, plugs, and outlets, but with no success. I don't believe I've ever done a firmware update (maybe once just after I got them). I contacted support and they suggested trying to update the firmware, but my laptop doesn't detect them after I connect them via USB.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is a year and a half the life expectancy for these headphones? Given the cost, I would hope not. Bose support said that because I've had them for a year and a half and the warranty is only one year, I would have to pay $200 for a replacement. Is that my only option at this point? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try on my own to fix them?

I absolutely love my headphones, but I feel like with as expensive as they are and how gently I've treated them, why pay $200 for another pair that might quit again in 18 months? It just doesn't seem fair.

Thanks for any suggestions or help you could send my way! 🙂

Highlighted

Re: QC 35 II Won't Charge/Connect via USB

Hello Crblankenship,

Trying to update the headphones was a great start. Following the steps above to reset the headphoned would also be a great step to try. Should this not work, we want to ensure that the headphones are getting a 5 V DC, 1 A power supply. Anything less than this will not charge the headphones and anything more than this will most likely damage the headphones. 

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Vicky_W 

>anything more than this will most likely damage the headphones. 

Are you saying that users can not plug into 5v, 2 amp USB connectors typically found on battery phone chargers.  I can't measure the draw right now on my QC35ii's since it is fully charged but from memory I recollect the last time I did a measure it was something like 5v and 0.5 amps on the 2 amp port.

Again is the 'port rating' significant as most chargers have both 1 amp and 2 amp USB ports.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2020

ITS STILL NOT CHARGING

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

Hi Vicky, 

I tried to reset my headphones, but that didn't work either. I'm still only seeing the charging light blink once and nothing else happens. I also verified that I was using 5 V DC, 1A chargers. Do you have any other suggestions on what to do? If I'm out of options, is there any way that they can be replaced without having to pay the full $200 replacement fee given that they are only 18 months old?

Thanks again!

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and contributing to the discussion! 

@joelirwin, A higher amp rating on a charger would be fine as that is an upper rating for what amps are available for connected devices can draw from the charger. The headphones will still only be drawing the required 1 amp. It's the voltage rating you would not want to go above as more than 5V could damage the headphones.

@JP SINGH and @crblankenship, If the troubleshooting posted above in the thread has not done the trick then you would need to reach back out to your local support teams for further assistance with this. They will be the ones who will be able to discuss what options are available for you in regards to replacements.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.