royial
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I'm already out of warranty (qc35i) so due to the firmware issue I have a $350 headsets that worth like $15 headsets 😞
xycui
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

@Community_Admin wrote:

Hi all,

We'd like to personally thank all the users who have so far returned, or volunteered to return, their headset to our development team for investigation. These units are being used to assess and evaluate your concerns, and we'll be sure to post here when we have feedback or news to share with the Community.

In the interim, we would like to highlight that we do not encourage attempting to downgrade the firmware of your headsets, as this could lead to damage of the headphones. All current product firmware should only be delivered via the Bose Connect application or BTU portal. You can find more information on why downgrading the firmware for your Bluetooth product is not supported in the post HERE.

We thank you for your continued patience.

Warm regards,

Community Admin

That wording is kind of bull sh*t. If downgrading will damage the device. It only shows us that even your people/technology/engineer could not control your device. Which is so ridiculous. 

1. It is not a security update. Do you have virus detection on the headset??!!

2. Does your development flow contain unit test/integration test/regression test before release? Or just some manual test by some RANDOM/UNRESPONSIBLE person? 

xycui
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

@royial @joelirwin @rockbob @mcdmcd @iKarenSM and other people who are watching on this thread.

Anyone has a good idea for a better place which is more public and impact to escalate this issue? (press, publishing, etc)

royial
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

rtings downgrade of the score of the headset is just a start I guess. I guess we'll have more downgrades soon of other websites (CNET etc). I think this will do the work as well as the headsets units some sent as it's clear to see the issue.. So sorry to lose $350 due to an upgrade. Let's have we'll have good news soon. I guess the dev team is working 24/7 on it now due to the urgency of the issue. Let's hope for good news soon!
sweez
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

The best bet would be to grab the attention of a huge YouTuber who has used/reviewed QCs in the past, like MKBHD (who has recently reviewed the 700s as well), but that's probably pretty hard to do since old products in YT video titles don't bring as many clicks as new ones. Someone could try contacting him on Twitter though.

BTW, does anyone have a similar experience to me - I upgraded through the Android app, it says 4.5.2 there, but the website says 4.1.3. My ANC works fine after a soft reset, but as soon as I start switching connected devices (and ESPECIALLY if I connect something via the 3.5mm cable), it gets wonky, and then I need to reset it again. I hope that they're testing out the app FW upgrade process, since it seems like a lot of the problems have their roots there.

xycui
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

@royial wrote:
rtings downgrade of the score of the headset is just a start I guess. I guess we'll have more downgrades soon of other websites (CNET etc). I think this will do the work as well as the headsets units some sent as it's clear to see the issue.. So sorry to lose $350 due to an upgrade. Let's have we'll have good news soon. I guess the dev team is working 24/7 on it now due to the urgency of the issue. Let's hope for good news soon!

For the problem fixing:

Let's keep tracking on the thread, wait and see.

For the following up: 

1. I think we need to know how to prevent the regression from happening? 

2. What we can do if a similar issue is happening in the future? Nobody expected a 3-6 months update. What we can do if bose doesn't want to provide downgrading? Let's make an assumption that if the potentially updated firmware just producing the white noise with all Apple devices. Is that mean we have to use the device with Android phone If the downgrade is not available????

Mewo
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

Marc Henney (RTINGS.com): In the meantime, the best isolating over-ears we’ve tested are the Sony WH-1000XM3. The Bose QC35 II are a slightly better alternative if comfort and ease of use is a higher priority for you and they also cancel noise well, although their noise cancellation performance measured worse after the most recent update, so the Sony may be better for you use case. 

alen78
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

new user here, same problem.it looks like everyone can reproduce problem, except bose..weird!
iuni
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

06215241.png

iuni
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

If you don't play music or anything, you'll find the ANC actually almost not work..................................

Totally not work, i can hear everything outside, everything.