Bram1984
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I'm having trouble to decide my QC's have the same issue. Can you guys notice a difference between low and high ANC? I clearly can.

Are there also headsets not affected?

Highlighted
gaoliang21
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

@noccer wrote:

You can add me to the list of people with issues. I use these on my daily commute to/from city to enable me to block out the surrounding noise and concentrate on my work. 

The ANC is pretty hopeless now. While they do repel a decent amount of humming noise from the tram, I can clearly hear conversations happening around me, when previously I didn't. I would often wear the headphones without music, just to get some peace. I might as well not wear them now.

To @bose : We customers are not just fabricating this problem, it is real, pay attention to your customers.

You need to drop the 'Data never lies' stance because you're going to lose current/future customers fast, me included. Launch an investiagation please.

I'm having exact same situation like yours. Actually I can hear the sorrounding conversation much clearer than without wearing QC35. 

digifredje
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Ok, just for the purpose of finding out what could be wrong wit other users, I will share my experience of upgrading to 4.5.2.

1. both my wife and I have a QC35 II with serial number ending with AE

2. we upgraded with the bose connect app (which took like forever) a week ago

3. when connecting the headphones to the laptop, the bose software update says we are still on 4.3.6, while the app says it is 4.5.2.

4. both our headphones are NOT affected with the ANC problems

Hopes this could help to found out what the problem is.

Fred43
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

@gaoliang21 wrote:

I'm having exact same situation like yours. Actually I can hear the sorrounding conversation much clearer than without wearing QC35. 

I have noted the same effect, even with other firmwares, even with other ANC headphones.

My explanation for this effect: The human ear does not work linearly. The perception of volume is strongly dependent on frequency. This dependence is also different for different volume levels (ISO 226:2003).

Because of evolution, hearing is more sensitive to frequencies in the human speech range (500-5000 Hertz) than to other frequencies. Consequently, speech is perceived clearer when other frequencies are dimmed. So, ironically, we may actually hear language more clearly with ANC than without it.

sudeep11787
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

There is huge difference in ANC for high frequencies definitely. Voices used to be muffled before.

BTW I found a really strange thing with mine. Windows 10 laptops don't send out the best of audio quality over bluetooth, so I decided to use it in wired mode (while being switched on). ANC is not adjustable when connected via wire. AND ANC was perfect, it blocked everything, the cancellation must be double compared to the wireless high ANC mode. Maybe Bose toned down the ANC to make NC 700 slightly better? 😕 

Chris911
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

My QC35ii seems to be OK after update but there's one thing I noticed.

When they're connected to my iPhone XR and I start a call while listening to music, the exterior sound is amplificated and I hear a white noise in the back. When call is ended, it goes back to normal.

Someone is experiencing a similar pattern?

sjcross961
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Upgraded mine too and having the same problem.  Voices in particular are massively obvious even with High ANC.  Let's have a fix BOSE, we know you did it.

AHMAD AMER
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 8, 2019

Put a post on Bose Facebook page complaining of the catastrophic update; and seems they were unhappy about it and took my post off!
To me the scenario looks like that:

1- Buy our expensive product

2- We somehow tamper the performance of the product we sell to you

3- You have the right to remain silent and never complain about it!

Is there any third party app that can install previous software versions?

Clemens68
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

@bose:

I’m not sure if I have an ANC perfomance problem because I just own the QC35ii for 1 month and these are my first noise canceling headphone so I don’t have a good reference like others on this forum; their experience is with older firmware and they might have a better/good reference.

You stated that there was no change to the ANC algoritme with the lastest(s) firmware update, and you did a validation/measurement in house which confirmed the performance is the same. I’m willing to believe that that is true (if not, it would not make sense anymore to have a discussion with this community).

That still leave the problem that people state that the performance is no up to specification/expectation, after the update. The problem is that ANC performance is subjective and different people a sensitive to different sounds, so this this a difficult figure of mertit to capture. A single number of how many dB antennuation will also not capture what people “hear”

To break the loop of statements “no changes to the firmware”  vs “I clearly hear a deterioration”, what about offering a self diagnostic feature in the bose app or via btu.bose.com website which would check the performance of the hardware of the headphones? If the firmware update has “broken” something on some certain products, then these could be flagged as “not ok”.  This would give you a lot of data from all of the products in the field compared to some of the single units that are physical shipped back for investigation?

Maybe this is not do-able or pratical, but just wanted to share my thoughts how to solve this. Heck, maybe such diagnostic tool is already available internally 😉 

Greetings, 

Clemens

gaoliang21
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

@Fred43 wrote:

@gaoliang21 wrote:

I have noted the same effect, even with other firmwares, even with other ANC headphones.

My explanation for this effect: The human ear does not work linearly. The perception of volume is strongly dependent on frequency. This dependence is also different for different volume levels (ISO 226:2003).

Because of evolution, hearing is more sensitive to frequencies in the human speech range (500-5000 Hertz) than to other frequencies. Consequently, speech is perceived clearer when other frequencies are dimmed. So, ironically, we may actually hear language more clearly with ANC than without it.

@Fred43 

Thanks for your technical explaination. However it used to muffle human voice, not completely but at least significant amount. With 4.5.2, the surrounding conversation stand out in ears obiously. I used to wear QC35II with playing music at very low volume or just no music. right now I have to turn the volume to high to stop hearing surrounding conversations. If BOSE can't fix this, it should give an options to revert to a prevous version of firmware.