bkkb
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Hi,

I can also confirm, that the iOS update didn't work. ANC is now really terrible.

I tried to update afterwards with BTU, which showed me that the product was outdated. But no change.

Even a reset didn't work.

Production Date: July, 7th, 2018 (AE Model)

Please fix the issue

Andy2976
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I read in another forum if you type A, D, V, up arrow key, down arrow key on the bose updater page this takes you into advanced mode where you can reinstall the firmware (doesn't help this problem) or if Bose add on previous firmware versions  then downgrade.

Dear Moderators,

This firmware upgrade has rendered our very expensive headphones pretty useless. Can you please ask the powers that be to make a firmware downgrade available through the updater as an interim fix.

I have a dreaded Ryanair flight next week and as ANC doesn't work properly am now going to have to listen to drunk baboons chattering on the plane and announcements of how I can buy a Ryanair lottery ticket! Do you really want me to suffer anxiety on this flight? This is the main reason I have a pair of QC35 headpohnes.

Andy2976
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2019

I have to agree with you that some people have really gone overboard with throwing their toys out of the pram.

Bose have enough information to understand this particular firmware version's problems but as an interim fix it would be useful for them to list on the Bose updater page the option to downgrade until they fix this version.

Nick-T
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

You are making an assumption that the problem is in the firmware and correctable by reverting to earlier firmware.

If the problem is not in the firmware but in the update process, then reverting firmware to an earlier release probably wouldn't help. Instead a revised update process which properly applies the firmware and fixes ANC would be required.

Trantor
Participant
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

Just made an account. I have not updated my QC 35ii yet, and am not going to after reading this thread. I was wondering, is there any way to check what firmware my headphones have? I have been hesitant to open the Bose connect app on my iPhone to check, as I don't want it to automatically update the headphones.
mseals1
Collaborator
Registered since

May 23, 2019

@Trantor wrote:
Just made an account. I have not updated my QC 35ii yet, and am not going to after reading this thread. I was wondering, is there any way to check what firmware my headphones have? I have been hesitant to open the Bose connect app on my iPhone to check, as I don't want it to automatically update the headphones.

You can check using BTU. It won't automatically update the headphones without you clicking update unlike the app.

pemerick07
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

I posted early on in this thread that I updated from 3.5.x (I think) to 4.5.2 on headphone I've head for about 1.25 years (AE serial with October 2017 mfg date). I was in my kitchen at the time of the update with the mini split AC fan running (it's pretty **bleep** quite) and immediately noticed the difference after the update - I could never hear the fan previously and now I could. I did notice some difference between HIGH and LOW ANC level but, not as much as before the update.

I've now taken the advice from some to use BTU with my headphones connected to the PC via USB. BTU showed that I was on version 2.3.1 while bose connect on Android showed 4.5.2. I did the update through BTU but, it didn't fix the ANC problem.

I have to say, not having used any other ANC headphones, they still sounds pretty good but, not like they did before this update. I used to have shure in-ear monitors which blocked noise to a scary extent (you couldn't really hear anything even with no sound playing) but, they weren't comfortable for long periods of time. I may go back to Shure because they were good from the start and never dissappointed (15 years later).

cursore
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

@pemerick07 wrote:

I posted early on in this thread that I updated from 3.5.x (I think) to 4.5.2 on headphone I've head for about 1.25 years (AE serial with October 2017 mfg date). I was in my kitchen at the time of the update with the mini split AC fan running (it's pretty **bleep** quite) and immediately noticed the difference after the update - I could never hear the fan previously and now I could. I did notice some difference between HIGH and LOW ANC level but, not as much as before the update.

Same experience here, without knowing the problem I made the update, really a bad choice. 

Let's see if they are going to make some test and a new release. 

rockbob
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

After reading this thread I have just uninstalled +Bose Connect app. I have crippled functionality but old firmware is safe.
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

So when we say that ANC has changed, let's get more specific.

1. Are we saying that we notice it standalone (with no connected wire and nothing playing) or just when we we are playing music and/or use it for VOIP (or both)

2. For those who do not remember what ANC sounded like on the previous versions, do you judge the current ANC as adequate, marginal, or unacceptable (in an absolute sense, not relative to the competition)

Note my comments from yesterday at the bottom of page 24.