Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 1, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Hey Wayne & other Bose folk.

I have a couple decades in dealing with firmware. And have a pair which is affected by this bug.

One thing I haven't heard is if Bose changed how the input volumes are handled. 

In past threads I've seen complaints about the microphone volume being too hot. 

If a change was made to dampen the microphone input for a frequency range without a correlating adjustment to the ANC's expectations for that feed, the drop in ANC performance makes sense.

And this sort of thing is easy thing to miss - been there & done that.  

-J

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Just wanted to reach out to confirm that Bose did try to get in touch with me. I didn’t answer because the number was based out of the UK and I’m in the US but, the voicemail was from a Bose representative. He said he’d attempt to reach out again soon.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2019

Can we downgrade to older releases until the bugs' been fixed?  My headphone is useless to me now.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 28, 2019

Interesting to note Googles response to products damaged by a firmware update.

The issue is only recent and they are replacing devices, under warranty or not!

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-is-reportedly-replacing-home-devices-bricked-by-firmware-update/

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Bose: 

"We are still in the process of scheduling these visits and will have an update on what we’ve found during them at a later time. More to come."

Oh, really? Why don't you stop pretending that you care about your costumers, and just tell us what you have found? It's quite obvious that the problem exists, and you are not putting the effort on solving it.

I guess Bose is going to continue doing this bull***t to all of us, until someone big throw that problem on the internet.

Everyday I am sending e-mails for those big YouTubers, so they could put their eyes on this problem, and I encourage everyone having the same problem to do the same. If a big YouTuber shares this problem, I guess Bose will fix this in a matter of a week or two.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Just registered to add my experience. As i like to know what changes between firmware versions I've been on the forum and noticed other users complain about degraded ANC with previous updates but never had any issues myself... until 4.5.2. I would say I'm far from an audiophile but could tell the difference immediately which led me to this thread.

I've been quietly waiting for Bose to issue a fix but today I've given up and tried the downgrade. I'm back on 4.3.6 and the ANC is back to what I remember, also deleted the Bose App so I don't automatically 'upgrade' again. Have to say it makes me cautious about buying Bose in the future, which is a shame because up until 4.5.2 I'd been completely delighted by the QC35ii's.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2017

"I've been quietly waiting for Bose to issue a fix but today I've given up and tried the downgrade. I'm back on 4.3.6 and the ANC is back to what I remember, also deleted the Bose App so I don't automatically 'upgrade' again. Have to say it makes me cautious about buying Bose." - Mute (previous post)

How are people managing to downgrade their firmware? I keep reading people saying they have done that but when I go in to the Bose Updater on my PC all it says is that I am using the most up to date version of the firmware.

I am sure I have read Bose forum posts saying that firmware down grades aren't possible?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 5, 2018

I reported the issue many months ago, in fact a year ago, where I updated the firmware and the anc effectiveness was greatly reduced. Well I reached out to Bose support (UK) and they agreed to replace my headphones with a brand new pair, they arrived today with firmware 4.3.6 already installed, well there is no difference between the ANC Low and High and absolutely no pressure effect when ANC is on. These are actually slightly less effective than the pair I sent back, the old pair was the earlier version, the replacement pair is the AZ version. So I am now at a loss as to what to do, they aren’t anywhere near as effective as when I first got them before updating the firmware and the new ones even less so, and from what I can see (although it’s a massive thread of messages now) is that Bose hasn’t given any more information yet since they said they would get back to us many months ago.

Come on Bose, the support in terms of replacing the headphones was great, but your support of actually fixing this issue which is now being reported by many people and professional companies is very lacking, I personally have been waiting for over 1 year after reporting the issue and still haven’t got a clue as to when or if an updated firmware will return the headphones to how they were first sold and also reviewed by many reviewers.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@m1sterd wrote:

I reported the issue many months ago, in fact a year ago, where I updated the firmware and the anc effectiveness was greatly reduced. Well I reached out to Bose support (UK) and they agreed to replace my headphones with a brand new pair, they arrived today with firmware 4.3.6 already installed, well there is no difference between the ANC Low and High and absolutely no pressure effect when ANC is on. These are actually slightly less effective than the pair I sent back, the old pair was the earlier version, the replacement pair is the AZ version. So I am now at a loss as to what to do, they aren’t anywhere near as effective as when I first got them before updating the firmware and the new ones even less so, and from what I can see (although it’s a massive thread of messages now) is that Bose hasn’t given any more information yet since they said they would get back to us many months ago.

Come on Bose, the support in terms of replacing the headphones was great, but your support of actually fixing this issue which is now being reported by many people and professional companies is very lacking, I personally have been waiting for over 1 year after reporting the issue and still haven’t got a clue as to when or if an updated firmware will return the headphones to how they were first sold and also reviewed by many reviewers.

That sucks 😞 You could try downgrading to an earlier firmware, reset the headphones, and see if it brings back the ANC you're used to. If that doesn't help, or you're not able/willing to downgrade, I would try and see if you can have it replaced by an AE model.

NB I've posted a video in this thread with a recording of what i believe is a realistic ANC performance for the AZ model, maybe it helps to compare.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 4, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I've been with Bose since QC25 and I'm on my 4th pair... so I know exactly how they NC used to work.
I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated. Things have not been the same since the forced update and I've been giving Bose some time to sort things out but 3-4months have passed now without any change nor solution.
I fly a lot and sit in a very noisy environment and cannot deal with this anymore. I can't deal with this anymore.

How do I do to return my QC35ii? They are significantly worse after the forced update.

Ps: I've tried to update through the app and website, reset ann discharge the battery
Shame how Bose is handling this. Will not buy from them anymore. My next NC headphones are from Sony