Vinnie205
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I wonder if it's due to AE and AR models being different hardware features and reacting different to the same firmware for both?

What's wrong with letting people downgrade the firmware? This is what frustrates the customers more.

wdicc
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

@Vinnie205 A bunch of people had proved that It's useless to downgrade the firmware, the ANC is still weak after downgrade. You can search it from reddit.

HendrikV
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

Hi All,

Small update from my end.

I have received yet another pair from Bose.

This time, I unwrapped it and start using it right away.

No app, no firmware, etc.

After a week listening I can say the ANC is close to what is was.

Not even sure what firware I have as i didnt even install the app.

I just will leave it as it is...

Holmen
Participant
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

How did you get them to give you a new pair of headphones?

HendrikV
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

Called them.. 

They were really nice.

Here, in the Netherlands you have 2 years of return warrenty.

I rececived a mail from the technical service who really didnt seem to know what the problem could be.

I'm not touching anything anymore...

D

hownowbrowncow
Participant
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

I don't know if posting a reply when not having issues is constructive, but I just updated to 4.5.2 via the Bose connect app and did not notice any substantial negative changes in terms of ANC (Only tested against my loud exchaust hood). Some details:

VersionComment
Headphones (Before update)3.x.xDon't remember last two digits
Headphones (After update)4.5.2As shown in app
Bose connect app9.0.1 
OSAndroid 8.0.0Running on Samsung Galaxy S7

PS: When updating the headphones the following message was shown. Afterwards, I turned them back on, reconnected them to the app and it showed that the new version was 4.5.2.

70105105_2364659827107583_2297994751049203712_n.jpg

Bata13
Participant
Registered since

Sep 10, 2019

I updated an hour ago, experiencing the same ANC symptoms. Which brought me here. The direct before and after comparison while on a train made me google for problems with the new firmware. The difference is more than extremely obvious. There's almost no ANC functionality anymore. 

The worst thing that makes me worry is...first reports of this are from 3 month ago and the firmware is still active and gets advertised. Though it obviously damages your product. 

Hope there will be a fix for this soon or at least  at all otherwise it will be Sennheiser then.

iterryaki
Participant
Registered since

Sep 9, 2019

To the Bose engineers

I am providing additional observations and directions for you to investigate.

My test unit:

F/W version: 4.5.2

Manufacture Date: Feb 23, 2019

Serial: 077062...095AZ

ANC Setting: High

The problem is really simple to observe, I cannot imagine why your engineer cannot reproduce this issue on all of your units?

My observations are:

Test Environment:

1. Bose QC35II Test Unit as above

2. Windows 10 PC (Lenovo T470) Build 1903 (18362.356) 64bit

3. Firefox browser v69.0 64bit

4. Quite office environment (No one was talking)

5. Logitech MX Anywhere 2S Mouse

6. Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint

What i did to test:

1. Use the test unit to listen to apple music or watch youtube video

2. Play the music or youtube video, while repeatedly click the mouse left and right buttons (I am using Logitech MX Anywhere 2S), none stop clicking

3. You can hear the music, the mouse click sound is quite profound, there is also a hissing sound. (This is the issue I have that makes me think the ANC is defective).

4. Stop the music or the youtube video by clicking on the STOP button in the browser, while keep clicking the same mouse buttons

5. As soon as the music or video sound is stopped, the hissing sound in Step#3 is gone, and the mouse clicking sound clearly becomes very muted (Similar to ANC High Setting).

6. Play the music or video again, while keep clicking the mouse buttons will give same observation as Step#3

7. Power off the QC35II completely, while keep clicking on the mouse buttons

8. As soon as QC35II is completely powered off, there is no "hissing sound" heard from Step#3, but the environmental humming is now very profound indicating that the ANC is completely off, BUT INTERESTINGLY, the mouse clicking sound is not as profound as Step#3.

The mouse clicking sound (ambient sound) profoundness in the above testing, I can rate the profoudedness from MOST CLEAR to MOST MUTED in this order:

Step#3 > Step #8 > Step#5

Note:

Step3 = QC35II Powered On + ANC Setting HIGH + Music/Video is Playing + Mouse Clicking  (Ambient sound most profound)

Step8 = QC35II Powered OFF + Mouse Clicking

Step5 = QC35II Powered On + ANC Setting HIGH + Music/Video is OFF + Mouse Clicking (Ambient sound least profound)

Observation notes:

1. When there is music or video playing, the ambient sound (mouse clicking) seems to be amplified and feed back into the music so that it makes the ANC appears to be ineffective because you can hear the ambient sound (mouse clicking) more profoundedly, as well as a hissing sound.

2. As soon as music or video stops playing, the hissing sound stops and the ambient sound becomes very muted. This makes the impression that ANC appears to be effective again.

3. I did the same test with KEYBOARD typing, and PLASTIC bag rubbing, and finger nail tapping on the office desk, ALL scenarios gave the same Step3>Step8>Step5 results.

I suggest your engineer to look at the problem from this angle, and try taking a look at potential bugs in your firmware software code that may lead to the observations provided above. I cannot imagine that in all these months your engineer cannot reproduce the issue or find potential causes in your source code, even though this thread has been exploding.

Please at least gives us the tools to easily downgrade the firmware back to the working one. Either we can do this by ourselves, or go back to the dealership to have them help downgrading the firmware for us.

Thanks Bose. I still strongly believed that your engineering teams are much more capable than this.

Terry

Serj
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

@iterryaki wrote:

To the Bose engineers

I am providing additional observations and directions for you to investigate.

My test unit:

F/W version: 4.5.2

Manufacture Date: Feb 23, 2019

Serial: 077062...095AZ

ANC Setting: High

The problem is really simple to observe, I cannot imagine why your engineer cannot reproduce this issue on all of your units?

My observations are:

Test Environment:

1. Bose QC35II Test Unit as above

2. Windows 10 PC (Lenovo T470) Build 1903 (18362.356) 64bit

3. Firefox browser v69.0 64bit

4. Quite office environment (No one was talking)

What i did to test:

1. Use the test unit to listen to apple music or watch youtube video

2. Play the music or youtube video, while repeatedly click the mouse left and right buttons (I am using Logitech MX Anywhere 2), none stop clicking

3. You can hear the music, the mouse click sound is quite profound, there is also a hissing sound. (This is the issue I have that makes me think the ANC is defective).

4. Stop the music or the youtube video by clicking on the STOP button in the browser, while keep clicking the same mouse buttons

5. As soon as the music or video sound is stopped, the hissing sound in Step#3 is gone, and the mouse clicking sound clearly becomes very muted (Similar to ANC High Setting).

6. Play the music or video again, while keep clicking the mouse buttons will give same observation as Step#3

7. Power off the QC35II completely, while keep clicking on the mouse buttons

8. As soon as QC35II is completely powered off, there is no "hissing sound" heard from Step#3, but the environmental humming is now very profound indicating that the ANC is completely off, BUT INTERESTINGLY, the mouse clicking sound is not as profound as Step#3.

The mouse clicking sound profoundness in the above testing, I can rate the profoudedness from MOST CLEAR to MOST MUTED in this order:

Step#3 > Step #8 > Step#5

Note:

Step3 = QC35II Powered On + ANC Setting HIGH + Music/Video is Playing + Mouse Clicking

Step8 = QC35II Powered OFF + Mouse Clicking

Step5 = QC35II Powered On + ANC Setting HIGH + Music/Video is OFF + Mouse Clicking

Observation notes:

1. When there is music or video playing, the ambient sound (mouse clicking) seems to be amplified and feed back into the music so that it makes the ANC appears to be ineffective because you can hear the ambient sound (mouse clicking) more profoundedly, as well as a hissing sound.

2. As soon as music or video stops playing, the hissing sound stops and the ambient sound becomes very muted. This makes the impression that ANC appears to be effective again.

3. I did the same test with KEYBOARD typing, and PLASTIC bag rubbing, and finger nail tapping on the office desk, ALL scenarios gave the same Step3>Step8>Step5 results.

I suggest your engineer to look at the problem from this angle, and try taking a look at potential bugs in your firmware software code that may lead to the observations provided above. I cannot imagine that in all these months your engineer cannot reproduce the issue or find potential causes in your source code, even though this thread has been exploding.

Please at least gives us the tools to easily downgrade the firmware back to the working one. Either we can do this by ourselves, or go back to the dealership to have them help downgrading the firmware for us.

Thank Bose. I still strongly believed that your engineering teams are much more capable than this.

Terry

I can confirm all the above on the QC 35 1st gen too, except on the 1st gen there's no such thing as "ambient sound becomes very muted".

Very good bug reporting for the Bose Engineers - maybe they should replace their human testers, although I suspect there aren't any.

rockran
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Guys do you seriously think Bose hasn't replicated this issue? I sent my headphones back to the retailer I bought it from. They sent it directly to a repair shop which declared it faulty within a minute of testing it. All they had to do was check it against one they had that was out of the box. The difference was clear.

It seems how badly the ANC is destroyed is different for everyone, making a generic solution very difficult unless it's the same underlying issue. If however the firmware has destoryed the setting differently for everyone then admitting there is a problem will put them in deep doo doo

In which case they will play this I can't replicate the problem card till all the remaining manufactured qc 35s ii are sold and the 700 is the only thing on the market.

In hindsight why the heck did we upgrade the firmware.. with most devices you think of bugs and security holes.. but for a pair of headphones ..