Highlighted
vikasmehta27
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I submitted my headphones to Bose service centre today after a lot of heated discussions. They have finally accepted to downgrade to 3.1.8. I just got a call that they are working fine after downgrade. I am yet to pick them up and trying. Have deleted the bose connect app for accidental updates in future. They are still not accepting a replacement in India. I will update once i get to pick them up and try them in my near future air travel.

Highlighted
Jesper
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

Same here (Danish support) - However I did wait an hour on the phone until someone was on the line.

Received a new pair og QC35 II today. They seen to be working as my old ones did before the upgrade.

I have two pairs (one pair at home, and one pair at work). Both are exchanged - got an e-mail that the other pair is on its way somewhere in Germany.

Highlighted
Heijmenberg
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

I tried again this time with a stop-watch. There is little improvement now. I can hear a very little difference between low an high setting.

I reset it 5 times but it did not help..

Bose is replacing the headphones.

Highlighted
SomeoneWithACoffeeInHand
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

I see... In your case, it is really better that you are going to get a new pair.

The only thing, check all your devices for the app and delete it. Be absolutely sure that you have checked all your phones, laptops, iMac,tablets, and so on. If someone has used them, check his/her device as well.

What to say... At least the company is taking its responsibility and keeps the customer care at a good level in Denmark.

solis.invicti
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Greetings from China too.

I bought two Bose QC35 II headsets, one for my dad and the other for myself. By comparing my father's and mine, I can confirm that the latest firmware 4.5.2 upgrade destroyed ANC. He has never upgraded firmware since the purchase (What a wise choice!) and the difference is clear and evident. 

So I have been watching this discussion since early July 2019 and read every comment to look for a fix. Now I'm very disappointed to see:

a) even after three months (1/4 of the warranted lifecycle), nothing useful has been done to repair this issue, not even a knowledge base article or known issues notification; 

b) even with hundreds of customer complaints, the buggy firmware upgrade is still being pushed to common users, which is causing more problems;

c) even Bose retailers and repairers can notice the malfunctioning (according to other replies), Bose engineers themselves did not detect or reconstruct the issue, needless to say, any meaningful progress or roadmap to a fix.

This faulty firmware significantly undermined my trust to Bose, both the brand and technology. I don't know if they don't want to fix it or cannot fix it. But I know my money is wasted and my next purchase will not be Bose. 

Highlighted
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@solis.invicti 

You may not have read or followed all the pages in this post (and I don't work for Bose), so let me suggest that:

1. Bose does not update firmware for every problem we report

2. Bose firmware lately has updated in the 3 to 6 month cycle and so if that continues we will likely see a firmware update between now and the end of the year though it may or may not have code changes for ANC

3. Bose continues to suggest that the firmware changes (at least the last 3) did not make any modifications to ANC.  We HAVE heard differences in ANC between these versions however, we CAN NOT say what caused the differences.  Maybe it was the firmware change or perhaps the change PROCESS.  Quite frankly, we can not say for sure exactly what is causing us to hear something different.  Bose may know, but even if they did, we will not be told by them what they know - they don't communicate that way (so far).  So if they figure out the issue, we won't know until they post a solution.

4. Not every customer who upgrades has the issue.  For example, I have a QC35ii where I can clearly hear the difference between low and high.  I have upgraded through three versions of the firmware using Bose Connect and recently I even re-upgraded to 4.5.2 using the Bose BTU web site upgrader.  I do not believe I currently have a problem.  I did once very briefly notice I had an issue when I upgraded Bose Connect to the recent version, but a reset of everything restored everything to normal.  So it is NOT IMHO a global issue - and I don't think we have a handle on what each group (one that have the problem and ones that don't) have in common.

5.  Bose has been posting in this thread and in the forum some status's every couple of weeks lately.  The status's are interesting to read but I don't think there is anything yet to suggest that they are making progress (or if they have, they are not ready to share it with us).

Highlighted
solis.invicti
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

@joelirwin 

I have been using Bose products for less than 18 months and the knowledge you shared has shown that you have far more experiences with the products than me. Thanks for your reply and sorry for my excitement in the last comment. I did notice that Bose posted updates to the issue and a few users reported the ANC was working fine with firmware 4.5.2. Thanks for the reminder. 

So I'll follow your suggestion to wait for another 3 months for the next firmware update. However, as you told me "Bose does not update firmware for every problem we report" and they didn't say publicly what the reason of the ANC malfunctioning was (maybe they know maybe not), now I'm feeling even more worried. 

Highlighted
vikasmehta27
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 26, 2017

Downgrade to 3.1.8 didnt work as it should. Got the replacement after a lot of convincing that there is still a problem. 

Dont know what version is there in the new one but they are an April 2019 manufactured. Dont want to download the bose app and check the version. Will play safe now and wont upgrade. Happy for now. The new ones were set up using the app at the bose service centre only and work like a charm.

Highlighted
Pepto_Abysmal
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Sep 11, 2019

I got my QC35II as a birthday present back in April. Everything was going fine with them until I updated to this version. I don’t really noticed how bad the ANC got when I’m home (my home is very quiet), until I went outside and was shocked at how much I could hear what’s going around me. 

I can literally hear people talking, typing, and just overall hearing everything around me. There’s NO difference between high or low and I have to turn my music well above the halfway volume mark on my iPhone (which listening to that high of a volume hurts my ears) just to block out some of it. Before I could listen to music below the halfway mark and not hear the outside world. 

Along that I’ve been getting some random loud, high pitch, shrill, pitch noise (that last for a very short time less than a second) in my right headphone.

The sound quality is not as full anymore when I first got them either.....even my brother, who tried my headphones when I got them the first time, and was impressed with them then, has now tried them a few days ago and asked what happened to them. He even said the ANC is very poor and the sound quality is not as good as it once was. We both agreed that before this update, it doesn’t feel like the headphones,”suck you in” anymore. That feeling isn’t there anymore. 

Im very upset with how my headphones are ruined. My parents and brother pitched in to get these headphones for my b-day and now I have to explain to my parents how an update ruined them. And now I don’t even know if I contact Bose support if they’ll even send me a new pair (they’re still under warranty and I my parents bought them at Best Buy). 

What I want to know is why is this update still here?! I wish I saw this thread before I updated 😞 

The fact this has been going on awhile and this update is still available to download is behind me! 

(This is my very first time posting so I hope everything in my post turned out right) 

Highlighted
skrew
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 14, 2019

Hey all,

First, i don't have this problem, as i NEVER update firmware from Bose... 🙂

But, reading some reactions, I ask myself a question...

Sometimes, when I connect the headset to my Mac, the headset goes into a kind of "microphone" mode (for no apparent reason), the sound gets bad and some external sounds are even amplified.
This never happens with my iPhone.

I wonder if that's not what's happening to you?