ikozz
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Yesterday I received from Bose Russia a new pair of QC 35 II after my first pair bricked during update (disconnect when update).

New pair build at Jan 2019 with 4.1.3 firmware on board. AZ series.

ANC work pretty awesome as well. It's a DIFFERENTLY MORE better than on downgraded firmwares 2.1.5, 3.1.8 etc.

And some interesting detail: 

I've visit one shop to test a ANC on QC 35 II. Pair has a 4.5.2 on board. And it's work amazing, AZ series too. Big difference between LOW and HIGH modes. So, assistant in Bose Russia said, that main problem with upgrade to 4.5.2 its....a upgrade itself via Bluetooth. They don't have any problems when they updated via cord, ANC work as well

Semicoln
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

You crazy Russians. Love you guys. 

I always suspected it was something with that junk app. I wonder if the number of new cases has decreased since the app was updated. If I upgrade, I’ll use the wire for sure! Thanks for this report. 

solis.invicti
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Love you smart Russian guys too! This hypothesis is indeed worthy of reviewing. 

@ikozz wrote:

I've visit one shop to test a ANC on QC 35 II. Pair has a 4.5.2 on board. And it's work amazing, AZ series too. Big difference between LOW and HIGH modes. So, assistant in Bose Russia said, that main problem with upgrade to 4.5.2 its....a upgrade itself via Bluetooth. They don't have any problems when they updated via cord, ANC work as well

Rouvster
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

For those who downgraded, on which version did you get that cabin pressure back ?

I've bougth a new pair, on 4.1.3, tried 3.1.8, 3.1.7 and 2.5.1, no significant improvement in ANC functionnigng (no reset or mic calibration).
Gonna try 4.5.2 tomorrow (via wire update) and if anything happens I'm gonna give 2.0.1 a try (with risk of bricking it, but at this point it's just useless...)

Anyways, if it's not promising they're going back to the store and then goodbye Bose...

Drew2015
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

Did you wire update your Bose QC 35ii? If so, did it work? I had to exchange mine recently. I want to get the full use of these headphones. I'm afraid to install the app on my phone. I'm not sure if it'll update my firmware automatically and corrupt my ANC. Can you tell me step by step how to wire update my headphones if you did yours. Please get back to me asap.  You can email me if you need to 2015gonzales@gmail.com

Jesper
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 12, 2019

You your information I have one QC35 II for home usage, and one QC35 for work usage. The QC 35 II was upgraded using the iPhone Bose Connect App. The other one using USB cable - Windows PC. Both had the issue afterwards. I have now exchanged both products to new ones through the Danish Bose support. So issue exists for both QC35 II and QC 35 regardless of the way they are updated. So it must be the firmware itself and not the applications used to do the update.

Highlighted
Rouvster
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

Hey @Drew2015,

You can install the Bose App on your phone (I have it to configure the ANC effectiveness)
But you might go into the app center and bloc the access to Internet for Bose Connect App.

Or simply go into airplane mode, configure as you want and delete the app afterwards.

vishalkwd
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 3, 2019

Hi,

I'm also facing the same issue. After firmware update ANC is gone. I tried resetting my headphones multiple times and tried updating it through computer as well but nothing seems to be working. I tried contacting customer support and got same answer to reset it. Will there be any new update to resolve this issue?

Thanks

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@vishalkwd 

Doubtful you have read all the posts/responses in this very long thread.   Bose last shared with us status at the beginning of Sept. and as of then, they were still trying to get units to test with.  We never know for sure where exactly they are in this process so we don't know, for example if they have come up with a 'cause' or explanation for the change in ANC behavior.  Many assume it must be in the firmware because the much older versions that came out during the initial release of the QC35ii seem to work fine.  Perhaps - and it may be the most likely explanation but we can't say 100% yet that the firmware is the definitive cause.  It could be the upgrading process itself or even something that differs in the hardware/chipset between groups of units or manufacturing dates.  Someone even suggested this week it was a difference between USB and Bluetooth updating.  Nothing as of yet can explain why some people upgrade and have an issue and others (such as myself) upgrade and don't have an issue (i.e., clear difference between off, low and high).

So the investigation goes on.  But let's say for arguments sake that it is definitely a firmware issue and it works in version say 2.1.3 but not 4.5.2.   So think of Bose's situation - there have been 6 firmware upgrades from 2.1.3 to 4.5.2 with many changes that have nothing to do with ANC (such as the added functionality of AR for the AZ models).  So Bose first has to figure out the difference in ANC between 2.1.3 and 4.5.2.  Make a change to 4.5.2 to 'fix' the problem using the code in 2.1.3.  Then they have to make sure that 4.5.2+ works with the ANC change.  Then they have to implement the other changes one at a time that were made in those 6 upgrades and insure each change works and that ANC continues to work and wasn't impacted by that change.  They have to do that for every change one at a time.  And finally they need to implement the additional changes they planned to implement since 4.5.2 came out in June.

This is no easy and a very time consuming task - and they can't start that until they have determine and verified a cause and found code that works/fixes it.  And since we are not yet sure they have found the issue we don't know when the next firmware with fixes including ANC will come out.

Your guess is as good as anyone elses.  I would like to think it would be this year but without Bose telling us they have found the cause (which they may not say even if they have found it), it could be 2020 before we see anything.

And that all assumes that the problem is in the firmware......

rockran
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

If you had a new model out, had a lot of older model stock available. Had a few hunderd customers complaining about the issue vs a few million that have bought it. What would you do as a company.

I got my money back btw.