Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I just signed up to say that bose is just a bad company !!!!

They destroyed the outstanding feature so people can buy the new one....No way! not with me

Before that I wanted to buy the new one, but now? No, never

SONY is now my favourite one!!!! Make this issue public, share, write comments etc, so people don'r buy bose anymore...and maybe they will fix it, but it doesn't seem they want to...

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

I just updated my headphones (prior to coming here and seeing the issues - BIG MISTAKE on my part) ... now I'm part of team "BOSE ANC DOESN'T WORK"  After reading through the extremely numerous post about the issue and post that tech support claims they can't duplicate the issue nor do they appear to have made an effort to rollback the update to the last version where the actual ANC worked (which wasn't the previous update either) .

I am seriously considering buying the Sony WH-1000XM3 !!!!  This is rediculous 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

This is really weird how the developers team wasn't able to reproduce. ANC is not working at all! It's not that it's working a bit worse compare to the previous version - it's just don't working at all on both qc35i and qc35ii.

Meanwhile the update is still in the app so people around the world continue to update and lose their ANC. Not sure why Bose company is doing things like this. Sad.

I really want to go back to the original firmware version the headsets came with.I don't trust anymore any new firmware. 

Is there a single person here who updated to the latest firmware and ANC is still working properly? 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

I can't believe this firmware update is still out there to be downloaded and installed. It is a clear statement that the company hasn't really acknowledged the problem and how critical it is for all of us who just trusted them and installed it... Shame on you, Bose! 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@alen78 

>new user here, same problem.it looks like everyone can reproduce problem, except bose..weird! 

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is highly likely untrue.  What Bose said here is that they did not make changes to ANC in the last two firmware releases.  We can believe that or not - that's our choice.  Frankly, I believe that.

That is all Bose said publically.  They never said they could not reproduce the problem.  There is no doubt in my mind - they have reproduced the problem.  They probably reproduced the problem before they even started asking for users with the 'complaints/issues' to exchange their units so that the engineers can look at them.

So:

1. Bose has never commented in this forum about ongoing investigations.  So their lack of feedback does not imply they are not actively looking for a solution.

2. If you believe as they say that they made no ANC changes to the last two versions of the firmware, then finding the cause is going to be significantly harder.  Either some non ANC related code is the cause or the cause could be outside the firmware, for example some here wonder if the upgrade process itself somehow contributed (and there are two ways to upgrade - web site or Bose connect).

3. If and when they determine the problem, they have to fix it and the integrate that fix into whatever else they are currently working on and test it.

4. A similar situation with the QC35i turning itself on started at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018.  That went on until last Fall.  Bose began looking for the root cause back last Nov with units we sent them.  We are all pretty sure its a hardware problem (contacts in the on/off switch) and yet here we are some 9 to 11 months later with no communication from Bose about the cause.  So we have no reason to believe our ANC issue(s) will progress any differently.  Either they have not yet determined the cause(s) or they have and we will not find out until a firmware update is released and we test (since the released notes will likely not tell us what changed).

Bottom line imho - Bose has reproduced the problem but since we will not hear any communication from this point on other than they are investigating therefore, will not know whether they have determined a solution until and if and when they release the next firmware release - which could be in months.

p.s. - let all remember that it is possible (though debatable) that not everyone who upgraded to 4.5.2 has noticed a detectable loss or is unhappy with the ANC quality.  I for example upgraded and aside for the change in ANC during a phone call (which I posted about separately here yesterday), I hear a difference between HIGH and LOW and I am arguably happy still with ANC (though one could say, I just don't remember it being 'better' prior to the upgrade).  So if Bose has concluded that the issue is not universal, that will make the investigation more complicated and take signficantly longer.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@piollo 

>I can't believe this firmware update is still out there to be downloaded and installed. It is a clear statement that the company hasn't really acknowledged the problem and how critical it is for

>all of us who just trusted them and installed it...

Actually as I recollect, last week in the other ANC issue thread for 3.0.3 on the QC35i, the moderator did acknowledge that Bose is looking into the issue for both units and that they would communicate with us in this thread for both (and he provided a link to this thread).  IMHO this is as far as they will go - not acknowledging the problem but informing us that they are investigating.  There is probably a corporate policy and legal reasons for them to say what they are saying and to stop from commenting any further.  This may sound like 'fraternizing with the enemy', but I am grateful we have sparked their attention and have convinced them to resource the investigation.  Wkat is not realistic imho at this point is to expect Bose to 'behave' and communicate like our expectations dervived from other tech vendors.  Every vendor is unique and those of us who have lurked here for a while have seen pretty consistent communication and behaviors.  Saying things here expecting a behavioral or policy change is unlikely.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2019

So basically I should uninstall the Bose app from my phone to avoid a potential firmware update, or just send it back to Amazon saying it has firmware issues? It's been longer than the normal return policy, but Amazon's guarantee apparently allows me to send it back a looooong time later if I can show the product is defective. Thanks for helping me with the loophole Bose, probably gonna switch to Sony's better products now 😉

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

Hello everyone.

I just ordered the QC35ii's and have since found out about this problem. I have three questions:

What is the firmware version that new headphones have in them?

Is it possible not to upgrade the firmware?

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware to some other version than 4.5.2. and would you advise me to do that?

Because it seems to me as I read this forum, that every firmware upgrade has made the product worse. But maybe that's not the case.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2019

I think the updates are fairly automatic once you open the Bose App on your phone, with the headphones connected. I recommend simply not opening (or even installing) the Bose App. I'm not sure you need it, or at least you can disconnect the headphones before they upload the new firmware completely.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

With all due respect folks please don't expect Bose to fix this. They didn't with the QC35 i and won't with the QC35 ii. This whole scenario is playing out exactly as it did with the QC35 i. They broke ANC with a firmware update then refused to acknowledge it. After enough people complained they asked for sample units but were never able to find any problem. Meanwhile Engineering continues to say they didn't change anything. In the end, ANC is still broken -and- they took away the ability to downgrade. Those of you within the return period should consider the past when making your decision.