Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

@Community_Admin 

>The reason why we no longer allow back-peddling of firmware versions of our products is because we have seen cases where installing older versions of firmware has created unexpected behaviour in a product and negatively impacted or reduced

>functionality.

With all due respect, this is not really what users are asking for.  They are not asking to go back to some random version.  They are asking for the same feature that has been designed into the installation routines for the Microsoft Windows environment for the last 20 years.  If you start with firmware A and have a problem with firmware B, then all they are asking is for an immediate installation undo back to what the environment looked like prior to the upgrade - version A.  It is hard for me to believe that going back to what the QC35ii looked like 20 minutes ago or even two hours ago could create any unexpected behavior anymore than it would have without doing the installation at all.  Your explanation could make sense in some general context but for an installation scenario is not imho accurate.

The users are not looking to do a unauthorized upgrade/downgrade or even to do a downgrade as the process you had last year.  What they are asking Bose is to modify the installation process to hold on to what everything looked like before the installation and then after the installation ask whether to keep the installation or go back to the way it was before the installation started.

This practice is still universally done in the laptop/desktop world.  For example, it very common to update say a display driver and then the installation asks at the end if everything went OK and if you answer No, it puts things back.   Simply, that is all that is being asked for - give the user a way to UNDO and installation at the end of the process - not next day, not next week, not two versions back.... a simple UNDO.

Highlighted
Clemens68
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Highlighted
Balken
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

I just want to go back to factory - i really dont care about changes made since! - they worked PERFECT outta the box - but i did not see the app updatede them auto! - so let us go BACK to factory setting / firmware - totally BS - and all from Bose just answer with BS long dont matter answers

BRING back the ADV with all versions - and ppl will calm down! - not that freaking hard!

Highlighted
Hailor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

So I have just downgraded. I followed someone's else guide on reddit. It went to 3.1.8. I was tired of waiting. Bose never did anything. They should invest more money in their software developers so they could release a version faster. It did change ANC for better.

Highlighted
fauria
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 23, 2019

Does anyone know what "RRA" means in this context? https://downloads.bose.com/lookup.xml

The new firmware 4.5.2 falls under the "RRA-PRODUCT" category, while 3.1.8 is stored in a "PRE_RRA" folder.

Highlighted
PRADY
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Could you plz explain a bit on ANC performance. It it now the same as before 4.5.2?

Highlighted
gravax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

@PRADY wrote:

Could you plz explain a bit on ANC performance. It it now the same as before 4.5.2?

It's the same unless you're one of the few unlucky ones for which the update messed up with the headset. In this case some people have managed to recover using various procedures (multiple resets or firmware downgrades or re-installs).

My headset behaves just as amazingly Bose as it did on day-1... And so after already 2 firmware upgrades since I've had it.

Most people will have no issue. Just a few of us have.

starchild
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

it made a slight difference only  - I stil get a lot more ambient sound that i ever used to.  No ressure ainst the ears at all when ANC turned on.

Highlighted
starchild
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 24, 2019

I find it very interesting that this happens just as Bose launches the 700 range.  Reeks of Apple batterygate.  ANC is nothing like it used to be since the update.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@starchild 

Actually, since I have lurked here daily since early summer of 2018, I can tell you that people began to check-in/complain about the ANC issue starting with the release 4.3.6 on Mar 6, 2019 and then more so with 4.5.2 on Jun 18, 2019 -- much before the release (and even announcement) of the 700.  4.5.2 came out to support the AR version of the QC35ii AZ.   Of course, the 700 was well through development and testing probably by March.