Bram1984
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Si I thought it would be fun going back from 3.1.8 (I downgraded a while ago) to 4.5.2. I put some music on (Christine and the Queens - Christine) and I could very clearly hear my co-workers talking with ANC on high). Downgraded again to 3.1.8 and just had a phone call and listened to the same track again and on 3.1.8 I cannot hear my co-workers talk anymore.

HendrikV
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

It's amazing how clear and obvious the difference in ANC is..

What surprises me, is that no one at Bose has heard this?

It's awefully silent from their end...

drwhois
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

@Bram1984 wrote:

Si I thought it would be fun going back from 3.1.8 (I downgraded a while ago) to 4.5.2. I put some music on (Christine and the Queens - Christine) and I could very clearly hear my co-workers talking with ANC on high). Downgraded again to 3.1.8 and just had a phone call and listened to the same track again and on 3.1.8 I cannot hear my co-workers talk anymore.

1) it's Chris now 🙂

2) to be clear: if i put on some music on 4.5.2 i can't hear what co-workers are saying, but if i don't listen to music i do hear them but like another said, it's more like a low pass filter and i have to concentrate on what they are saying...

drwhois
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

point 3. isn't clear to me...

sc101
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 12, 2019

Same here!

Bose Customer Service is the worst. They replace your device but they never try to help with the actual problem. 

ASMR not working...ANC not working!

Buffalo_Sabres
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 27, 2019

I have bought a new par of QC35ii and i have 4.1.3, but i want to know what is the best firmware version ?

On these i cannot hear any difference of high and low ANC only with the third choice when i have them off.

And if I understand wright it is even worse on the 4.5.2 ?

If i do not want to have the app anymore how do i change the ANC if i have google assistant on the button ?

I am sad to say i love Bose QC35 but now i feel like i give this back and wait a couple of month for the Sony 

and see how they are and no more Bose for me after they shown not caring for their customers.

It has taken to much time not giving any answer at all so this was my last Bose buy it was fun when it lasted but you have burning all the bridges for me anyway

HypnoHeadhacker
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 12, 2019

I had this response from Bose Support today:

"

Bose: We heard your concerns and went back to reexamine everything to ensure that the Acoustic Noise Cancellation technology on our QC35 II headsets is working the way it should. We confirmed that no changes to the software for Active Noise Cancelling or ANC modes were made as part of this firmware update and no impact to ANC was detected during our validation testing. Our validation testing is a comprehensive process which is part of all firmware releases. We have revisited our test records and confirmed there are no changes to ANC. Our testing methodology includes multiple headsets across multiple firmware builds in controlled conditions to ensure consistent and reproducible results. Based on this rigorous testing, we are confident that the noise cancellation in the QC35 II headsets is performing as well as it has been since their initial production.

In addition, through our sampling program, we have received some units from our customers. We have repeated our controlled test process on these units and have confirmed that each continue to meet our production standards and ANC performance has not changed between firmware builds.

I have here some steps that might help us to rectify the issue of your product. If some of the steps were already performed, you may skip it then proceed to the next step.
•Move away from any hard surfaces.
-Reflected sound (caused by using the headset close to a hard surface – like a wall) will negatively affect noise cancellation.

•Check for and install any available product updates.
-Visit btu.bose.com and follow the instructions to ensure your product has the latest features and enhancements.

•Be sure the earcups are tightly seated against the head.
-Glasses, earrings and hats may prevent the headphone cushions from forming a tight seal around the ear. Remove any of these items and retest the noise cancelling feature.

•Be sure the cushions are securely attached to the earcup.
-If the ear cushion is not affixed to the ear cup properly, the noise reduction or sound quality may be affected.

•Reset your product.
-Power off your product, then wait 30 seconds
-Connect your product to a wall outlet using a USB charger, then wait five seconds
-Disconnect the USB cable from the headset, then wait one minute
-Power on your product.

None of the fixes worked for me so Amazon have offered a full refund.

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Buffalo_Sabres 

> I have bought a new par of QC35ii and i have 4.1.3, but i want to know what is the best firmware version ?

No such thing as best especially since Bose does not document exactly what the changes/differences are.  There are two types of approaches: (1) you can update to the most recent version after every release and get whatever new features and 'fixes' were made (though again, we are doing it blind since we don't know what they are) or (2) you can stick with the version you have and never upgrade at all.

> On these i cannot hear any difference of high and low ANC only with the third choice when i have them off.

>And if I understand wright it is even worse on the 4.5.2 ?

That is what most of the people here with 'issues' are saying.  Some people can not hear the difference between low and high and others can.  No one yet can explain why some have the 'issue' while others do not.  Knowing that will probably come with the eventual explanation of the cause(s).

> If i do not want to have the app anymore how do i change the ANC if i have google assistant on the button ?

You can't - you have to decide between Google Assistant and Noise Cancellation assigned to the button.  If you want to move between low, high, and off without the app, you will have to assign noise cancellation to the button.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@HypnoHeadhacker 

Bose definately has it's work cut out for them.  Not only can't they replicate the problem, but they say in your provided response that EVERY unit turned back to them is operating normally.  Again - we are providing them units where we have said they we can hear definate differences before and after the upgrade AND we can't hear the difference between LOW and HIGH.   Then Bose says - ANC was not impacted by the upgrade and that the ANC sounds the same before and after AND there are differences between LOW and HIGH.

I don't understand how this can be possible technically.  They are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.   With all the 'evidence' and similar experiences we have all provided to Bose, how can their REALITY be so different from our REALITY?  We not talking about a single person or single unit - everything turned in came from people with the SAME experiences.

Bose needs to remember that in other 'walks' of life (like politics, for example), the old saying is applicable here - 'perception' is 'reality'.  So instead of coming from the orientation that everything is OK and there is nothing to fix, they should do I would recommend and convene groups of customers to give them honest feedback on these and other units before and after the upgrade.

Here is an example of a business here in Houston that caters to doing an independent analysis/feedback session with customers - other cities have similar companies.  I have suggested here multiple times that Bose needs to get on top of this by working directly with customer groups and not just their own in-house engineering analysis.

https://www.opinions-unlimited.com/

Bram1984
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

@Buffalo_Sabres wrote:

I have bought a new par of QC35ii and i have 4.1.3, but i want to know what is the best firmware version ?

On these i cannot hear any difference of high and low ANC only with the third choice when i have them off.

And if I understand wright it is even worse on the 4.5.2 ?

If i do not want to have the app anymore how do i change the ANC if i have google assistant on the button ?

I am sad to say i love Bose QC35 but now i feel like i give this back and wait a couple of month for the Sony 

and see how they are and no more Bose for me after they shown not caring for their customers.

It has taken to much time not giving any answer at all so this was my last Bose buy it was fun when it lasted but you have burning all the bridges for me anyway

Why wouldn't you want the app anymore? The app is fine and is used to connect to your devices. The update is not forced, you have to manually approve it.