iKarenSM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

You could send a screenshot or a link where you can verify that you have accepted this issue.

Thanks

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@ANC 

I can't say for sure what's inside our units or how Bose 'sources' its hardware for these units so I can only speak in general from my interaction with hardware vendors while I worked technology issues for a very large oil company in the 80s and 90s - though things probably have not changed much in the last 20 years on the chip front.  Our QC35ii and pretty much anything electronic is a collection of specialized chips that are used together to provide a function - in our case generate sound waves.  My background is computer science (where I did my masters and phd work) and not electrical engineering but every chip you use has a purpose and the actions it performs is governed by a series of toggles and instructions (I am trying to stay very general and layman here... ).  So whatever that chip is supposed to do, for example, generate a sound wave at a particular frequency, is controlled by a controlling program (we call firmware) which tells it what to do.  The instructions and the results to expect are documented by the manufacturer.   We would hope that all units of a particular model have the exact same inventory of chips.  That may be the case here with our units - they are all exact/identical.  But 'hypothetically' and this has happened in my years of experience with technology hardware vendors, a chip is not available in the supply chain, or another manufacturer comes out with a chip which they claim to be identical to the one being used but less expensive.  In that case, the secondary chip is used and in a perfect world behaves identically ALL THE TIME as the original from the original manufacturer.  Again this is hypothetical and 99.99+ of the time this secondary chip behaves exactly the same as the original all the time.  But occasionally, there is a logic bug in the secondary chip and when it gets an instruction or a sequence of instructions (since it may have to go through a series of 'states'), the result is different.  Now if the chip 'crashes' (whatever that means), the firmware programmers can easily figure out what was different.  But when it continues but with a different behavior as part of a larger entity - then trying to determine the chip with the different behavior could be challenging.

And what can make it even more difficult is when there is only a primary chip which behaves different based on when it was manufactured.  Again - that would be akin to having say 10,000 calculators and having 9,900 of them say 1 + 2 = 3 and 100 of them say 1 + 2 = 4 and then trying to determine what in the 100 units is different from the 9,900 other units.

Hope this makes some sense.

Highlighted
Ferdi
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 15, 2019

Hello everybody,

I have read the contributions for some time and cheered.

Now I've created an account to tell you about my situation & solution. It´s already been written here, maybe not in common,
just single steps. 

The update to 4.5.2 was also buggy for me. It was forced without having wanted it and seemed to have gone through unusually fast.

The ambient sounds were suddenly amplified; Between high and low ANC was hardly a difference recognizable, and the beep when changing, was hardly different.

Meanwhile, some measures later, it seems to be ok again.

How many of you have I tried the following:

Reset / reboot the headset:

To clarify the QC35 has more of a "reboot" than a "reset". To reboot the headset

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

All device connections disconnected by pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds.

In the app all connections deleted, the app reinstalled.

The BTU Updater loaded and executed; I also got an old version (2.xx?), so I updated it to 4.5.2.

In between, I have resettet again via USB cable.

Now I've run the BTU Updater in Advanced Mode;

Go to btu.bose.com on a PC or Mac computer

Plug your headset into the PC or Mac via USB

Click on the QC35II product

The update page will load and tell you the software is up to date

5 keys sequentially: 'a' 'd' 'v' '<UP arrow = "">' '<DOWN arrow = "">'. From the drop down menu, then click "apply changes"

Here you have the option to run the "update" on 4.5.2 again.

The result is a clear difference between high and low ANC.

I even feel that the sound has improved with this update.

It does not sound as much as packed in cotton. Before that, I sometimes turned off the ANC because I found the bass much better in the mode.

The current state is better solved.

Today I had the opportunity to try again the Sony MX3. The NC is a little better, but the sound is not so clear and real, they are still not more comfortable. So also the Sony1000MX3 let me hear Voices and traffic on High ANC, playing music and full ANC is more effective – like on the Bose QC35ii .

Conclusion:

There was definitely a bug in the update process for me - I think this half-done update produced the bugs. After updating via BTU updater and overwriting again the headphones seem to be in order again, the sound even adjusted positively. It is a pity that effects are already written by placebo, or are not taken into account by very subjective feelings and the problem of a failed update. The firmware can be used again, the device is not bricked.

I wish you much success with the correction of the update. Of course I can only speak of my device and hope very much that these measures help one or the other to a re-functioning headphones.

My Best Regards to the Bose-Community

BobHam
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

@joelirwin wrote:

The closer to 9/17/18 you get, the more likely you will have a unit with 4.1.3.

I bought them about a week ago and they have 4.1.3. Maybe I was just lucky.

nachtspieler
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

@Ferdi Thank you. With the new update via the Advanced Mode the NC works wonderfully again.

Serj
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@Ferdi wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have read the contributions for some time and cheered.

Now I've created an account to tell you about my situation & solution. It´s already been written here, maybe not in common,
just single steps. 

The update to 4.5.2 was also buggy for me. It was forced without having wanted it and seemed to have gone through unusually fast.

The ambient sounds were suddenly amplified; Between high and low ANC was hardly a difference recognizable, and the beep when changing, was hardly different.

Meanwhile, some measures later, it seems to be ok again.

How many of you have I tried the following:

Reset / reboot the headset:

To clarify the QC35 has more of a "reboot" than a "reset". To reboot the headset

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

All device connections disconnected by pressing and holding the button for 10 seconds.

In the app all connections deleted, the app reinstalled.

The BTU Updater loaded and executed; I also got an old version (2.xx?), so I updated it to 4.5.2.

In between, I have resettet again via USB cable.

Now I've run the BTU Updater in Advanced Mode;

Go to btu.bose.com on a PC or Mac computer

Plug your headset into the PC or Mac via USB

Click on the QC35II product

The update page will load and tell you the software is up to date

5 keys sequentially: 'a' 'd' 'v' '<UP arrow = "">' '<DOWN arrow = "">'. From the drop down menu, then click "apply changes"

Here you have the option to run the "update" on 4.5.2 again.

The result is a clear difference between high and low ANC.

I even feel that the sound has improved with this update.

It does not sound as much as packed in cotton. Before that, I sometimes turned off the ANC because I found the bass much better in the mode.

The current state is better solved.

Today I had the opportunity to try again the Sony MX3. The NC is a little better, but the sound is not so clear and real, they are still not more comfortable. So also the Sony1000MX3 let me hear Voices and traffic on High ANC, playing music and full ANC is more effective – like on the Bose QC35ii .

Conclusion:

There was definitely a bug in the update process for me - I think this half-done update produced the bugs. After updating via BTU updater and overwriting again the headphones seem to be in order again, the sound even adjusted positively. It is a pity that effects are already written by placebo, or are not taken into account by very subjective feelings and the problem of a failed update. The firmware can be used again, the device is not bricked.

I wish you much success with the correction of the update. Of course I can only speak of my device and hope very much that these measures help one or the other to a re-functioning headphones.

My Best Regards to the Bose-Community

@Ferdi same procedure, no improvment; 2 times from a windows 7 machine, via Chrome, and once from a windows 10 machine and using Microsoft Edge, both with the latest BTU Updater downloaded right before the procedure. Can you tell us what OS and browser you used? Maybe it's worth giving a try with the exact environment, although I doubt it.

Clemens68
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Hi all,

Just want to share my observation, I've bougth a Bose QC35ii last month and recently I bumped into this topic.

Since I bought the headphones, I've received two (forced) updates via the Bose connect app.  The connect app was telling me I was on the 4.5.2 firmware, while the btu.bose.com app was telling my I was on 4.1.3 firmware. 

The ANC performance was ok, I could hear a difference between high and low. Since I just recently bougth this headphones, I do not have a clear reference how the ANC performance should be. 

First reaction was, I'm sattified with the current performance so I will do nothing and just follow this thread what is happening. But it still didn't felt OK why there was a difference in firmware reporting between the connect app and the btu.bose.com website, and then I read the post from Ferdi and I became interrested in the procedure he explained.

So I EXACTLY followed by the letter his procedure (even if some steps doesn't sound logical, with software and bugs nothing is logical 😉 )

So my findings: 

1) starting with the situation of a having a conflic in reporting firmware version and to my opinion OK ANC performance (meaning a difference in ANC high/low performance)

2) did the steps of reset/rebooting/disconnecting and the first "normal" update to 4.5.2 via the btu.bose.com website; result: I did a test, and it seems that there was no difference between ANC high/low setting after this first update (swearing was also not suppresed by the headphone 😉 )

3) did a reset/reboot sequence, did an update " forced" to 4.5.2 via the btu.bose.com (with "a" "d" "v" "arrow up" "arrow down" sequence), result:  the ANC performance between high/low is present, and high ANC performance is OK <pffffff>

No clue if the ANC performance after this experiment is better compared to when I started, but there is for sure something funny with the firmware updates due to the mismatch in reporting between the connect app and the website.

Also the conclusion I made after the first "normal" website update that the ANC performance was bad was offcourse not scientific and potential "clouded" by the fact that potential it could become worse..... but yeah... perception of audio performance is subjective by nature

At the end, both the connect app and website report same firmware and ANC performance is good.

Some addtional information:

Bose qc35ii serie number ending with AZ, production date 26 feb 2019

computer for update: macbook running latest mojave, with new downloaded bose update program via latest Safari browser, to be sure, disabled my PiHole (ad killer) during the update process.

Good luck to everybody and share your experiments and be detailed.... that is they only way in which the community can help it self. Thanks Ferdi for the nice procedure!

Greetings, 

Clemens

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

After reading many posts here about the installation process including the couple from the last few days, of the 7 things I mentioned yesterday, I am beginning to think Bose may need to home in on #6 - the installation process.

1. There are two installation procedures and conceptually, they should say and act identically.  It does not seem to be the case.  For some but not everyone, the version reported by Bose Connect does not match the version reported by BTU

2. Some people have said that the ANC issue does not occur when the two report the same version.  I just checked mine and the two do NOT match and I don't believe I have an ANC issue.  So we can't say that there is a guaranteed relationship between the reported version numbers and the ANC issue

3. One of the installation programs is reporting the wrong number - they can not be both correct or can they be?  It is possible that the firmware in the phone may actually be coming from two different versions and perhaps that could be involved in the creation of the issue.  In non-techie terms if #6 is causing the issue, it may be possible that some of the data used by the ANC firmware (which Bose says was not changed), have the wrong values causing the ANC to be done improperly even if none of the code was changed.

4. I do not recollect ever using BTU to do an upgrade and I don't have the issue, but others can say the same thing (just upgraded with connect) and they have the issue.

5. Some people have been able to 'get back ANC' using BTU and others have said here they have tried the same thing and still have the issue.

So if the installation process (I call it #6 yesterday) has something to do with the issue, then (4) and (5) will pose particular problems and challanges for Bose engineers.  It's not obvious to me reading everything here (without seeing or knowing the code for both installation processes) that the solution or explanation is straight forward.  If it turns out to be #6, then the firmware will not necessarily be changed but rather reused and reinstalled and one or both of the installation programs will probably get modified with newer versions.

mseals1
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 23, 2019

I tried re-installing 4.5.2 through advanced mode on BTU, and it didn't change anything, sadly. I have reset the headphones twice, before and after the re-install.

I really want to love these headphones, but the ANC (which is the main aspect of buying these $350 headphones is severly lacking.

Edit: Also, my app will not show AR enabled for anything. It still shows the Music Share button in the place of where the AR button should be. These are brand new headphones straight from Bose. They were manufactured in June 2019, so they are definitely AR enabled (SN ends in AZ). I've deleted and reinstalled the app many times with no changes.

SoundsGoodMan
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

I've tried the above steps as well with no improvement.  In case anyone is keeping track, my manufacture date is Nov 2018 and serial number ends in AE.