Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the continued posts on this thread. Some points have come up that I want to address.

Marked as solved

I appreciate the feedback on this and thanks to everyone who commented. My intent was to make the survey more visible and only that, but after reading the comments and listening to your feedback, I have removed the survey post from being the solution. I have added the survey post to the sticky thread 'QC 35 II Firmware 4.5.2' in hopes that more people will see it.

I apologize for any confusion that resulted from this and want to clarify it is possible for a solution to be updated.

What did we learn from our visits?

The biggest item we were able to take away from the home visits so far were new test cases for our engineering team to take a look at, particularly around the way that users update firmware. As a result, we modified our procedures to accommodate these new findings and conducted extensive testing. Even though testing completed without issues, we’re encouraged by this finding and excited to visit more users so that we can uncover more possibilities.

Coordinating these visits is no small task, as the process between initial contact and the first visit can be extensive. We are still trying to coordinate more visits and have been responding to survey participants, usually within 24 hours of completion. Thank you to everyone who has filled out the survey and I encourage anyone who is still having an issue with the ANR performance of their QC35 product after a recent firmware update and is willing to talk to us to please fill out this survey! 

At this point, it is still too early in the process for me to go over more details of the visits. Once we have done a few more and have concrete information to share, we will.   

Bose updater (btu.bose.com)

As some of you noted, with this recent update to the BTU site, we have made a number of enhancements to the security of the updater and how it functions. These changes are being made to address identified security concerns as part of our commitment to delivering secure products and services.

Next steps

We are continuing to schedule home visits as quickly as we can. Our internal testing is also continuing. Additionally, we are looking into implementing other changes, such as ways to give you additional control to better manage your product so that it works the way you want. It is still too early for me to discuss these here, but we hope to update you again soon. I know many of you have been waiting a long time, so I want to assure you that as soon as I have additional details to share, I will.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@sutherlandsd 

>But they sure can fix their updater to not allow the Reddit fix..

>Slimy is the word that comes to mind.

That didn't surprise me and I don't like that we can not currently downgrade (though I have no plans myself to do so since my ANC is still working).

But I am a content creator myself (I score for film) and in the US (and many other countries), I own my content and my intellectual property rights are copyrighted are protected by law.  As much as I don't like what Bose has done with the ANC of both the QC35i and QC35ii, the downgrading process was not created by Bose and not condoned by them but it did use their intellectual property.  They did mention here multiple times that they did not approve the process.  While they had no control over what was put on reddit, as I understand the downgrade process used their updating software which they certainly had the right to modify to inhibit the process.

We can certainly continue with the 'cat and mouse' process and it would not surprise me if someone came up with another way to downgrade.  However, we now know that if someone has a downgrade solution that involves Bose software - they will modify the software to inhibit the downgrading process.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Wayne_M 

1. Thank you for consolidating your status (as I previously suggested in a post here). However, you combined the previous communication into the pinned post and not the status I am currently replying/responding to.  That also needs to be there.
2. You have shared here that is now possible for an administrator to mark a solved post as unsolved when necessary.  Thank you for letting us know.
3. Nothing relating to the ANC issue is currently marked as solved as far as I can tell (though I only looked on page 1).  So our discussions on that topic are complete.

4. You have changed your firmware updating software and I personally have some concerns about your communication of such here:

a. I certainly understand the political sensitivity around Bose's property rights and their displeasure that there have been customers who have used the Bose updating software in a way not condoned/approved by Bose.  Bose is certainly well within its rights to modify its software to stop what it feels is 'misuse' of its software.  But I would ask, what is the 'risk' of simply stating such to the group here - that is reiterating Bose's disapproval of the downgrading process and stating that it has modified its software so that it can no longer be used to downgrade.  As you recollect, Bose in 2018 already has done that once before and announced multiple times downgrading is no longer supported.  I believe, the latest changes to the Bose software is really not different.   And yes - you are correct that Bose viewed it as a 'security hole' and fixed it.  But this is an opportunity imho for Bose to be more transparent instead of leaving customers guessing when they already know that Bose modified the software to prevent downgrading.

b. When Bose modifies software or firmware,  its practice has been here to announce it in a pinned thread.  There has been no mention of such a change to the updating software in a thread in this forum.

c. There have been those here, including myself, who have been concerned about the vagueness of Bose concerning describing changes to its software and firmware.  This topic has surfaced on most of the changes Bose has made for example in the last year.  Many of us would like more detail - sort of what you see being displayed when Apple updates iOS.  We don't need all the gory details, but for example,

"we have made a number of enhancements to the security of the updater and how it functions. These changes are being made to address identified security concerns as part of our commitment to delivering secure products and services."

Really doesn't tell us anything about how the updater has been changed.  The perception left to the users has been that Bose's changes are secretive and so once again it becomes a 'transparency' issue.  You have left your customers to figure out on their own what the changes are and the major ones will be discovered.  Everyone already knows that one of the security changes has been closing the 'security hole' that allowed for firmware downgrade.

So now I will ask you, what other changes were made?

You say: "enhancements to the security of the updater and how it functions".  What did you mean more specifically by 'how it functions'?  Aside from closing the security hole, what other changes were made to the functionality of the updater?

bobrogers22
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Can I please downgrade my Bose QC35 ii?

Looks like the unofficial way of downgrading was shut down. The ANC quality has been severely downgraded. I need to get on a plane soon and I would really like the original Bose ANC back.

Either release a 4.5.3 update to fix the issue (or revert whatever you did) or please, allow users to downgrade to the previously working version.

I will never buy another Bose product in my life if this 💩 continues.

Note that you're not the only Noise Cancelling headphones anymore, a decline in sales will irreversibly follow long after this thread is dead just because the majority of the users are likely not aware of the issues. I'll certainly help spread the word not to trust Bose, and so will most other posters. 

Please, don't agitate your clients any further and just allow us to downgrade - that's all I ask.

glozanomoran
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

I have updated the firmware and now when I use it in the office it is as if there is no noise cancellation at all, I can hear everything and this makes my QC35 II worhtless because I was only using it for this purpose (not for listening to music). So I decided to Google search on this and this is how I got to this forum. I live in Belgium which is nowhere near Massachusetts 🙂

I cannot fill in the survey because it requires a US phone number. I am astonished that there are so many people who have the same problem. There are hundreds of posts and if there is a work-around it should be a sticky because I don't have the time nor the will to read through these hundreds of posts to have a product that costs relatively taken a lot of money working again.

So is there a work-around or a fix?

glozanomoran
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

I seem to be unable to edit my previous message, I don't know if this is by design on this forum. I wanted to share the product information of my headset and maybe these problems are related to a specific batch of headsets or is this truly about an update possibly going wrong?

Firmware version:

Serial number:

077061Z81525138AE

Name:

Bose QuietComfort 35 Series II

Production date:

1st June 2018

Update: the way to edit messages is messed up and pretty counter-intuitive 🙂

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@glozanomoran 

You can still indeed edit your message - it is just in another less intuitive place.  I have already called the Bose person who led the team which redesigned this site to provide the same feedback but have not yet heard back.

When the forum was redesigned, Bose moved the ability to edit a pre-existing response/post we have made to a different place.  Now instead of clicking on the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner on your post, you first click the REPLY button under your post and then instead of replying to your own own post, go to the post below in the gray'd box and you will see the three vertical dots.

glozanomoran
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Thank you, it is indeed seriously counter-intuitive furthermore I seem to be unable to like your post. Click the thumbs up does nothing on my end. I often also get a "verification failed" on the reCAPTCHA.

By the way I have tried the "reset" procedure on my QC35 II but that did not change a thing.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@glozanomoran 

The forum will log you out even if you say not to.  Go to the upper right hand corner above the Bose menu, refresh the screen and make sure you are still logged on.

seost
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

Guys, you scared me with this firmware issue so that I've uninstalled the Bose Connect app just before it finished downloading the infamous firmware on the phone. I was setting up my brand new QR 35 II.

I've quickly set the custom button on the headphones to "switch the NC" and removed the app. I've noticed it I was two firmware versions behind (4.3.6 and 4.5.2 - see attached pic). So far it seems to work like this, it connects to both my Android phone and Windows laptop.

Am i missing anything not upgrading the firmware and not using the Android app?

Thanks!

Firmware update r.png