Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Quiet Contributor

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Hello

I also applyed the firmware 4.5.2 on my QC35II. As I had the headphone on ears while it was updating - after having listened to music for about an hour - I immediately noticed white noice in background when that was finished. Firstable I have believed ANC was disabled, but no.
I have also felt the ANC was little more poor and I couldn't ear no more any difference between high and low level.

I took the plane few days after for a 10 hours travel, and I must say the headphones were however still appreciables. I could observe a real difference between high/low/off ANC. I have thought that the ANC was re-tuned especially for aircraft engine noise and low frequencies in general, and less reduction for vocals.

As I had contacted Bose technical service to expose my problem after upgrade, they had proposed me to return back my headphone for an exchange. So I accepted, because I wanted to recover my previous experience

I have received the new one with firmware 4.1.3. But this one has a white noise too, and I would say it's even more audible. From memory the ANC is not neither better nor worst.

I have found a solution to downgrade it to 3.1.8 on reddit.com and re-tested the headphone after. Still some white noise but lower, the ANC seems little better. But when listening to music I hear by moments poor audio quality with kind of saturation on basses or like if the decoding looses quality. It also was the case on my previous headphone, before the upgrade, and I don't remember having this problem again after.

So I decided to finally upgrade again to 4.5.2 (cause now, I know how to return back to previous firmware if necessary) and I must say I now don't feel any differences, but music quality seems more stable. I need to test longer to be sure of that.

For the 3.1.8 as for the 4.5.2, I have tested the ANC with the TV on (for human voices) and with an aircraft cabin noise on the hifi speakers (sorry for the neighbours).

What I can say is that the ANC performance depends a lot of the heaphone placement over the ears. In my case, the best is when it is a little in rear. That may align the ear canals with the speakers and so with the noise cancellation waves. Another important point is that the pads must entirely close the ear all around, any leak is source of external noise. The respect or not of these two points change significantly the noise reduction. I wasn't paying attention for that previously.

By reading others comments, it seems there is no solution for white noise. Even for those who returned back to their previous firmware, the noise remained. But it is inaudible when music plays.

Hope my experience can help.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

@Sylvain0001 

Wish I could say that the experience is global but it is not.  I also suspect that most of those who checked in here have the issue as logic would dictate if they upgrade and have no issues normally they would not come here.  In my case, I have been upgrading my QC35ii for each version.  When I went from 4.1.3 to 4.3.6, I did notice the white noise in a completely quiet outside environment.  But when I went from 4.3.6. to 4.5.2, the noise went away totally.  And I can distinctly hear the difference between HIGH and LOW ANC.  So I am judging I am not affected at all.

BTW - I have an AE and have always upgraded wtih the Connect app (on an iphone 7+) - never through BTU.

Go figure. Smiley Happy

Quiet Contributor

Same thing happened with me today. As soon as I finished update to firmware 4.5.2, I can clearly listen people talking near me even when ANC set to high. I can’t say ANC is broken after update but it is not working as it was before. Tried clearing pairing list also tried update again via advanced update on Mac using usb cable (A, D, V, UP, DOWN key) but same problem. Hope bose will release new firmware with fix soon.

Audible Advocate

After update, I can even hear cars driving outside.

Friendly Fanatic

despite all the warnings and with the assurance that i could send them back to amazon i've upgraded to the latest FW

was running 4.1.3 (as to be seen in bose connect app)

after upgrading i didn't notice a difference between the 2 firmwares, so ANC works in my case, a clear difference between both ANC levels

furthermore, i bought 2 of them so i could switch to see if they are different, the other was also running on FW 4.1.3

now i've compared them for 30 minutes with some decent level background music and i couldn't tell the difference between the two

so for me they both sounded the same in regards to ANC, both high and low...

i can't tell the difference between v3 though, but i can compare in a week or 2 when my collegue is back at work...

so bottomline: my upgrade works well... updated through the bose connect app / iphone 7

Friendly Fanatic

Friendly Fanatic

Don't buy them. The conclusion of this entire thread is that Bose abides by shady practices.

If you do go ahead, you have to install the Bose phone app before pairing the headphones. Once installed, enter airplane mode on the phone and then activate Bluetooth and connect the headphones. In the app you can see the version the headphones is curently running.

where can i see my version i did what you wrote but i do not know where on the app i can see my 

headphone verison ?
i only see what app versiion i have ?

i have airplane mode on 

i soon give up and never ever more buy a pair of BOSE they do not care about their customers

if they did they had fixed this for a long time ago 

Quiet Contributor

So, I have a few questions I hope someone can help me.

I purchased my first set of Bose headphones solely for the active noise canceling. I get a lot of migraine headaches triggered by noise and my neurologist suggested Bose noise canceling headphones.  I was going to connect to the app to make sure that mine are genuine Bose. I understand that this is the best way to see that they are not counterfeit.

After reading about this issue I am afraid to even open them. So, that brings me to my questions.

If I connect to the headphones with the app will I be able to tell if they are genuine Bose even if my phone is in airplane mode?

And, if my phone is in airplane mode is there anyway that it will do this dreaded update? Like is the update download when I install the app?

I'm close to just sending them back and looking at other brands. I'm thinking it may not be worth all the aggravation to deal with them especially if Bose will not help resolve these issues. Bose will loose a lot of customers if they do not address this even in the medical field.

Audible Advocate

@Brijesh Patel wrote: As soon as I finished update to firmware 4.5.2, I can clearly listen people talking near me even when ANC set to high.

I have 4.1.3 and it doesn't make conversations around me any quieter. ANC in general doesn't work well for people talking.

Friendly Fanatic

The firmware update will not happen during airplane mode and make sure WiFI is turned off. I have verified my headset that way since my headset was delivered few days back.

Friendly Fanatic

@Buffalo_Sabres wrote:
Friendly Fanatic

where can i see my version i did what you wrote but i do not know where on the app i can see my 

headphone verison ?
i only see what app versiion i have ?

i have airplane mode on 

i soon give up and never ever more buy a pair of BOSE they do not care about their customers

if they did they had fixed this for a long time ago 

Go to: 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support.html

hit “get started” and enter your headphone serial number that can be found inside and underneath  the Right ear cushion pad. No need to remove cushion pad.