Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Friendly Fanatic

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Your indifference to the problem leaves people no choice.
"We are working on this problem" is not the answer. The fact of recognition of a problem from Bose is necessary is first of all. Secondly, people need to be assured that after so long waiting, they will not get a response in the style of "We found out that changes to the ANC were not made, the topic is closed." Need a serious bug fix.

Friendly Fanatic

@ikozz wrote:

"We are working on this problem" is not the answer. The fact of recognition of a problem from Bose is necessary is first of all. Secondly, people need to be assured that after so long waiting, they will not get a response in the style of "We found out that changes to the ANC were not made, the topic is closed." Need a serious bug fix.

Qc35 gen I owners are getting a second ANC nerf already, first time was when gen2 came out, it was not as strong as this time, and not many people noticed the difference and they got away with that....

They will do it again if we don't demand a fix. And if they dont want to let us choose a firmware to instal, just get the code for the one that was working and make it available again with a sequential number...

This time now in my case going from off to low is like it is almost off, going from low to medium is like it is on low and medium to high pretty much does not change

Wistful Whiz

@Community_Admin 

>We would like to take this opportunity to remind you all that attempting to downgrade the firmware for our Bluetooth-enabled products is not permitted within the Community. This includes the discussion and promotion of assisting others with the

>development of unauthorized downgrades.

1. I hate to 'word-smith' you but to be more specific, did you really mean to restrict the discussion and promotion soley to the 'assisting others with the DEVELOPMENT of unauthorized downgrades'.  That would suggest we can't talk about developing a downgrade but we can talk about using a downgrade.  But how about talking about not downgrading ourselves but talk about other people who downgraded.  Or perhaps you want to restrict the whole use of the term 'downgrade'... but then people couldn't even ask Bose for a future ability to downgrade.

2. The first part sort of doesn't really make sense either: (a) people are not attempting to downgrade, they are downgrading and (b) why would someone want to downgrade within the community?  Does that mean it is OK to downgrade outside the community?  I think what you really meant to say is that "The use of non-Bose sites and processes to downgrade the firmware is not authorized by Bose and the discussions of these sites and processes are not permitted within the Community".

3. The cat is sort of out of the bag on this one.  People will find a way to let people/customers know about the process elsewhere.  For example, they could merely send a private message without using the word downgrade to have them get more information in a different non-Bose controlled community (like Facebook).  I hope y'all aren't planning on going through people's private messages looking for a discussion of downgrading.

4. The firmware as discussed here earlier today is exactly the same as the firmware that is already resident in perhaps hundreds if not thousands of QC35ii for people who mostly will never come here.  Again their 3.1.8 and the one referred to people here for 'downgrading' is exactly the same.  Bose will not know the difference as to how 3.1.8 ended up as the firmware on the QC35ii - was it upgraded or downgraded - no way to tell.  

5. Now that there is a way to get 3.1.8, why doesn't Bose take advantage of the fact that it is already happening and offer it through support only (unpublisized) as a last ditch way to give the customer back their ANC until and when Bose comes up with a better solution.

>As a reminder, this is due to reported unexpected behaviors and reduced functionality following downgrading product firmware

And EXACTLY what unexpected behaviors and reduced functionality have been REPORTED.  I would like to understand what they are (as I have never read about it here in 2018 or 2019) and why 3.1.8 has anything to do with that behavior.   And if it is true, then the customer always has the option in the future to upgrade back to 4.5.2.  However, I have heard about these reported behaviors before posted here from Bose but have never heard a single instance of what those behaviors look like.

> Attempting to downgrade the Firmware may lead to voiding the warranty of your product.

Again its not an attempt.  I assume you really meant "Downgrading the firmware....".   And again, if a customer has a QC35ii with 3.1.8 how will Bose know if it came with 3.1.8, was an upgrade to 3.1.8 or a downgrade to 3.1.8?  They can't.  So this comment is designed more as a 'scare tactic' more than suggesting a methodology that Bose can use to back up the statement.  With all due respect, I would suggest that comments like this will not have the desired impact intended by Bose.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

@ikozz wrote:

This!!

I called the service centre to try and get some answers and acknowledgment and the call centre lady put me on hold, came back and BOSE are still saying "the engineers have said there is no issue or changes"...............So in otherwords, Bose are still not even acknowledging there is a problem so no wonder people are taking matters into their own hands and are looking for a fix (by downgrading to a version where we cant hear people talking or typing even when on HIGH!!!

Strident Supporter

FOR those of you that have AZ models, i dont think it will help you so much with downgrading. I think bose already made them worse when makeing it. 

They already planned to make the qc35 ii worse because they want to make the 700 look good.

But if im wrong, please tell us, if someone with AZ did the downgrade. 

Thats why they want all of you with older models to send yours in, if you get the upgrade, you have no evidence and cannot claim that it was better before .

Animated Arbiter

2 quick words:

- The Greek guy is probably doing a good amount of money (he deserves!) due to bose own errors/bad policy (still don't know what is in fact). Bose could be earning even more money if they assumed they error/mistake in QC 35 and even in 700 sales. I've advised all the people in the work who enjoyed my QC 35 and have said "wow, that headphones are amazing" to do not buy them. At leat 2 or 3 sales were avoid due to me, I can say.

- The customer is ALWAYS right. If you say it isn't, the customer will find a way to be right 

Friendly Fanatic

Initiated return process. Guys post your honest reviews on amazon. I work in software, we make mistakes. But you tell your customers that you are working on a fix.

Quiet Contributor

Hey

Just registered to inform you to add me to your list of unhappy customers.

4.3.6 was a minor downgrade from previous versions however the latest update literally is useless.

How do I know ?

Unfortunately, I have a certain level of OCD when it comes to selecting the volume which I prefer to be in the range of 20% , 25%, 33%, 50% and so on which are easily possible by visually adjusting the slider.

Fortunately, it allows me to measure the level of volume required to drown out the noises in the flight I take almost every month.

Where it earlier  (When I bought the headphones) took 25-33% of volume to drown out plane noises, random conversation , child crying etc. ; It now takes 50% or above to achieve the same result. 

My phone hasn't changed , my music hasn't changed (tried the same track) then why am I suddenly starting to pick up randome chatter and stupid noises even at 33% volume ?

Now I am no developer and I understand that you may not have touched the ANC code in the new firmware however something is terribly wrong or maybe something that you changed is interacting in a badway with the microphones or the ANC code. Well TBH I don't know and I don't care. 

The whole reason I bought these headphones were because of your reputation and you product which used to be the king of ANC headphones.

I do not expect this type of issues from a company like BOSE.

I just hope you solve this issue. Maybe try to develop a new firmware with pre 4.3.6 modules which are known to work better or maybe the signature of the noises you are trying to isolate. I don't know what but if this continues, I will be jumping the ship to Sony which are absolutely amazing interns of ANC although I would still prefer BOSE.

PS: stop testing you headphones in a controlled environment. That is just stupid. Give your employees the same for a trial. Only then you may receive some real life feedback or maybe a program where users can try and test.

Audible Advocate

Just wanted to contribute here aswell. Bought my QC35 IIs couple months back. Auto-update initiated immediatly when setting up the headphone the first time. ANC was way worse than the demo in the shop (Belgium). Currently on 4.5.2.

I have an AZ version so I was wondering if anybody has a succesful fix with downgrade or anything else.

Hope Bose comes with a decent solution fast!

Friendly Fanatic

Hi all,

To share an observation which could help detecting if the firmware has broken the anc performance related to no difference between low and high setting.

Currently it is pretty hot in the place where I life, and I was sitting exactly in front of a ventilator. I noticed that at the high anc setting I would hear I lot of wind noise from the fan just like you would have if you would drive on a bike on a windy day. When I switched to the low anc performance that windy sound would disapare while still doing noise canceling. I’ve read somewhere that the low anc setting was designed for noise suppression to cope with wind noises, so that seems to work nicely. 

I have a QC35ii type AZ with 4.5.2 updated via the bose website.

Maybe this test helps indentifying headphones which could be updated incorrectly to 4.5.2 and broke the ANC setting between low/high.

I have followed this thread from day 1, while tempting to experiment to update the firmware to older version to potentially improve the ANC performance, I also don’t want to risk to brick my headphone and/or lose guarantees because potentialy Bose could detect this (AZ version never had old firmware). Currently happy with anc performance, and only when there is an objective way (read : no listening test because I don’t trust my own ears/mind when the differences are too small) to determine if the ANC performance is broken I will take action, first returning under warantee, because I don’t think I need to fix a product which I bought by flashing to an older firmware via an unsupported way. (Stilll kudos to the greek guy figuring out ;-) )

Clemens