Spitfyre
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

same problem here, az serial number did reset ANC is still bad.

mseals1
Collaborator
Registered since

May 23, 2019

@joelirwin wrote:

So when we say that ANC has changed, let's get more specific.

1. Are we saying that we notice it standalone (with no connected wire and nothing playing) or just when we we are playing music and/or use it for VOIP (or both)

Yes, I notice it is so much worse standalone, no wire, no music. I hear white noise very clearly now, no difference between high and low ANC, and poor quality compared to before (doesn't block out nearly as much noise now). I can clearly tell the difference between on and off like I always could.

When I'm playing music, I can definitely still hear background noises, low and high ANC sound the exact same (allow the same noises through), and inbetween songs or with the music low, I can hear the white noise clearly.

I'm also getting another issue where it intermittently stutters when I'm playing music and walking outside. When I walk inside with music playing, it's perfectly fine. 

tu00tf
Participant
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

Hi all,

I work in an open office environment and have used my QC35 ii ANC with great success to block out voices around me.

After the 4.5.2 upgrade, voices are not blocked out at all and I can still hear them, even when I'm listening to music or a podcast.

I did the upgrade to 4.5.2 through the Android app and then again through the BTU site. I've tried resetting the headphones without any success.

I understand that we aren't getting any answers from Bose on this issue, but I wanted to add my voice. Thanks.

John9111
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

I had an issue with the ANC immediately after the update with QC35ii (Serial number ending in AE, so it is pre-November 2018 hardware).

I work underneath an HVAC vent which has a constant air rushing sound. The noise cancellation usually dulls this sound so it has the same "sound" profile but it is quieter. After the update it would dull all but the high frequencies of this sound (I didn't test around voices because I was frreaking out that the firmware broke them).

A soft reboot seems to have solved my issue.

1. Turn headset off, wait 30 seconds

2. Plug headset into USB power for 5 seconds (or longer)

3. Unplug from power and wait 1 minute

I was extremely skeptical at frst but it returned my ANC back to normal.

Serj
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@mseals1 wrote:

@joelirwin wrote:

So when we say that ANC has changed, let's get more specific.

1. Are we saying that we notice it standalone (with no connected wire and nothing playing) or just when we we are playing music and/or use it for VOIP (or both)

Yes, I notice it is so much worse standalone, no wire, no music. I hear white noise very clearly now, no difference between high and low ANC, and poor quality compared to before (doesn't block out nearly as much noise now). I can clearly tell the difference between on and off like I always could.

When I'm playing music, I can definitely still hear background noises, low and high ANC sound the exact same (allow the same noises through), and inbetween songs or with the music low, I can hear the white noise clearly.

I'm also getting another issue where it intermittently stutters when I'm playing music and walking outside. When I walk inside with music playing, it's perfectly fine. 

Same here, on a perfectly working pair of QC 35 first gen. Since yesterday, after the update, I can hear cars passing by while listening to music with ANC set to HIGH.

Also the stuttering is present on my headset too. This is such a bad approach in promoting the next gen of headphones.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@mseals1 

Really strange.  I heard the white noise with it using ANC standalone (no music/phone) when I upgraded from 4.1.3 to 4.3.6 (back in March).  Then when I upgraded from 4.3.6 to 4.5.2 last week, the white noise is now gone and it is almost dead silence now in my studio (I can't hear the air purifier running which is similar in sound to corporate A/C, HVAC).

The stuttering may be a separate issue that others seem to have both with the QC-35 in this forum and the Revolve/Revolve+ in the Portable speakers forum.  I don't get it myself since I load all my music and videos onto my iPhone 7+ (I'm a film composer) and I play music with Ecoute and Videos with VLC.  I'm wondering if the stuttering is more specific to streaming apps like Spotify and Youtube....

Benjim
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

Like many here : new account to write this. I bought these less than a week ago.

One note for any devs watching this thread (God please help us) : when the update from 4.1.3 (?) to 4.5.2 (mostly - note bose update website reported version discrepancies) : some time at the end/following the update process, I had the headphones on and heard all the noises outside *amplified*, like with mics, for a little while. Was very strange. Noone else seems to have experienced it form what I've read of the thread (most if not all of it).

I bought these literally less than a week ago, the retailer says "no refunds unless sealed" now despite previous (I feel) misleading representations to the contrary and with the 700s out now, I feel absolutely sick to my stomach.

I always wanted a pair of Bose QC headphones. For about as long as I've been listening to music. It's just i've always had something else in use like Westone w40s, others, so when those went through the washing machine and got messed up this was my first real opportunity to CHOOSE to go bose, even on a product I knew was not at all new in the product cycle.

And the result of me putting my faith and money in Bose? I feel - honestly - sick in my stomach.

I've tried all troubleshooting steps and updated via the website also.

Firmware version : 4.5.2.144

Manufacture date: 14 March 2019

Serial ends with AZ

Someone help me, please. Don't just hang me out to dry...
MitchWrites
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@MitchWrites wrote:

Add another one to the ANC broken pile and another user that created a profile just to submit feedback regarding this issue.

Seemed as though it was fixed after resetting, but then got a high-pitched beep when I added another device and the ANC reverted back to the way it was. Not only does noise cancellation not work, it seems to amplify certain sounds, which in this case is my keyboard clacking and mouse clicks at work. Super distracting. I'll be using my other headphones (from a competitor) until this gets resolved, which isn't ideal, given that I won't have cancellation for the surrounding noise, but better than hyper-loud clicking and clacking.

---

So after playing around with this, doing a reset of the headphones did work...until I connected them to my computer. This kicked off the bad ANC again, where it was amplifying my keyboard and mouse noises (and chair squeaking even) to super distracting levels. Unpaired and removed the headphones from my computer, leaving it paired only to my phone, and it seems to be working like a champ. I'm not gonna do any further troubleshooting, just in case the fix stops working. It's a bit of an inconvenience that I can't play music from my computer, but I'm relieved that at least playing it from my phone is a very decent work around.

Serj
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@Wyspr wrote:

@Community_Admin wrote:

Dear all, 

Thank you for your continued patience in regards to the reported change in ANC following Firmware update 4.5.2.

We have looked into this extensively for you and have escalated this to our engineering team. They have been able to confirm that no changes were made to the ANC functionality in the most recent update.  That said, we want to make sure we are supporting those who may still be having issues and may be reaching out to some of you directly for more details to support a continued investigation.  

There are a number of troubleshooting steps you can take regarding ANC that can be found below:  We encourage you to review it for a potential solution.

• Be sure the headset is turned on. The switch on the right earcup should be in the "On" position with the green LED illuminated. The headset must be turned on to cancel noise.
  • Double check that the cushions are securely attached to the earcup. If the ear cushion is not affixed to the ear cup properly, the noise reduction may be affected.
  • Check to make sure the headset is fully seated and the ear cushions are in good shape as the seal they provide is extremely important for noise cancellation performance.
  • Verify the noise cancellation mode you are in through the Bose connect app. 
  • Complete a product reset.

Further support may be best handled directly, rather than through the community.  To find the contact information that you need, you can use this link.  Just select your country and scroll down to where you see “contact us”.    

Thank you once again for your patience. 

Warm Regards, 

Community Admin.

Regarding the troubleshooting steps I urge you to at least not insult my intelligence, please.

I've owned my QC35 II for almost a year and a half (21 December 2017 manufacturing date), went through multiple firmware updates and had no reason to create a user on this forum until a few days ago.

After all the firmware updates I went through, you are telling me I suddenly had the urge to google "bose qc35 II 4.5.2 issues" after this specific one in particular? What is your basis on this?

Regarding the support best handled directly, there is no official Bose presence in my country (Romania), only an authorised reseller. What "direct support" can the reseller provide me when even your engineers claim there is no issue to begin with?

The only thing they can do is say that the "defect has not occurred" or, best case scenario, provide me with a new pair.

What shall I do with the new pair then? Hope it doesn't come with a messed-up firmware and make sure I never update the firmware on it?

Can you state here and now that any new QC35 II pair will not suffer from the same problems this firmware caused? (which would be a bit odd since, again, you claim there is no problem to begin with...)

Please help me make sense of this situation as the only viable option for me at the moment is to just sell these headphones and never look back...

What makes it even worse for your company is that I had already decided to buy the new 700 headphones as soon as they are released in my country, but seriously reconsidering that as I don't want to go through having my intelligence questioned and getting stuck with a broken product after paying a PREMIUM price for it.

I expected this for the entry level market, but not for a ~400 Euro product at the date of purchase...

Hey there, @Wyspr . I also have major problems related to the latest firmware updated, but on a QC35 1st gen. Still, I am in the same situation as you are: I am from Romania too, and so far, no moderator has bothered answering any of my questions or claims, so don't be surprised if your problem will remain as it is. I keep asking for the revival of the DOWNGRADE TOOL that they have remove about a year ago, that would have saved us from all this nonsense.

Anyway, such a big disappointment with Bose, and I have also reconsidered my desire of purchasing the new 700s. For a premium product who's greatness will be killed by a firmware update after 2 years, it doesn't seem to be worth the money.

Kiefer
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

Also tried the bose update website. It showed I was running v2.0.1 while the bose connect app showed v4.5.2.

After updating via the website, version shown is now v4.5.2.

However ANC problems still exist. It seems to be higher frequency noises (voices, keyboards, etc.) that are no longer masked relative to before the initial v4.5.2 update from the bose connect app.