Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

@Community_Admin 

You are probably aware of this but let me re-iterate....

this post is now over 100 screens.  Very few people have looked at all 100 screens.  With the number of posts happening in this thread, within a day or so, any post will be a couple of screens back and the further back it gets the probably of someone seeing it - even back 2 or 3 screens - will be very small.

So posting a 'policy', 'making a statement on status', or other warning people of acceptable behavior will likely get looked at only on the day of the posting possibly.

So this thread is more about disucssion and venting.

I understand Bose's interest in consolidating information into a small number of threads.  But at this point, it is not a good idea imho to combine it with other posts especially ones from you and the administrators.  Quite honestly imho, you are likely to get more attention and readers if they are separate and are 'pinned' than if they get 'buried' 5, 10, 20 screens back in this 100+ screen post.

By today or tomorrow, for example, it is increasingly unlikely that anyone will know about / read the 'warning' that you posted in this thread yesterday.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Same here, went back to the Bose store I bought mine at in Aus, and the guy was like "huh? first I'm hearing of it" I showed him this thread on my phone which he flick scrolled quickly without reading anything. 

(quick note, my only real problem, coz it'd been driving me nuts in quiet rooms, was a white noise hiss in the left speaker, not due to partial deafness in my left ear cos I'd tried them on the other way around coz I'm a fû¢£¡ng genius 🧐 ..and it'd gotten louder over course of two weeks since purchase)

Then this unbelievable conversation occured between me and the Bose guy, which was more like a modernised Abbot & Costello routine:

Him, after connecting my boseQC35ii's to a laptop:

"Says Here there's an update available, U hadn't tried that?

me: "U mean the 4.5.2 update? It dl'd automatically when I first connected them to my phone"

him: "well, it says here there's an update available"

me: "is it for firmware v 4.5.2?"

"Yes"

"as I said, I already have it"

"well it says here there's an (Seriously guys..) update available, It'll only take 5 minutes"

"Errr... (I sighed)  Ok, fine, let's see what updating 4.5.2 with 4.5.2 does, who knows- maybe some miraculous double positive will solve the problem.. & maybe even world hunger" 

his expression didn't change from 'numb' at any point during any of that.

him: "all done!"

"cheers, you try first...  How's that left ear sounding?"

"... ... ...hmm yeah it's still there-"  suddenly his expression brightened for once "I doubt it's the Firmware dude, it's obviously a faulty mic issue.. I'll just change them over for you... here we are, nice new pair, I'll just print U a new receipt and you'll be good to go!"

"does the new pair come with 4.5.2 already installed, cos I'd like to start from scratch just in case"

"no I don't think so...maybe? I'll check.."

he plugged them into his laptop, and so help me Christ while I was looking at some plugs for sleeping.. he updated the firmware..  whatever, thought I, let's have a listen... wow, all good, no left hiss, ANC levels clearly working as they should, happy customer. I went home.

That was yesterday... This morning I put them on, flicked the switch.. A hiss now in RIGHT EAR !! switched them around just in case I'd gone partially deaf in the right ear over night, I hadn't. W..T..F!?

so finally, what ya'll think? Anyone else with just a one ear hiss problem? could it not even be the 4.5.2 firmware as my ANC levels show no noticeable problems, unlike most people posting here? or have just been coincidentally v unlucky with these two pairs of the headphones?

cheers!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

@joelirwin wrote:

@whythe7 

> also I'm in Australia, if somehow this is more a regional thing as I'm sure I've not read anyone way they bought there's in Aus on here..
It's Monday - a new week.... 🙂 🙂

So some years back when I was in Ecuador, I was at their monument where the equator was an they step on one side of the equator and showed the water rotated in one direction and then stepped on the other side and showed the water rotating in the opposite direction.... yeh, .... right 🙂 🙂

So here is what I think based on your comments.... perhaps ANC performs one way north of the Equator and a different way south of the Equator.... you know... sound vibrations move in opposite directions...

happy monday.

that's hilarious, the ol' coriolis effect..

when I said reginal I didn't mean the two hemispheres, I meant different countries everywhere, and I guues I shouldn't have said "as if somehow" as what I meant by that was "AS IF somehow" like, "I highly doubt it cos it cos it would be impossible, SURELY!"

thanks though, good laugh.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2019

I've been watching this forum for a few weeks now and have compared firmware 3.1.8 with 4.5.2 and sorry to say I cannot detect any difference of ANC my (AE) QC35II headphones.

Note: I've purchased these headphones based on this review great review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qMYKNutb4 and if you listen from 6 mins onward you will hear the typical ANC performance. Yes, you can hear background talking in the coffee shop. It was never completely cancelled out!

I remember being wow'ed by them when I first tried them on in the shop and it drowned out load music playing on an adjacent HIFI system and guess what, it still does that when using my home HIFI system!

Like many I purchased these to drown out noise on long haul flights and testing, at home, with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7KgV2edvI&t=60s they still do pretty good!

I do believe that BOSE has not made any changes to ANC and would not do that to make the 700 appear better.

I would suggest that BOSE invites a couple of impartial reviewers to see in-house performance of several headphones running different firmware versions. Make a video of the tests and make it available on YouTube for everyone to see. That way they can prove that nothing has changed...

Lastly, I think you should check the ear cushions for wear and leakage if you think the performance has actually got worse…

CHECK PRICES or BUY HERE US & International - http://geni.us/vSzW6fA BHPhoto - https://bhpho.to/2z6ylUc Full Transparency for my audience: Links above are my...
Buy Airplane Cabin MP3: https://goo.gl/qn92DR You've reached cruising altitude on your transatlantic flight. The crew has turned on their cool new blue night...
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@kelvin66 

Like you, I have been regularly upgrading my QC35ii (which I received last Nov) using Bose Connect and as far as I can tell, they are performing perfectly including ANC where I can definately hear the difference for all three levels.  Thing is, we can not assume the behavior for one or even for a group applies to all.  For me, there is no question in my mind from reading all 101 screens of this post, that there is a group/collection/whatever you call it for QC35ii's whose owners have upgraded and they no longer believe the QC35ii's ANC is working the way it was previously.  In fact, some of them have reverted back to an earlier version of the firmware (3.1.8) and as a result of doing so, suggest/claim that the ANC performance has been restored.

Bose has said it has not made changes to ANC in the last two firmware releases - 4.5.2 and 4.3.6.  So we have a difference of opinion/conflict here - some say yes and others say no.  What is needed is an investigation and explanation of the behavior.  I personally do not believe there is a methodology or other reason to explain why those who say 'yes' are mistaken and that their QC35s are performing correctly.  No amount of laboratory measurements and tests can make customers change their minds from yes to no (change).  Those who believe their ANC has been changed need to be believed.   And a cause needs to be determined - whether it be something to do with the microphone (to support Google and Alexa) or AR or the upgraded process itself or even something about the way the units were manufactured - there is a reason and I also believe Bose is making an honest effort to determine that cause and to eventually be transparent with its customers as to that cause.

Once a validated cause has been determined, we make not 'agree' or 'like' the explanation and we may not agree or like how it will be handled or addressed, but we have not made it to that bridge yet.  The search goes on....

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2019

I bought my new Bose QC 35 II one week ago and was impressed how efficient the noise cancelling was. Today I updated to firmware 4.5.2 and now ANC is nearly useless. I have tested it in the same environment as the days before. I tried everything from Bose Updater to reset to factory settings. But it still doesn't work as before.

If Bose says it is not a bug, but so many people complain, why does Bose not simply offer a downgrade to the former firmware version(s)? (Only via updater, not necessarily via App). Just give us as users a choice. The headphones are expensive enough!

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2019

@RSCCjust take them back to the store where you bought them. Some have said this is a result of bad microphones, so maybe you can just get them exchanged for a properly working set.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2019

@davinderc That is a solution for me, but not for all the others. And the microphones have not changed during the firmware update.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 6, 2019

@RSCCI didn't say they did... From what someone described, it is possible the new firmware is incompatible with the microphones in some devices (who knows how it all works). However, it should not be the customer's responsibility to make a new product work... Bose needs to step up to the plate, rather than let users figure out how to resolve this. Leaving users hanging gives the impression that they don't stand behind their products.

EDIT: I would even go so far as to say the headphones might have extra hardware that the previous firmware didn't use, potentially breaking now that it is using hardware with limited previous testing.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 28, 2019

I got my QC35II headphones on June 28. Unfortunately I can't remember what firware they were running. ANC was great on long distance flight. Couple days ago IOS app popped the message that there was an update. I tapped on update. Update did not complete successfully and displayed a message saying it was taking too long. Nothing seem to have changed at a time. Later after I used headphones again, ANC on high wasn't nearly as good. IOS app was reporting firmware 4.5.2, but I when I connected through USB it ran the update and updated to 4.5.2 again. I tried resetting and repairing. No improvement on ANC on high. Intentional or not, but ANC is definitely worse. I am thinking of trying to call Bose and see what they say.