abidk
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I've just registered to say there are others who are just following this thread @bose

To help in some way, the headphones were updated via. ios app. I installed the desktop app to try the 'reset' steps posted, the desktop app stated I was on version ~2.0.1 and I should update to 4.5.2.  It seems odd the desktop app detected a really old version when I already had 4.5.2 installed on the headphones. I have the AE version manufactured in 2017 if that makes a difference.

I use the headphones daily on the London Tube and the screeching is coming through louder. The background noise is coming through louder IMO. As you previously stated your tests are showing no changes, but I would suggest trying it on the Tube where the difference is day and night.

Bram1984
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

@abidk wrote:

I've just registered to say there are others who are just following this thread @bose

To help in some way, the headphones were updated via. ios app. I installed the desktop app to try the 'reset' steps posted, the desktop app stated I was on version ~2.0.1 and I should update to 4.5.2.  It seems odd the desktop app detected a really old version when I already had 4.5.2 installed on the headphones. I have the AE version manufactured in 2017 if that makes a difference.

I use the headphones daily on the London Tube and the screeching is coming through louder. The background noise is coming through louder IMO. As you previously stated your tests are showing no changes, but I would suggest trying it on the Tube where the difference is day and night.

Is this while listening music or music of and just ANC on high?

abidk
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

@Bram1984  this is with ANC on high and no music.

Nigges
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

Made a downgrade - ANC is fine.

Hope @bose does fix this issue immediately in order to come back to actual firmware

That's annoying 

Vinnie205
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

How was the ANC performance when QC25 and QC35 came out in comparison with QC15  and QC20 (both not firmware upgradeable) and apparently QC25 is also no longer firmware upgradeable? 

QC15 and QC20 noise cancellation works very well (I still own them and happily use them). I also noticed the QC20 has a more noticeable hiss too in a quiet environment.

Just bought a new QC35 II with 4.3.6  (may 2019 build date) very recently because I wanted bluetooth wireless with longer battery life.  I can hear the different levels of ANC between high/low/off.  Are some people here saying there's no noticable different between their high and low?  Some seems to even say high/low/off makes no difference as if ANC is completely disabled.

Comparing QC15 against QC35 ii in my home environment,  the QC15 has that stronger pressure feel and 'feels' more quiet.  However,  when doing a tapping test with my hand on the couch. The QC35 ii actually blocks out more of that tapping noise. Maybe the 3.1.8 ANC behaves more like the QC15?

I have a gas fireplace,  the hissing sound feels more blocked on the QC15 and I feel a stronger vacuum effect too,  compared to the QC35 ii. 

Clapping my hands,  the QC35 ii also blocks out more of the noise than the QC15.

With my Robot Vacuum running,  the QC35 ii block out more noise but I'm more conscious / aware of it than the QC15.  The vacuum effects seems to do something with the perception of noise level?

However,  if I'm in a relatively quiet environment,  the QC15 cabin pressue / vacuum effect seems to 'feel' more quiet... maybe the QC35 ii has a more natural hiss similiar to the QC20 in a quiet environment?

Next time I go on a plane,  I will compare my QC35 ii with my QC15. 

Definitely staying on my current firmware until the dust settles on this issue.

Happy to test anything else with what I have if anyone needs my help.

I stopped using apple products when they started their no firmware-rollback policy.... 

Rafael QC35ii
Participant
Registered since

Jul 12, 2019

"I stopped using apple products when they started their no firmware-rollback policy...."

Not Apple just IOS, MAC OS is not like that

Apple is serious with important things, not like others...don´t compare please ;)))

Regards

Community_Admin

Again, we would like to thank you all for your patience.

As communicated previously by our moderation team, we have confirmed that no changes were made to ANC as part of the latest firmware update and that no impact was detected during quality assurance testing. However, we asked a few users who reported an issue to send in their headsets so that our Software and Hardware teams could investigate.

The quantity at which we have received is not what we would have hoped for and we will be asking a few more of you to send us your headsets so we can continue testing. If you have reported an issue and would like to participate in our investigation, please let us know in this thread and we will contact you via private message. Please note that for logistical reasons, only users based in the USA can volunteer to send in their headset. We would like to thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Once again, thank you for your assistance and your patience.

Your Community Team

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Community_Admin 

I made suggestions in accordance with one of your three posts from last week: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-ii-firmware-4-5-2/m-p/224041#M4418... If you are collecting more units - that is good.  But don't discount the units you already have - you may think they are not having problems both those who sent them to you beg to differ.  I would highly recommend you consider my suggestions  made last week on page 88 of this post.  But just in case, you have trouble finding it,

here it is again:

===============================

@Community_Admin 

With all due respect, your statement today pretty much is exactly the same as the one you made here last week.  We have two groups here - your group says that everything is fine and those people here that are hearing differences.  It's like in any relationship - when there appears to be an insurmountable gap between the two groups, we try to look for a win-win/compromise.  I have made some suggestions to bridge this gap in the last week or so.  So here is what I would suggest:

1. First take a couple of units from people and check out the units - if you need to make changes, do that until you are convinced that the ANC is fine.  Send them back and get a second opinion from the customers that sent them in.  If the customers say they are still the same, then we all need to better understand the disparity between the way you judge ANC and the way the users judge them.  Perhaps you need the users to send in two pair each (you may need to temporarily supply them with a second pair that you and they both feel that works) - one that works and one that does not and then you can see if you can tell the difference.   However, if they send in a unit which they deem to be problematic and they get one back that they feel is now fine - then we/you can determine what you did in terms of testing and changing that made an impact.

2. But even better - you are probably spending a lot of money with engineering on this.  Lots of companies hire companies like for example, Plaza Research (I just picked that one because they send me lots of emails Smiley Happy ) to do marketing studies.  Why not do a marketing study with real people who are having issues.  Have them bring in their units which they believe are not working properly with ANC and do some comparisons with units you believe are functioning properly.  Or another similar approach assuming your engineering work is being done in Framingham.  Fly or otherwise collect people locally or perhaps anywhere from the NE corridor to Framingham with their units and do an in house study with the customers.

These options will help you bridge the gap with real people and not stay devisive with the Bose people saying the units are doing one thing and the customers saying perhaps the same units are doing something else.  I have to believe this approach would be a win-win for all or at least move closer in bridging the gap.

===============================

P.S. - We know and understand here that

1. Bose is aware that there is a reddit procedure that people are following here to downgrade the firmware from 4.5.2 to 3.1.8.

2. Bose is aware that there are many have posted here that doing the downgrade has solved their ANC issues/restored them/changed the ANC/or something similar.

3. Bose has the engineering ability to try the downgrade themselves on a 4.5.2 QC35ii  and analyze for themselves the differences that makes in ANC.  I highly recommend personally that if Bose has not already done so (and I suspect they already have), that you take some of the returned units and analyze the 'before' and 'after' units by doing a 3.1.8 downgrade following the process those here are doing (NOT your own process for downgrading which could yield a different result).

From my readings here in this post, as I recollect all but one poster has said that upgrade to 4.5.2 impacted the ANC and then downgrade to 3.1.8 restored it.  Whether or not you approve the process, it would behoove Bose to determine why that is the case - it could help you determine and then address the underlying 'cause'.

1tomekp
Participant
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

bose

if you do not know how to fix issue please at least provide possibility to dowgrade firmware. We know that this is possible as many users did it. 

im on old firmware i would like to upgrade but im scared to do it as my headset is out of warranty so i dont want to break it.

Young741
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyC9QStmzcA

refer to 1:52 for real life data. Which ya'll are clearly looking past. 

now that you KNOW there is an issue, please fix. Thank you.

Did the recent update from bose make noise cancelling worse? In this video I test that to find out. My social media: https://twitter.com/dms3tvhttps://Instag...