Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I’ve returned mine. You have at least a 1 year warranty. The headphones are faulty. When I returned mine I was planning on getting another and not upgrading the firmware. But the shop held on to it for about 20 days apparently waiting for bose. And now they finally gave up and offered me a full refund. I’m waiting for that and then will decide to wait for the latest sony probably this month sometime. First and last bose. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@TimC.Been off the radar here for almost two weeks (I actually was working at my profession! 🙂 ).  I completely agree with our assements about customer service.   But I still stick my personal 'take' which is that Bose did not say there is nothing wrong or that nothing is broken.  What they said is that they did not make any changes to the firmware impacting ANC.  We know they are addressing it and I have heard the same from Bose employess outside of this forum.  They have asked for test units from us.  What I (and we) don't like is constant and ongoing communication on status.  The fact that we have not heard anything lately only means they have nothing new to say.  We can not deduce that they have not discovered anything or that they have stopped looking since we know Bose will not share anything about the causes or the fixes until they update software or firmware.  What is sad (to me at least) is that they updated Bose Connect, made some changes to the 'update' process and we have no idea whether those changes were designed to  address any of the issues here.

I don't like their communication methods myself.  I would like them to keep us in the loop with updates weekly or bi-weekly, for example, but it does not seem to be what they are planning to do.  So unless they say they have stopped working the issue, we have to give them (imho) the benefit of the doubt that they are still working it.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 16, 2019

@joelirwin LOL. I've been working too but my profession requires travelling internationally every two months so I'm constantly on the road. I need my ANC since I travel in coach. My boss (me) refuses to pay for business class! What a cheap %$#@!

The lack of communication is indeed a major problem. There is a crisis and that has been established by 1) some media articles, 2) a very long discussion thread on their support page and 3) social media comments on Youtube, Twitter, FB, etc. While probably not as serious as it seems from their angle, a problem exists and they are failing in resolving it and are showing their weak crisis management abilities.

I also find it curious that Bose is unable to replicate the issue. I don't buy that.

I have no choice but to wait but my trust in the Bose brand is simply gone.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@TimC.I use Bose equipment for my business - both wedding videographer and film scoring.  Good news (from my vantage point as least) is that I scored two films for the Christian-themed 168 film festival last weekend in Burbank, CA and I didn't win but the two films won - best Documentary for one and best Comedy for the other.   So at least I am excited about something (and the music sounds great in all my Bose BT devices) 🙂

My point here is not to 'excuse' Bose's actions - merely to state that they are trying to create a 'balance' between their old methodology of leaving us in the dark and being totally transparent which imho 'disagree's with their current 'culture'.  They know a problem exists - we have seen that in their communication.  They are just very careful on the words they use for various technical and legal reasons.  We know they are looking at the issue.  We really in all honesty don't know what they are doing, what they have found, and where they are in terms of addressing it since we are left in the dark.  The fact that they have not said they have replicated the issue does not mean they have not replicated the issue.  It merely shows they are not going to involve us in the process and are limiting the communication on the topic.  We want things to move quicker but we are not in control and as customers that frustrates us (and angers some).

Let's look at the other situation for a possible explanation of what may happen next.  As you know, back around the beginning of 2018, customers started complaining about the QC35i turning themselves on when switched off.  The 'complaints' and discussion on that issue was no less than the ANC issue here and after about 8 to 10 months, customers doing their own testing found what they assummed was the cause - a hardware issue caused by the slipage of the contacts in the on/off switch.  Now that is a hardware issue while the one here is likely not.  But Bose kept sharing they were looking at the problem and as recently as early summer were still suggesting it could be a firmware issue that could be fixed.  We had no idea from the beginning of 2018 until mid this summer what Bose was doing.  Then a month or so ago, in a small post in this forum, admitted to the fact that they determined it was a hardware issue.  That's it - nothing more.  No suggestion of what to do about or what Bose will do about it.  In fact, I have heard from talking to Bose phone supervisors is that actions are taken on an individual basis based on the caller.  In other words, Bose will not have a global consistent solution to this issue.

Now the QC35i on/off contacts issue is 'different' but does give us a glimpse of Bose actions.  I do not work for Bose nor am I really good at prognasticating 🙂  but this is what I suggest we consider for the ANC situation:
1. Bose will not keep us in the loop and will sporadically check into this thread or forum with status though they will be very careful about what they say and the words that are used

2. We will not know what they are doing until they are pretty much done one way or the other

3. We will not get any idea about timelines and how long it will take for completion

4. Should Bose have a solution that does not involve firmware, for example an exchange program, they will likely not publicize it and will offer it for incoming callers only in certain situation (that is my guess, of course).

5. If they deliver a firmware solution, the upgrade notes may or may not describe a fix that impacts ANC.  And even if they say ANC was impacted by the firmware upgrade, we may through our testing continue to be unhappy with the solution

6. Bose will continue to offer only firmware upgrades forward.  It is highly unlikely they will change their policy on downgrades.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

Hello,
I just bought Bose QC35 II (won over Sony's because of supposedly better microphone for calls). I got them in the store, went outside to the parking lot and inside my car. I tested them there. It was glorious. I couldn't hear any cars or shopping carts. Nothing. I was amazed (my first ANC headphones). So, happy, I drove home. Here I have connected them to my Macbook (so two devices Macbook Pro 2018 and iPhone X). Aaand... problems started. First I couldn't get the iPhone to produce any good quality music. It was just **bleep** (even though it worked in my car earlier). So I have updated to the newest software are restarted my phone. Now sound quality worked fine.

But I noticed the ANC got worse. Much worse. Now (both on Low and High, they are the same) I can hear my Macbook Pro 2018 keyboard. And it's pretty **bleep** quiet. Not to mention I can hear my mouse moving on the surface of the mousepad. Which makes my QC35s useless as they were bought for working in the office. Just imagine. They were able to substantially block out a parking lot in front of a shopping mall. Now they struggle with my quiet apartment where I live alone. 😕

I cannot return them easily because:
1. I bought them as a freelance one-person company. So EU laws for easy consumer product returns do not apply to me.
2. They are technically "OK". I'm not sure the store I bought them at will accept it as a flaw, as from their perspective they are working "as intended" (I have not contacted with them yet).
3. I cannot use the 30-day return from Bose since I haven't bought those in Bose store (but in other electronic shops).

So... hello, guys. Another one waiting for some information. 😞
One thing for certain, my first and last Bose product.

Information:
- Updated today using 9.0.1 app.
- Europe, Poland.
- Production date 13th April 2019, so pretty new headphones if you ask me.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

Ouch that sux 😞

can you check if you don’t have the mic input of your MacBook connected to your headphones?

Also check if your voice control/dictation mode is disabled on the Mac to make sure you don’t have your mic open. 

Last, try to connect to your Mac and use the web updater to see if you can re-update the firmware using the webupdater. Then connect the Bose to a mains power adapter charger with the usb cable. Sometimes the app doesn’t update correctly. 

Tnx!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 2, 2019

Hm. The mike settings maybe helped a bit. It was set to Bose but it wasn't "using" it. So I set it to something else and back to Bose, now I could clearly hear the microphones sending audio back to my headphones. So I switched to something else again - and it does sound better. Still not perfect but I'd say better. Thanks, actually.

I will try the web updater, I might swear I saw something about update issue during the update but it just showed for a second and I couldn't read it, it was replaced with a success message.

Highlighted

We’re back with an update.

First, thank you for being here. We’ve read every post, and will continue to.

We’ve also continued to exhaustively test QC35IIs to find the problem you’re having with the latest firmware update, including the handful of units you’ve sent us – which we’ve replaced with a new pair. We have a dedicated team working on your complaints every day, all day. Despite that, we haven’t been able to duplicate what you’ve described. We’re sorry. But we’re not giving up.

We’ve asked Bose employees to let us know if the firmware update impacted their headphones, because there are thousands of us who own them just like you do. We haven’t received any reports back from inside Bose, but hope we do. It will help us get to the bottom of it.

We’ve also contacted some of you to ask if we could come to your home, and test your QC35 II, with your phone, in your surroundings. We’ve started making arrangements and are clearing our schedule to accommodate theirs.

There are a few things you can expect next. First, we won’t identify who they are, because that’s not up to us. It’s up to them. But we will communicate what we learn. All of it.

Until then, our research continues. And our commitment to you does, too.

Your Community team on behalf of the Bose QC35 II Engineering Team

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 29, 2019

@Community_Admin wrote:

We’re back with an update.

First, thank you for being here. We’ve read every post, and will continue to.

We’ve also continued to exhaustively test QC35IIs to find the problem you’re having with the latest firmware update, including the handful of units you’ve sent us – which we’ve replaced with a new pair. We have a dedicated team working on your complaints every day, all day. Despite that, we haven’t been able to duplicate what you’ve described. We’re sorry. But we’re not giving up.

We’ve asked Bose employees to let us know if the firmware update impacted their headphones, because there are thousands of us who own them just like you do. We haven’t received any reports back from inside Bose, but hope we do. It will help us get to the bottom of it.

We’ve also contacted some of you to ask if we could come to your home, and test your QC35 II, with your phone, in your surroundings. We’ve started making arrangements and are clearing our schedule to accommodate theirs.

There are a few things you can expect next. First, we won’t identify who they are, because that’s not up to us. It’s up to them. But we will communicate what we learn. All of it.

Until then, our research continues. And our commitment to you does, too.

Your Community team on behalf of the Bose QC35 II Engineering Team

Thanks for the update. The issue is also on QC35i (first generation). Not sure why you're checking the issue only in QC35ii.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 3, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

There is definitely some change to ANC after 4.5.2:

-"High". Not sure if it was like this previously but there is a noticeable sound bleed on "High" when sound is different frequency from backgroun noice. E.g. I can hear people speaking, I can hear keyboard tapping, I can hear doors squicking and there is always ANC "static" noice.

-"Low". I mostly used low setting previously - it was more generous to my ears and brain :). Now it feels way more aggressive. I can also hear ANC mid frequency "static" noice.