Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Friendly Fanatic

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

All I know is, I've done a nuber of updates in the years I had them and this is the first time it's been this bad.  Hearing conversations arond you was never a thing before.

Friendly Fanatic

Guys,

I highly doubt that its firmware issue with 4.5.2, it is something releated to Firmware Upgrade Installer (which helps to upgrade firmware). Why I am saying that:

1. I dwngrded to 3.1.8 : No improvement on ANC. (so won't recommend to dwngrde)
2. I updated back to 4.5.2 : No improvement on ANC.

3. I did it couple of times, by reseting my QC35ii device as well. : No improvement in ANC.

4. Bose consistanly confirming that they did no change on ANC settings on 4.5.2

I believe the root cause is lying somewhere in Bose Updater (not in firmware), in my case I got auto-upgraded to 4.5.2 by Bose Connect App on my iPhone. But when I connected via laptop it was still showing old firmware. There is something fishy happened with that upgrade process itself which messed up few configurations that wasn't supposed to change.

Unfortunely I couldn't test the upgrade process with Old Bose Updater version, as it checks for latest updater version at the lunch. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

@joelirwin wrote:

@starchild 

Actually, since I have lurked here daily since early summer of 2018, I can tell you that people began to check-in/complain about the ANC issue starting with the release 4.3.6 on Mar 6, 2019 and then more so with 4.5.2 on Jun 18, 2019 -- much before the release (and even announcement) of the 700.  4.5.2 came out to support the AR version of the QC35ii AZ.   Of course, the 700 was well through development and testing probably by March.

I have been complaining about the ANC issue since October 2018

Friendly Fanatic

@gravax wrote:

@PRADY wrote:

Could you plz explain a bit on ANC performance. It it now the same as before 4.5.2?

It's the same unless you're one of the few unlucky ones for which the update messed up with the headset. In this case some people have managed to recover using various procedures (multiple resets or firmware downgrades or re-installs).

My headset behaves just as amazingly Bose as it did on day-1... And so after already 2 firmware upgrades since I've had it.

Most people will have no issue. Just a few of us have.

I agree that there seems to be a certain amount of randomness, however is that bcesause some headphones aren’t impacted whilst others are or could it be because some headphones come with an already reduced ANC so people don’t know how good they could have been or maybe even just that people don’t hear the difference because of the environment that they use the headphones in? I would imagine a very small percentage of people with any product that doesn’t do what the think it should would think of going to a manufacturers community forum to raise the issue.

Friendly Fanatic

@PRADY wrote:

Guys,

I highly doubt that its firmware issue with 4.5.2, it is something releated to Firmware Upgrade Installer (which helps to upgrade firmware). Why I am saying that:

3. I did it couple of times, by reseting my QC35ii device as well. : No improvement in ANC.

I believe the root cause is lying somewhere in Bose Updater (not in firmware), in my case I got auto-upgraded to 4.5.2 by Bose Connect App on my iPhone. But when I connected via laptop it was still showing old firmware. There is something fishy happened with that upgrade process itself which messed up few configurations that wasn't supposed to change.

Unfortunely I couldn't test the upgrade process with Old Bose Updater version, as it checks for latest updater version at the lunch. 

1. How were you able to downgrade to 3.1.8 when the Bose updater only allows downgrade to previous release (assuming it still allows this)?

2. An update may perform a change on files that cause the issue while the previous version or versions may not touch those files, rendering the downgrade useless for this purpose.

3. Bose is not going to acknowledge this kind of issue, even when there's evidence that ANC degraded with the firmware upgrade.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-ii-qc35-ii-wireless-2018#comparison_2...

Quiet Contributor

Just registering that my headphones have also suffered with this issue since the upgrade. Of this I am certain as I use them on my daily commute. Should I be logging my issue anywhere else to highlight it? 

Friendly Fanatic

@cesarv wrote:

@PRADY wrote:

Guys,

1. How were you able to downgrade to 3.1.8 when the Bose updater only allows downgrade to previous release (assuming it still allows this)?

2. An update may perform a change on files that cause the issue while the previous version or versions may not touch those files, rendering the downgrade useless for this purpose.

3. Bose is not going to acknowledge this kind of issue, even when there's evidence that ANC degraded with the firmware upgrade.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bose/quietcomfort-35-ii-qc35-ii-wireless-2018#comparison_2...

Check the Bose Reddit (or Google it). We are not allowed to post the link here, since these posts get deleted. I also just downgraded to 3.1.8. It's pretty easy.

Can't say I hear much of a difference. I guess my unit was not affected.

Does anyone know how to block the update? Apart from removing the app, of course. 

Edit: Never mind. You have to manually start it, so we just don't do that.

Animated Arbiter

@Bram1984 wrote:

@cesarv wrote:

@PRADY wrote:

Guys,

Check the Bose Reddit (or Google it). We are not allowed to post the link here, since these posts get deleted. I also just downgraded to 3.1.8. It's pretty easy.

Can't say I hear much of a difference. I guess my unit was not affected.

Does anyone know how to block the update? Apart from removing the app, of course. 

Edit: Never mind. You have to manually start it, so we just don't do that.

One more to the club. is easy, the point is, "they" delete everything which says something about downgrade.

Friendly Fanatic

@Bram1984,

Thanks for the info! I recently purchased the NCH700 but I'm seriously thinking of going back to the 35 II now that this is an option (I will have to replicate the solution on MacOS, though... but that shouldn't be a problem). The 35 II has better sound overall and the ANC should be on par with the 700's after the "fix." Plus the 35 II do a much better job at blocking wind noise; so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of NC for this.

There's other issues with the 700s, like the hideous clunking noise when walking, so I better do this change and save myself 60% in price diff in my country (currently 4400kr vs 2700kr here in Sweden).

Bose is just not worth all that money for the 700 cans. I'm only sticking with them because there's no better option for my needs.

Friendly Fanatic

QC35 II Noise Cancelling doesn't work after last firmware update

A couple of days ago I though it would be a good idea to upgrade the firmware to the last version (I usually never check for updates) and after the update (I was probably more that 1 update behind the latest version) the noise cancelling functionality just disappeared, now I have the same "level" of NC in low and high. So now instead of having 3 levels (high, low, and off) now it's like if I only had 'low' and 'off'.

I'm returning this product if this problem is not solved soon with a new firmware update.