mahorstman
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 3, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

After updating my QC35II headphones to firmware 4.5.2, the Action Button, which is configured for "Noise Cancelling", does nothing nothing but beep. Prior to 4.5.2 the Action Button would cycle through noise cancellation off, low, high with each level having a distinctive beep. The Action Button now does nothing but make the "high" beep without changing the noise cancelling setting. The only way I can change the noise cancelling setting is via the Bose Connect iOS app.

I originally updated my QC35II headphones through the Bose Connect iOS app since it had automatically downloaded the update. When the update had completed and I noticed the Action Button no longer worked, I found this thread and I tried performing the update using the Bose Updater on my PC. The updater told me my firmware was up to date but that my voice prompts needed updating. I performed that update, but still the ANC button does nothing but beep.

How do I get the ANC button to work again?

Firmware Version: 4.5.2

Original Name: Bose QuietComfort 35 Series II

Date of Manufacturing: May 29, 2018

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I have read most of the 1000+ posts in this thread and you may be the first one to check in on this issue.  I have a QC35ii with 4.5.2 and my action button works perfectly fine when set to "Noise Cancelling" - all three settings work fine with voice prompts.

Since it is likely not something more 'global' to lots of similar units with 4.5.2, I would suggest the same thing as you will probably get from a Bose moderator here when they reply.  First I would start the Bose Connect app and change the Action Button to say the next one down - Google Assistant.  Makes no difference if it is installed or not on your phone.  Then hit the action button and see if it responds.  For example, when I do it, it asks me via voice to open the Google Assistant and try again (I don't have it installed).  Then reset the button to Noise Cancellation again and see if it broke the 'logjam'.  If not, you may need to un-pair the QC35ii from everything (on the other end) and then re-initialize the QC35ii with the template instruction which the moderators here paste into responses as their primary way of troubleshooting.  If it still does not help, it could be your hardware (and I know you had it working before the firmware upgrade.... shame.... 🙂 )

You now have two options:

1. Unless you get some other instructions from Bose (like perhaps uninstall Bose Connect and reinstall it - which has an outside chance of working), there really are no other troubleshooting options or fixes since Bose will not allow you to revert to your previous firmware.  They may suggest you use the web browser approach to reinstall 4.5.2 (using the BTU site) - that could work.   Otherwise, they'll ask you to send back th QC35ii and pay for an exchange.  I am not a big fan of that.

2. You can take matter into your own hands and ignore Bose's warnings here and do a downgrade back to 3.1.8.  Though keep in mind that even that may or may not solve your issue.

mahorstman
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 3, 2019

Thank you for your quick reply.

I tried your suggestion and chose one of the other mappings to the button. Actually I tried all of them, trying the button each time... no change. It didn't prompt me to install anything. It just beeped the same beep. I did unpair the headphones from everything and hold the power button to clear the list before performing the update, since it was suggested in this thread. I'll look for the re-initialize instructions.

How incredibly sub-optimal. The button not working isn't a deal breaker since I normally left it on "high" anyway. But it really rustles my jimmies that one of the features of my expensive headphones doesn't work after the update.

mahorstman
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 3, 2019

Ok, I'm really embarassed. I was pushing the volume down button, not the Action Button. The Action Button cycles through the ANC off, low, high just fine. And the ANC seems to work the same as before (i.e. I don't notice any difference in the "level" of noise getting through compared prior to 4.5.2 upgrade).

imadope

Arzo
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jun 18, 2019

Mmhmmm, sure.

Bogdanel
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 3, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Hi, the problem with the ANC is nothing compared to what the problem that my headphones has after the 4.5.2 update

My Bose QC 35 II has no problem with ANC and with my android phone (samsung galaxy J5-2016) works smoothly.

But with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5567 with windows 10 (1903)) it doesn't work anymore.

From what I've noticed, headphones only work in mono handsfree mode and do not use at all the A2DP mode.
I checked what was happening and found in the device manager that the driver for the A2DP module has no signature.
I disable enforcement driver signature from windows 10 to install the driver but i got a nice BSOD.
That's not the only problem, I can't even use the headset volume control in windows 10 and I saw that in the device manager there are 3 other unknown devices that belong to the headset (ARfcomm, AudioWear, AudioWear Voice).
I tried pairing the headphones with Windows 7 and this time I have no problems with the A2DP driver (but this is because windows 7 does not require drivers to be signed), but there are problems with volume control.

I hope these issues will be resolved as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Bogdan

Version4.5.2.pngConnected to pc.pngvolume control.pngdriver error.pnga2dperror.pngdevice manager.pngScreenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png20190803_141822.jpg

[Moderated]

madeofstaples
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

I've been on 4.5.2 for a couple of days now.

I am noticing the drop off in ANC quality others have metioned. I mainly use the headphones in a quiet, office setting. I've been testing them out to see what it's been like to block out backgroud noise. I've been finding that noises that I didn't previously notice are no clearly coming through (e.g. people eating, moving chairs, typing, rustling papers, opening up printers, shutting doors). Some noises are still dulled out (e.g. when laptop fan went into overdrive, it was not noticeable). But way more background noise is noticeable; sometimes, it even feels amplified (e.g. someone eating a crunchy apple).

I've always had noise cancelling sit to high. I tried cycling through the ANC settings but didn't notice any improvement, so have left it set to high.

JennyR89
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

The ANC quality has dropped noticabily with update 4.5.2 on my QC35 ii.

It seems the mid tones are coming through much more easier.

Please fix or give users the ability to downgrade with your support,

Jenny

JennyR89
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

Not only that, there is no difference between the low and high cancellation mode..

+ a white sissing noise sounds...

Jackoutofthebox
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

I just created a account to report. I'm too having issue with the ANC, so bad that I dont even wanna use my Headphones they've been sitting accumulating dust. It's really suspicious that they mess with the ANC for the QC35II right after the 700 came out. For what I heard the QC35II performed same or better than the 700 that's why they had to do what they did, they had to make them perform better because of the price mark up. Also so many people have done test on this proving that there's a difference between software updates on the ANC side. Youtubers, rtings did one  too it showed that there is a 4bd difference between the old firmware and the new. How can all these people have found the issue and how is the Bose keep saying they haven't found anything wrong. Maybe just they should hire all these other people that have found the issue. I dont think I will ever buy Bose again they have become the Apple of headphones.