Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xycui
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I also got the same issue. It is obvious that the ANC is reduced. I just hope this issue could be treated seriously for fixing and no more regression in the future.

I'm also wondering if there is any chance to revert to previous version or downgrade. 

perkins
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

I did the same update (and the fixes after) and noticed in my headphones (srn ending to AZ) that Low and High doesn´t have much difference anymore.

I have to wonder how this was possible to be happened. How is it possible that they missed this bug. The product is all about ANC and they just messed up the core function. I´m worried about Bose quality control and would like to hear thought from Bose if they think their quality control is on necessary level?

ikanclim
Participant
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

Hi,

Like a lot of others, I joined this forum to detail my experience regarding the 4.5.2 Firmware Update.  I really empathize with what so many of you are going through.  A few weeks ago I was boarding a regional flight with my QC20s around my neck.  The buds were hanging down and one found its way into the armrest hinge of a seat.  I noticed this when I felt the sudden jerk and saw the bud fall to the floor - cleanly removed from the end of the cable.  That was my first flight in years without some sort of ANC headphone and it sucked.  To all who have had the ANC feature crippled by this update, I hope Bose is able to identify a pattern and remediate the inexplicable behavior.  Given the history of disgruntled QCxx owners who have been very vocal around ANC degradation following most firmware updates dating back years, I hope this does not fall on deaf ears of the Bose engineers.

I studied computer science back in the 90's but for the past 20 years I have worked as a  network engineer with ISPs and Data Centers.  I have upgraded 1000s of Cisco and Juniper carrier grade devices over my carreer and ~15% flown off of the rails.  For the most part, the response from the respective manufacturer has revolved around unforeseen issues with specific HW Revisions within a platform run, an issue with the ROMMON / Kickstart file preventing the update from fully erasing the EEPROM or Flash, or just bad code.  In this case, I don't personally believe it to be bad code.  I think this is more to do the the procedure followed to perform the update, based on my personal experience updating my QC35 IIs last night.  Yes, after following this for a week or so, the geek inside of me made me do it.  My outcome is rare on this forum as I actually experienced an improvement in sound / ANC performance.

The procedure - updating from the Bose Connect App.  Bose has failed here as the user experience is:

1. New Firmware / Downloading
  2. Very large Update button in the middle of the screen (very easy to mistakenly kick off the update)
  3. No real instructions or tips to guarantee a successful update

I feel like the update was pushed on users through the Bose Connect App and the arrangement of the app made it very difficult to avoid the new code.  FOTA updates are nothing new, and whether it's WiFi or BLE, the overall success of the practice far outweighs the failures.  With that being said, it seems that many of you were experiencing skipping from poor Bluetooth connectivity prior to the update.  Did this underlying issue contribute to the issues experienced with the update?  The number of non-IOS devices where the hardware / SoC architecture varies far and wide play a role in OTA post update issues?  There is an obvious issue in either the Connect App or prior versions of code when the update "completed" but ultimately reported inconsistencies in the version of code as recognized by the App vs that recognized by BTU.  The total size of the 3 files used in the update is 23.4MB.  Without knowing the error handling / integrity mechanism used by Bose...is it possible that corrupt firmware was accepted and loaded on some devices?

IMO, I feel that Bose should have provided more guidance and recommendations depending on the HW version, the SW version, and any issues experienced by the end user.  Most, if not every update I have ever applied to a network device has included some sort of update matrix detailing specific interim steps based on the version being upgraded from.  Maybe their engineering accounts for this, maybe not.  I do feel certain we will never know as Bose is one of the most secretive companies I know of.

Given the number of issues reported, I took a very deliberate approach as follows:

1. Full Charge
  2. Cleared all bluetooth associations
  3. Performed reboot / soft reset.....power off for 30 sec, apply charge for 5 sec, wait 60 sec and power on
  4. Connected via USB to the BTU site in "advanced mode" and confirmed the System Version (in my case it was 4.1.3 on headphones manufactured 3/2019)
  5. I also viewed the System Information and Error Log present on the device. My Error Log was minimal with only 4 entries of "Error, Device::sendQuery failed to send report (2 - v2)", what that indicates I don't know.
  6. Performed the update over USB
  7. Verified new Version and System Information via the BTU site.  The version info was consistent and there were no additional errors.
  8. Reviewed the BoseUpdater.log file located in C:\Users\<Username)\AppData\Local\Temp\BoseUpdater.log (make sure you have Hidden Files enabled) for any signs of failure.
  9. All looked good and powered up the headphones.

With the 4.5.2 update, the "white noise" I heard with 4.1.3 is significantly reduced, the immediate effect of ANC was noticed as the sounds from my HVAC and Air Filter mostly disappeared, there is still significant disparity between Off, Low, & High, and music still sounds like it is coming from a set of Bose Headphones.  I also downloaded a few of the AR apps and experienced the intended results with head movement.  

For the users that have experienced failed upgrades or degraded post-upgrade results, I would review the System Information from the BTU site (Advanced view by sequentially typing:  a d v <up arrow key> <down arrow key> as well as the BoseUpdater.log file and provide that information to Bose support.  The hope is that information is being collected as issues are reported and the information is being aggregated and presented to the appropriate BU withing Bose.

I don't believe Bose to be kind of company to intentionally degrade the performance of one platform in order to inflate a newer platform.  This is accomplished organically through product life cycle management.  In the case of the QC35 II platform, Bose has integrated AR into the QC35 II v2 models.  Why spend the money on R&D and manufacturing of a QC35 II v2 platform with the release of a new line (700s) just months away if the intent was to degrade the performance in order to inflate the newly released line?  It does not make business sense to spend financial and engineering resources on a platform and then create a PR / Support nightmare by sabotaging firmware.

bluedevilpharmd
Participant
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

Joined the forum to add my name to the list of people that have had issues post update. Not sure if I can return for a full refund but I am going to try. Seems like I should not hold my breath to get an actual fix from Bose since they will just tell you to make sure you turn on the headphones...

royial
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

Same here with qc35i. Since I upgraded the anc is really poor and the low configuration is same as high. I had a flight yesterday and it was horrible.

Maybe one of us can send Bose the headset for their investigation? It should be easy for them to see the issue.
rudabb
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Ditto...

There is no doubt that ANC has been lowered..Most of the noise filters through when Im outside ...ANC is almost gone.

SoundsGoodMan
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

Same issue here.  ANC is drastically decreased.  BTU updater was confused about the firmware version that was on the headphones after updating to 4.5.2 through Bose Connect app. 

Hoping for a fix soon!

diggery
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

Same here - definitely degraded performance.  I work in an office in a factory and background noise is much more evident.  Headphones also used to virtually block a boiling kettle, but now it's much more audible.

I have QC35's which I updated to try and solve a connectivity issue with my Chromebook (audio stutters and video freezing).  It didn't work so I borrowed my wife's QC35 II and updated them first to try and solve the connection. They worked great, the stutter and dropouts were gone (didn't get it with Anker SOundbuds either, just the original QC35's), but the NC noticeably worse than before so I came looking for an explanation and found this thread. Add me to the list.

And yes, I turned them on.

IreMan15
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

I too have updated, and noticed a slight decline in the ANC, but not to a severe extent.

One thing I just wanted to add was that I don't think there is an issue with the Bose Connect app. I remember from the old version of the USB updater that there are two different version numbers, one for the firmware, and a matching one for the voice prompt language.

I remember even in the past, that the voice prompt language can't be updated through the app.

So even if you updated the headphones through the app, the USB updater would always show an earlier verison of the firmware, because that was the voice prompt firmware.

I found a screenshot on Google of the old verison of the updater:

Capture.JPG

Since Bose updated the USB updater, it only shows one firmware number, which must be the voice prompt version.

So, there is more than likely nothing wrong with the way in which the Bose Connect app is reporting the verison. The reason why then USB updater is showing an earlier verison is because the voice prompt version is still on an earlier version

Bill D
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2019

I have QC35s from early 2017. They were working beautifully on my flights this weekend. I downloaded and installed 3.0.3 last night and the ANC has absolutely changed--it's barely noticeable. I notice no pressure on the ear, so something changed, and listening to vids of airplane noise there's hardly a difference between phones turned on and turned off. This is very disappointing and borderline shocking given the official responses here. I was preparing to get the 700s but I certainly will not until this issue is resolved.