Highlighted
silvetti
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 24, 2017

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

@Community_Admin wrote:

Our test methodology includes multiple headsets across multiple firmware builds in controlled conditions to ensure consistent and reproducible results. Based on this rigorous testing, we are confident that the noise cancellation in the QC35 II headsets is performing as well as it has been since their initial production.

This reminds me when Apple engineers didn't understand why people complained about Apple Maps and other apps until they moved outside of their controller environment (San Francisco).

I was lucky enough to come read the changelog before doing any upgrade and have now just deleted the Bose app. I cannot recommend these headphones to anyone having in mind the type (or lack thereof) of response from Bose leadership.

Pretty appaling.

How are you still pushing this new update is beyond me, if you think anyone after this would buy your new headphones, you are out of your mind.

iuni
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

There are two changes:

1.The ANC for voice is worse.

2.The difference of high and low ANC mode become small.

Just test by your ears,most of us are so patient and try to find excuses for you.But you re-post the same announcement again and again. It's useless,and makes customers annoyed.

Nick-T
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

There is also the possibility that the Bose team's testing procedure somehow resets the headphones to behave.

I've been using mine (4.3.6) a lot the last few weeks, and I'm beginning to get the impression that results are variable without really understanding the conditions. Sometimes I get more hiss, sometimes almost none. Sometimes voices are greatly reduced, sometimes they are not. I'm wondering if the conditions of noise cancellation (how the device is paired, exact external noise situation, type of external noise) are triggering some kind of intermittent bug in the firmware.

If that is the case, then perhaps the standard Bose test sequence is failing to show up this bug. In that case it would be good to hear from the community admin "Our engineers hear you, and we are also testing them outside the controlled environment and with a variety of pairing configurations, to pin down what is behaving differently".

JAnOSC
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

What is W R O N G with them? Are they trying to go bankrupt? Are they that f********** stupid? You're literally building an ENTIRE CUSTOMER BASE against you, saying we're lyers, plain and simply. 

God I'm SO glad I only have this one Bose product, what a **bleep**show of a company.

just let us downgrade to BEFORE 4.3.6 because your headsets are just BS.

SirPhilippF
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 15, 2018

Guess this is really an interesting Video about the ANC performance with 4.5.2 against an older Version.
Take a look, seems that the latest FW reduce noise cancellation in terms of pink noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyC9QStmzcA

Did the recent update from bose make noise cancelling worse? In this video I test that to find out. My social media: https://twitter.com/dms3tv https://Instagram.com/dms3tv Snapchat @dms3tv IF you want to support the channel checkout the patreon! https://www.patreon.com/DMS3TV Forums: ...
dashskullsasq
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 3, 2018

@Community_Admin wrote:

Hi All,

First of all, thank you for your contribution to the Community.

I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the message communicated by the moderation team earlier in this thread. We have heard your concerns and went back to reexamine everything to confirm that the Acoustic Noise Cancellation technology on our QC35 II headsets is working the way it should. We confirmed that no changes to the software for Active Noise Cancelling or ANC modes were made as part of this firmware update and no impact to ANC was detected during our validation testing. Our validation testing is a comprehensive process which is part of all firmware releases. We have revisited our test records and confirmed there are no changes to ANC. Our test methodology includes multiple headsets across multiple firmware builds in controlled conditions to ensure consistent and reproducible results. Based on this rigorous testing, we are confident that the noise cancellation in the QC35 II headsets is performing as well as it has been since their initial production.

In addition, through our sampling program in which the Community took part, we have received some units from our customers. We have repeated our controlled test process on these units and have confirmed that each continue to meet our production standards and ANC performance has not changed between firmware builds. That being said, the team is still investigating and we will keep the Community updated as soon as we receive more information.

All the best,

Your Community team.

I guess a 16 year old boy could do more than you Bose, do

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@fauria 

> registered just to reply on this thread. I'm also affected by the  the loss of ANC following the upgrade to firmware version 4.5.2.

> Is there any way of rolling back the upgrade to the previous version?  Thanks.

To save you the trouble of reading all 88 screens and many other posts on this topic, Bose discontinued the ability to roll back in 2018.  It is a corporate policy.  They will not be changing it any time soon imho.  They have been dozens if not hundreds of 'complaints' about it in this forum.  Once you upgrade, you will not be able to go back.

And concerning Bose communicating - as I recollect, they last posted into this thread about a week or go somewhere around page 67.  We may not like the content of their post but they posted.  I am guessing they are actively involved in trying to understand/discover the cause(s).  We may not hear back from them with additional information until they have completed their investigation (or perhaps sooner.... who knows)?   Many here believe that their communication is getting better than it was earlier this year but is not their 'strong suit'.   While the past is not a predictor of the future and all problems ARE different, I will mention that the QC35i had a problem discovered summer 2018 about it kept turning on.  Bose finally admitted it needed to work it in Nov/Dec, 2018,  the users here determined the cause back in Dec 18/Jan 19 and it took Bose until this month to post that it agreed it was a hardware (not firmware) problem.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@fauria 

>Knowing that 4.5.2 broke ANC, I would like to know which firmware version performed best on the QC 35 II.

one of the issues here it seems that many have the ANC issue but it is not global.  For example I have a QC35ii AE which I upgraded to 4.5.2 via Bose Connect on mu iphone 7+ and I DO NOT have an issue - all three ANCs are distinct.  Though I will admit, I don't pay much attention to what I hear in the background - whether there is something there or not, it does not bother me.  Seems to be the ANC I always had on my QC35ii, the QC35i that proceeded it and the QC25 before that.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Community_Admin 

With all due respect, your statement today pretty much is exactly the same as the one you made here last week.  We have two groups here - your group says that everything is fine and those people here that are hearing differences.  It's like in any relationship - when there appears to be an insurmountable gap between the two groups, we try to look for a win-win/compromise.  I have made some suggestions to bridge this gap in the last week or so.  So here is what I would suggest:

1. First take a couple of units from people and check out the units - if you need to make changes, do that until you are convinced that the ANC is fine.  Send them back and get a second opinion from the customers that sent them in.  If the customers say they are still the same, then we all need to better understand the disparity between the way you judge ANC and the way the users judge them.  Perhaps you need the users to send in two pair each (you may need to temporarily supply them with a second pair that you and they both feel that works) - one that works and one that does not and then you can see if you can tell the difference.   However, if they send in a unit which they deem to be problematic and they get one back that they feel is now fine - then we/you can determine what you did in terms of testing and changing that made an impact.

2. But even better - you are probably spending a lot of money with engineering on this.  Lots of companies hire companies like for example, Plaza Research (I just picked that one because they send me lots of emails 🙂 ) to do marketing studies.  Why not do a marketing study with real people who are having issues.  Have them bring in their units which they believe are not working properly with ANC and do some comparisons with units you believe are functioning properly.  Or another similar approach assuming your engineering work is being done in Framingham.  Fly or otherwise collect people locally or perhaps anywhere from the NE corridor to Framingham with their units and do an in house study with the customers.

These options will help you bridge the gap with real people and not stay devisive with the Bose people saying the units are doing one thing and the customers saying perhaps the same units are doing something else.  I have to believe this approach would be a win-win for all or at least move closer in bridging the gap.

Miasma
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

@Community_Admin wrote:

Hi All,

First of all, thank you for your contribution to the Community.

I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the message communicated by the moderation team earlier in this thread. We have heard your concerns and went back to reexamine everything to confirm that the Acoustic Noise Cancellation technology on our QC35 II headsets is working the way it should. We confirmed that no changes to the software for Active Noise Cancelling or ANC modes were made as part of this firmware update and no impact to ANC was detected during our validation testing. Our validation testing is a comprehensive process which is part of all firmware releases. We have revisited our test records and confirmed there are no changes to ANC. Our test methodology includes multiple headsets across multiple firmware builds in controlled conditions to ensure consistent and reproducible results. Based on this rigorous testing, we are confident that the noise cancellation in the QC35 II headsets is performing as well as it has been since their initial production.

In addition, through our sampling program in which the Community took part, we have received some units from our customers. We have repeated our controlled test process on these units and have confirmed that each continue to meet our production standards and ANC performance has not changed between firmware builds. That being said, the team is still investigating and we will keep the Community updated as soon as we receive more information.

All the best,

Your Community team.

Well thanks for nothing I guess? It's 100% clear that the way the active noise cancellation works has been altered in the 4.5.2 firmware version. There have been multiple tests done by reputable sources verifying this. 

I used to be able to almost block out the sound of my vacuum cleaner with ANC on high setting b(without music on), but now both high and low sound almost the same, not being nearly as effective as before to block the static sound, not to mention speech etc.

Since this is the way you handle the situation, I'll handle it my way - returning the no longer so useful product and buying some other brand going forward. It's been a fun couple of months with this product, until you made it obsolete.