Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

I have never personally done it myself (since I upgraded to 3.5.2 and my ANC works fine in all three settings).  The last one specifying it here was in the middle of page 76.  Try that process exactly.  Can't say why it works (if it does).  You may also want to consider uninstalling Google Assistant and Alexa apps if you have them and unpair all those devices if connected via BT.  Also set your action button to "Noise Cancellation" even if you don't use Google and Alexa.  Some have suggested the issue may involve the QC35ii microphone.  Not sure if that will make a diff, but worth trying.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Ali® 

Not sure what problem you are referring to, but the "ANC" issue was first reported the week of the release of 4.3.6 of the firmware which was on March 6, 2019.  We frankly don't know anything more than the statement Bose made last week they are working the issue.  We have no idea how they are resourcing it so without that data all we can say is that right now it is like a joint effort.  We should continue to try things 'external' like those reinstallation processes or microphone issues that could be impacted by the use of Google Assistant or Alex (like setting the action button to Noise Cancelling).  Bose engineers are going to have to go through the code which they say has not made direc changes to ANC looking for what could have impacted the ANC - it could be in the firmware, one of the two installation routines, or something else.  What is taking long is probably definatively determine the cause of the discrpency between their conclusions and ours.

Highlighted
rockran
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Ok. I'm out of ideas. I like the comfort and sound quality of this but hearing voices so clearly defeats the purpose of noise cancellation.

I'm going to return it. Unfortunately returns are not as straight forward in nz as it is in the states.

But it's covered by warrantee and this product is defective.

Highlighted
roar714
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 17, 2017

Joelirwin

Since you bring it up, where went the portion of forum discussion from that date of v.436 releast up until the subsequent v.452 in June?  Did they edit it out or park it in an archive or merged threat somewhere?  I ask because I’m late to the discussion which begins with v.452. I wonder if the incidence of bad experience reporting was less under v.436, meaning it affected fewer QC units than the 452. My replacement set received last week has v.436 firmware factory installed and there are clearly three ANC levels apparent, including off. Now, whether the high ANC setting in 436 was dressed down but not blown away in that version I have no reference base to evaluate.  Can you fill in?  I’m guessing the QC35 units coming off the production line will not have v452, but based on my experience of two days ago will have 436 which was on mine (manufactured in June).  

Is the ANC breakage believed to have effected units exclude factory-installed 436 firmware, suggesting that all damage is coming from the user installed updates?  

Highlighted
iuni
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

I just compare 3.1.8 and 4.5.2, honestly,4.5.2 is better while I am taking a bus.

so 4.5.2 just reduce the ANC for voice and the high/low mode dont have much difference.

I guess Bose want to support “ 

PRADY
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Hello Bose team,

Could you please ATLEAST acknowledge you are working to fix this in upcoming firmware upgrade. Please don't insult us saying that there was no bug in 4.5.2! 

Regards.

Highlighted
rockran
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Maybe when you have the music up high. Try playing some soft music instead.

Let me know. I don't have both version so can't compare in real time. But all you need is a few noisy people in the bus and you can hear their conversation. Now if you play your music loud enough it doesn't matter.

Highlighted
Aelanord
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

I managed to downgrade to 3.1.8 as well. Didn't feel much difference in ANC, maybe 3.1.8 does a bit better in vocal voice cancelling. But I do feel the bass of 3.1.8 is too heavy for me, so I switched back to 4.5.2 again.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@roar714 

I just read this forum like you.  I started lurking here last summer.  4.1.3 came out 9/17/18, 4.3.6 came out 3/6/19 and 4.5.2 came out 6/18/19.  I remember posts back in Mar where users were talking about changes in ANC and Bose moderators relaying that even back then that no changes were made.  Also earlier this year, the firmware for the QC35i which I believe was called 3.0.3 or something like that came out and those users were also concerned about changes in ANC.  So this has been going on with both models (technically three models since the QC35ii AZ came out in the middle as well).  You would have to do a search to look those up, I guess.  I have no clue which unsold units have which versions of the firmware.  What I did find out a few months back, when I went into an Apple store - guess it was about a month after the AZ came out - was that that Apple store had 3 AE's and 1 AZ on the shelf so the older products were still on the shelf to be sold.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@PRADY 
>Could you please ATLEAST acknowledge you are working to fix this in upcoming firmware upgrade. Please don't insult us saying that there was no bug in 4.5.2! 

Bose checked into this thread in the middle of last week on page 65.  I personally believe this is probably all we will hear from them for a while.  We ourselves can't say for sure yet where the problem lies - it may or may not be in 4.5.2, for example it could be in the installation software.  And Bose said they are still investigating so I doubt we will find out their conclusions until after they come up with a definative cause with a solution.

I am hoping it won't take as long as the QC35i on/off problem which was reported summer 2018, we determined the cause ourselves circa nov/dec 2018 and Bose did not officially admit to a hardware issue until earlier this month.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-ii-firmware-4-5-2/td-p/213820/page...