joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

@BobHam 

> What is the firmware version that new headphones have in them?

It really depends on where you got it from and how long they were in stock before you purchased them.  Could be any of the versions (especially if you buy off eBay).  About a month or so back, I was in the Apple store and they had four QC35ii's on the shelf, one was the newer "AZ" version (that's the end of the serial number) which supports AR and three were the "AE" version (the original QC35ii type) and the AZ had been out a few months at that point.

> Is it possible not to upgrade the firmware?

Do not install and run the Bose Connect app.  If you run it, clilck on the setting icon on the upper right hand corner.  If it says "Your Product is up to date", then you have the current version which is 4.5.2.  Otherwise it is probably downloading it to update your QC35ii and you should terminate the app as soon as possible.  You can check what version you have in the app by click the settings in the upper right hand corner, sliding it up until you see "Product Info", select/tap it.

> Is it possible to upgrade the firmware to some other version than 4.5.2. and would you advise me to do that?

Not possible.  Only thing you can do is let the connect app or the web download interface upgrade you to 4.5.2. There is no going back.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@mario64 

1. Agreed. They have not yet fixed the reported issues for the QC35i or QC35ii.

2. They have acknowledged that they are investigating and in the 3.0.3 post - referred reader to a future status post here.  But as yet have not communicated anything further

3. We do not and will not know what they are doing until (a) another communication (less likely), (b) a firmware update (more likely), or (c) this continues on for an extended period.

4. We don't know whether they found a problem with the turned in units or not (anymore than we do with the QC35i units that were turned in with the on/off problem).  Bose will not share information during an ongoing investigation.  We can believe what we want - I think they are still trying to figure out the issue(s)

5. They took away the ability to downgrade last year well before we began to report QC35ii ANC issues.  I do not believe the two are connected.

6. It is possible that they have a problem despite not making direct changes to ANC in the last two firmware releases.  We both could be correct.

pcraenme
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

I was considering buying this headphone and have been testing out one from a friend. I already knew about this firmware NC issue from reading on this forum, so I was warned not to do the firmware upgrade. I installed the Bose Connect app on my iPhone and connected to the headphones. However... during that process the firmware upgrade kicked off automatically in the app!! So I immediately shutdown the app on my iPhone and I think nothing had been upgraded yet on the headphones (NC still works fine). I think this is very bad practice from Bose. This upgrade should not kick off automatically.

This also means I won’t be buying this headphone now. Without this issue I would have. So if Bose does not fix this soon, I will be buying a different one. And that won’t be a Bose one, because breaking NC on headphones seems to have become a trend with Bose, reading also from QC35 I users here. I think you lost a new customer here Bose...

hatad
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Hey Guys,

Can anyone with a QC35ii  'AE' batch, confirm a serious degradation in ANC after the update? Could it be that the impact is on the AZ models which includes the AR capability that was supposed to be addressed in the 4.5.2 firmware?

Arzo
Advocate
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Hi.
I had AE headphones when i first updated it. Then i got a replacement unit from Bose that was AZ. I did the update so you guys could now if it was the firmware or something else.

It was the firmware....
The ANC is much lower on both devices, i can now hear cars and people talking. Couldnt hear this before the update.
Templellcgm1
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Yes. Do not download the bose app or connect your headset to a computer and download the software. You can connect via bluetooth without issue and you will enjoy your cans. Just ensure that you do not download the firmware.
GaryH
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

Sad to say that I found this forum after I upgraded the firmware and noticed that the noise cancellation was diminished. FYI, my serial number ends as AE with a manufactured date of July 14 2018.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

1. On both the QC35i AND qc35ii, there have been users both who say there is an ANC issue and those who say not.  I have an AE and I upgraded with Connect and the ANC seems OK to me and I can hear a clear difference between high and low.  Also the hiss on the previous version in a silent environment is now gone.
2. So if for argument sake we believe Bose that they did not change the firmware, then I perhaps there are one or more other factors - perhaps it had something to do with manufacturing date or perhaps which of the two upgrade methods was used.

I am certain that Bose is wondering and testing for the same thing as us.  What factors or combination of factors contribute to the issue, for example.  Now perhaps it was ANC was different before the upgrade and I don't remember it being different.... that is possible.  Bose is not going to want to make any ANC changes to the firmware imho until (1) they can  say definatively that the firmware played a role, and /or (2) if it was the firmware and there were no ANC changes in the previous two versions, then what else in the firmware contributed.  Until Bose can definatively say it was the firmware, they need to determine if the hardware itself (i.e., the manufacturing batch) had anything to do with it.  In other words, is it possible that certain hardware from certain manufacturing batch behave differently with ANC than others.

Wzhandrew
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2019

Is there a way to check the firmware version number and AR / AZ version of my headphones without downloading the app?
andy55
Participant
Registered since

May 8, 2018

Sadly I've also fallen victim to the 4.5.2 update and am currently in the process of returning my QC35ii to Bose for an exchange.

I'm hoping that the replacement set comes with firmware pre 4.5.2, although I'm not sure what my options are if they don't besides sell them on and move to another manufacturer brand.

As has been mentioned by some users previously, I've found the customer service agents to be pretty poor and often skip over answering questions.  They seldom deviate from the script of replies they have and have failed to provide any reassurance that the problem will be fixed.

The exchange service offered by Bose is a nice feature however I can't help but feel it's wasted in a case like this where there isn't anything physically wrong or broken with the devices and is clearly something that should be fixed by providing customers with a simple firmware upgrade/downgrade.

At present I'm finding it hard to recommend Bose QC35ii to anyone whereas previously I couldn't speak highly enough of them.

Hoping for a favourable outcome but I'll not hold my breath.

Unhappy customer.