Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caffeine
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Re: QC35 II Noise Cancelling doesn't work after last firmware update

@caffeine wrote:

I ordered my QC 35 II a few days ago and afterwards came across this thread. I hope that my headphones don't have the newest firmware already installed and if so I will try to downgrade.

So I just reveived my pair. It came with firmware 4.1.3, manufacturing date 9th March 2019. I did a test. Since I'm not in the office right now, I played some office ambient sounds (people speaking, keyboards clicking, telephones ringing) on YouTube through my speakers. With ANC on high and no music playing through my headphones, the sounds were reduced by I would say 80% but still audible. With music playing at moderate volume I could not hear ambient sounds anymore. This was on 4.1.3. Then I performed the upgrade to 4.5.2. I cannot make out any difference to 4.1.3, although I don't know how well the headphones performed with a previous firmware (pre 4.1.3). I will probably perform a downgrade and test later. In both cases - 4.1.3 and 4.5.2 - I do hear a difference of ANC between high and low. Of course these results are purely based on my personal perception.

jbrugger
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Well the 'upgrade' from 4.5.2 to 3.1.8 worked like a charm. I used the 'mac enabled' version (edit wit iHex) and use 

python -m SimpleHTTPServer 5500

to serve the alterted lookup.xml. On 3.1.8 now. Have to be honnest, I hear a good difference between high and low now, but it did not result in the NFC quality I would have expected. But I had the feeling the 4.5.2 improved over time, so after 1 week of usage, I had the feeling it got better.

Is it a 'learning' system? I have no idea, but for now remaining on 3.1.8 🙂

Screenshot 2019-07-26 at 14.48.37.png

Nanias
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

Hey there guys,

I just created my account because after updating to the lastest firmware on my QC35 I had barelly any ANC just to find out this bulls%^$ from Bose.... I have my wifes QC35 side by side without the lastest update to prove they messed up with ANC, saying that we got used or that they did not do anything is ridiculous!

Can someone point me out on a downgrade path since Bose is playing dumb on this matter...

Cheers

jbrugger
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Just use google and search for: reddit bose 3.1.8

First 'hit'.

Nanias
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

@jbrugger wrote:

First 'hit'.

Thanks man, I will give it a look, maybe I can find the QC35 gen 1 firmware there too.

Serj
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@Nanias wrote:

@jbrugger wrote:

First 'hit'.

Thanks man, I will give it a look, maybe I can find the QC35 gen 1 firmware there too.

Unfortunately no QC 35 1st gen firmwares yet... I am waiting too.

Pawcio
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 10, 2017

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

After update my QC35II AE series to 4.5.2 on android and again upgrade to 4.5.2 on my Windows 7 x86 ANC work better.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Here is my take on the downgrade goings on for the last few weeks (though I am on 4.5.2 and one of those people who are currently OK with all three levels):

1. 3.1.8 'solves the issue' for those who have the issues

2. Bose may not have taken much notice in the past but now that there is an 'unauthorized solution', I am guessing they are taking more 'notice'

3. I have not personally looked at the solution but I am guessing it is not as simple as the Bose solution and may be 'daunting' for all but the tech savvy ..... unless.. someone makes it further/really 'brainless'.

4. This is not unprecendented - we are all quite familiar with the ways phones became 'unlocked' and I have seen similar 'situations' occur for users of dash cams wanted different versions of the firmware

5. The firmware is obviously 'intellectual property' and copyrighted by Bose.  However, the solution is coming from outside the U.S. apparantly and I am not an intellectual property lawyer (or even any type of lawyer 🙂 ) so I can not tell you if the site is in Greece what the laws in Greece are or what Bose's legal options are/will be.  So it is not possible at this point to tell whether Bose will do anything to try to shut down the Greek 3.1.8 site and even if it does, whether another non-U.S. site will replace it should that happen.  But what I am saying here is more than likely well discussed within Bose and we can assume they read everything posted here.

So I am left with the following question for you tekkies?.....

Is there a difference in the code between Bose's 3.1.8 and the Greek 3.1.8?  In other words will an upgrade process - executing code - (presumably written in the future) be able to tell the difference between the two?  And if it can't, then that poses an 'issue' back to Bose.... should they (1) ignore the Greek site and hope that it doesn't get many upgraders with a small to none impact or (2) should they now embrace the fact that there is a 3.1.8 solution out there and offer an authorized solution for just those calling into support needing the solution.  I would not want to be in Bose's shoes for this dillema. 

Let me quickly convey a story that happened to me just yesterday.  I have a Dell Windows 7/64 laptop.  Every time Windows Update ran - whether to install a windows patch/update or even uninstall one, when the laptop rebooted and Windows went through it's after 'reboot' configuration, it would make it to 11% and then error with "Windows Update Error. Reverting".   I tried all the google solutions, tried all the standard and 3rd party utilities, opened up a case with Dell and then finally called Microsoft and spent hours with them and nothing seemed to help (and Microsoft did not charge me - kuddo's to them).  Finally Microsoft conferenced and sent me a 5+ GB file which contained a full upgrade version of Windows 7/64 along with a new "product key" to register windows.  A complete working version - something requiring a specific one time authorization and not something that most customers would know about.  Upgrading it on top of the existing Windows took significantly less time than reimaging or installation from scratch AND it SOLVED MY PROBLEM.  Windows Update now works great.  Of course, MS drops support for Windows 7 in Jan (but like 3.1.8), I can still continue to use it without updates and support.

So why this whole story - the point here is that a vendor like MS can have a 'back pocket solution' used only when all the options have run out and it can be done 'quietly' and with little to no publicity.  It doesn't have to be available to the masses, but can be authorized and used in a case by case basis.  It provides superior customer support, helps foster higher quality brand name and lowers the need for negative publicity.   So what I am suggesting is the Bose take lead from Microsoft and instead of telling everyone not to use Greek 3.1.8, have an alternative back pocket solution for those for which all the other options have been exhausted.

caffeine
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

As far as I understand the process, the firmware itself is the unmodified original version. Only the updater is modified to provide the old firmware instead of the current one.

HelloWorld32
Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2019

Its not “Greek 3.1.8”. He found out on the internet and used it to downgrade. You can downgrade to any software if it has all the required files