ViktorM
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 22, 2018

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Mine are AE as well. 

After the update to 4.5.2 the Noise cancelling is virtually non existent to voice and high frequency sounds, no matter if set on high or low. I can clearly hear the voices outside, and even bird sounds which were perfectly filtered before. 

It's as if the ANC has turned into a high-pass filter, it's completely ineffective, as it appears that most of the noise is blocked by the cussions, and that's just sad...

Bose, please acknowledge the issue and provide a clear fix, or a procedure for us that are affected. It's truly dissapointing to turn a great pair of headphones with the best ANC (when I bought them) to such low quality garbage. 

ViktorM
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 22, 2018

Well, I can confirm that covering the external microphones creates a slight difference, barely noticeable, with the mics covered with my fingers I can hear low frequencies clearer (as in speach), and as soon as I uncover the lows are cut off.

This does mean the mics are working, however the ANC is significantly lowered. I am hoping this is a software issue and Bose can fix it, as I've had and loved these headphones for quite some time now, I don't imagine they will allow me to replace them.

Unfortunately I won't be back in the next few months, so I'm not able to complain in the dealership any time soon...

Proximableu
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Thanks, i would think it is a volatile calibration data of microphone gains, excuse my technogibberish. Once corrupted it will newer come back even if you reinstall firmware. 

Does headphones has a ”magic” key combination for ”defaults” revert? Like, switching on while pressing ”upp” or ”alexa” button? Or both ”up” and ”alexa”...

Highlighted
Gooner21
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2019

@Muzic_Adore wrote:

Well, there’s a threadmentioning about those headphones with AZ and AE serial numbers. Some believe that the ANC issue is only affecting those headphones with AZ serial number. After reading more and more threads, Im very certain that it has nothing to do with AZ or AE batches but the firmware itself. As soon as one jumps into the latest update, there goes the ANC issue just like the rest of people here.

Definatley not true, I had AE's and lost ANC when updgraded to 4.5.2, retured them via support and got AZ's with 4.1.3 and all is perfect again .....mnore to do with firmware than hardware

ViktorM
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 22, 2018

From another thread, but it doesn't seem it's restoring any defaults:

To clarify the QC35 has more of a "reboot" than a "reset" . To reboot the headset

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

Still you'd think that with a firmware upgrade the mic calibration would be restored, but no such luck, if that is the root of the issue. 

Proximableu
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Exactly.

Just specilating: say, the first routine a fresh installed firmware will do is upgrade/set calibration parameters. It does it just only once, on fresh install after reboot. And if this fails, you would end up with incompartible parameters set.

If you could trigg this ”routine” via ”magic” keys, it would try set parameters again. 

TurbZ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

There's a whole thread on Reddit with many people inc this https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/ce360a/the_verge_bose_qc35_ii_owners_complain_of/eviwu5t/?... where:

(a) Bose Connect iOS failed to do proper upgrades and needed a Mac manual upgrade taking the firmware from 4.1.3 to 4.5.2, then

(b) After this "upgrade" the Low and High Noise Cancelling is identical. Nicely done Bose!

Is there a place where we can see all the firmware upgrade release notes?

guitarjorge24
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

I agree the app should have some sort of release notes for an update so you can see what it does befoer you update. That way, people can choose to not update it its something thats not important to them. The noise cancellation seems to be working fine for me in 4.5.2 in high mode although Im not sure if theres a difference between high and low mode now.

gravax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

So following this thread... my QC35II is AE serial number. I have auto updated it 2 times since I have it, throught the mobile app. It works flawlessly.

Since I'm in an airport, I figured I'd go to the duty free and try the competition. I tried the latest Jabra, the latest Sony (M3), and the Bose 700. Well. I'm definitely sticking with my QC35II. The Bose 700 is on par (for my ears) in ANC. Supposedly better for voice communications. But since it doesn't fold as small, not upgrading. Materials do feel a bit better. The Sony let's le hear more outside noises (people talking, transient sounds) and seems to do the same quality for continuous sounds. So no interest. And the Jabra is heavier. It has a cool "passthrough" mode where you can listen to outside sounds (even slightly amplified) which is great if you're waiting for a low volume signal. Still not significantly better and ANC still not as good as the QC35II.

All of you who want to ditch Bose for another brand, be prepared to have slightly less quality ANC.

Ray-J
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

@Muzic_Adore wrote:

Hi

could you let me know what is your serial number starting with AZ or AE? How are things now with the ANC? Tell us how you updated yours via bose connect app or by computer? Im so scared to upgrade bc I bought qc35ii strictly bc of the ANC. I dont have another $400 to spend on the new “ better” pair of headphones. Im so bummed that so many people are affected by this screwed up “ update “

Donot install Bose Connect app, it will force an update and ruin your ANC. For me I wouldn’t even consider any firmware update yet until there’s a new one that really works.