Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

So same nonsense from bose. Ok. First and last bose product. I never liked the boomy bose speakers. A friend sold me on the headphones and I liked them. But this is what the company is about, then back it goes.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

As I said from the beginning, Bose will NEVER acknowledge there is a problem. Just as they never did when they broke ANC with the original QC35. Again the takeaway here is to never ever update firmware on Bose headphones. Either that or never purchase Bose headphones. Thing is, I read that Sony did the exact same thing with firmware 4.1.1 for the 1000XM3. It seems they too are ignoring their customers requests for a fix

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Have just completed the software update on my QC35’s and it has reduced my ANC to virtually zero.

Any ideas when new software update will rectify this situation?

If this is not rectified think it looks like I will be joining the Sony camp.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

It makes no sense to invest efforts in a predecessor product if you want to sell the new one. Especially if the new product is not much better, like the old one and you make yourself competition. But you just never have to admit it. There are companies that design their products for a defined lifetime, such as the warranty period. If you look at the circumstances here, then it has a negative connotation.

I do not see any strong efforts to solve the problem. Wonder of wonders

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2019

Interestingly, both Sony and Bose have had similar complaints over the past year and barely any response by the companies. Makes me wonder if there's more to this situation than we're being told that forced both companies to downgrade ANC. Maybe some kind of IP violation or something to do with military usage to avoid certain countries outside the US having access to high-grade ANC?

This seems much too coincidental that leading ANC products suddenly remove thy primary feature from their products...

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

And while we're discussing here, the new 700r model sells even better

You will never know the real reasons.but there is still no strong effort to solve the problem.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

@Sharpa wrote:

Have just completed the software update on my QC35’s and it has reduced my ANC to virtually zero.

Any ideas when new software update will rectify this situation?

If this is not rectified think it looks like I will be joining the Sony camp.

Could you please enlighten? So your ANC high is almost the same as ANC completely turned off? Because that sounds way worse than some other experiences. 

And like many already said: Sony's ANC is practically the same. I even compared both today head to head with the same music. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Yeah, last Bose product I'm buying. Still no word on this getting fixed and not being able to downgrade is such a scummy move regardless of their 'reasons' for it.

I'm out. Peace

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

Well it's obvious almost 30k people are suffering from placebo. /s

Difference between firmwares is night and day. I've even had it confirmed by the salesmen, when they compared my QC 35 ii with the one they had in the store. I might add the headphones are still under warranty but local Bose representatives are refusing to exchange the headphones.

I am speaking with lawyers at the moment in order to solve this issue locally but I hope to turn it into a class action lawsuit. I plan to write both rtings.com and DMS(the youtuber) to use their tests in court. I will update this forum with a link to another platform(probably Reddit) where people can join a class action lawsuit if that should materialize.

I'm sure moderators will censor this message as they have done in the past, but I will make a new account in the event a ban happens and spam the forum so everyone can join. (good thing messages remain in the e-mail notification)

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 6, 2019

@davinderc wrote:

Maybe some kind of IP violation or something to do with military usage to avoid certain countries outside the US having access to high-grade ANC?

This seems much too coincidental that leading ANC products suddenly remove thy primary feature from their products...

I also don't think it's purely coincidental that - after a firmware upgrade of an ANC product - users start to complain the product has deteriorated. But I can think of many much more plausible explanations for this than IP / military reasons. Some explanations have to do with perceptual psychology, some of them even with astroturfing. For me, it is more plausible to assume people are affected by an acoustic perceptual phenomenon, than to believe ANC manufacturers are forced to gradually worsen their ANC via firmware upgrades. This to the general phenomenon, that after firmware updates of ANC products people start to complain.

In the case of Bose here, I don't think they are reducing ANC intentionally. Many did the upgrade and can hear no difference. Maybe they were lucky, maybe their ears are bad. But Bose says they even tested headphones sent in as affected and found nothing suspicious. Should we assume Bose is telling the untruth? Maybe question their measurement methods? How about the sender? Is it impossible that he could be wrong? A contradiction difficult to resolve, at least for me.

I do think that some few are actually affected by this firmware upgrade. In one way or another. It wasn't a smart move of Bose to disallow firmware downgrades. Many of them would stop complaining, wouldn't they?