Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

As promised, I went to the mall and compare head to head (no pun intendeed) my pair of bose qc35 II on firmware 4.1.3 vs the mall's qc35 II on 4.5.2.

The results:

On very loud enviroments, the amount of noise canceled by the headphones is not that far, I would say that on 4.5.2 blocks about 65% and on 4.1.3 blocks about 75%.

The difference between High and Low is a feature on 4.1.3, if you want to hear more things, you put the headphones on low, I you want to block the world arround you, you use High. 

YOU CANNOT DO THIS ON 4.5.2. This feature DOES NOT WORK. I don't know how this bose 'engineers' cannot replicate this and assume that there is a problem, ¿or maybe they are just lying about not finding any issues, even after months?

White noise is not noticeable on that noisy environments.

My resume of the issue:

4.1.3 :

• Reported by many users as the last version with good ANC.
  • No white noise even in the quieters enviroments, I tried putting ANC on High in the night and I cannot hear or feel white noise at all.
  • Noticeable cabin pressure. I was already used to this feeling so this is not an issue for me, might be for some.
  • Noticeable difference between High and Low, really useful.
  • High is very strong, blocks a lot of noise, as supposed to.

4.5.2:

• A really noticeable and akward white noise even when ANC is disabled completely, this is the worst, the reason I buyed this headphones is to avoid this white noise that is present in almost every cheap bluetooth product. I tested this in the night, with almost no noise arround, and you can hear/feel clearly a lot of white noise. A shame for an AUDIO company.
  • NO DIFFERENCE between High and Low, High actually sounds like the middle between high and low of regular ANC of 4.1.3.
  • High blocks less noise than High on 4.1.3. (tested this in my home, in the office, in the kitchen, with differents regulars noises, like air conditioners, extractions fans, etc. You can really tell there is a difference.)
  • No cabin pressure, this might be due to the reduction in the 'power' of ANC in high, but does it really worth it? introduce white noise and lowering the quality of the main feature to reduce cabin pressure? not for me.

After all this, I don't think Bose will fix this, for me its just scheduled obsolescence. The timing was just when the bose 700 were launched, you don't have to be a genius or a conspiranoic to notice this.
Lets be honests here, its been 6 MONTHS since this started ... they already didn't fix it and they didn't even allow users to go back to 4.1.3 'legally', didn't that look suspiciuos to you ? THE FIX IS THERE, at reach, and they are not allowing it.

So.. what I'm going to do? Currently I was able to downgrade to 4.1.3 so I'm happy with the quality and I'm still on warranty. I will enjoy this headphones a couple of months and then, when the hinges get loosen, I will update the firmware and sent them to bose for a replacement, hopefully they offer me upgrade to the 700, I'll sell those and then I will try to buy the next gen of the sonys 1000X. I'll never trust Bose again for a high end product like this.

Also the 700 are not as comfortable for me, so I'm not planing on keeping those arround if I do this.

This post will probably be deleted for calling out bose on their scheduled obsolescence, that would be a clear message that is actually true so go ahead admins, admit it by deleting this...

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2019

I still can see your post though.

Also, Bose most probably know that there would be ansolutely NO POINT in deleting a post; I for one (and I'm sure many others, since this is a long standing issue) have saved all notification emails from this thread; meaning I have every single post (along with the content) saved in my inbox since I joined. So... deleting them here would make very little difference.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 9, 2019

Yeah, same here. Though, it makes a difference for all new users and the general public that is just coming here from Google or and article.

Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I just wanted to tell that I have a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 35 II that have firmware 4.5.2 installed and I having not any ANS issues like other having.
The headphones was manufactured in march 2019 if this helps.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 22, 2018

Okay, and how is that helping the thread? 

Did they come with 4.5.2 or you upgraded?

How did you upgrade, using an app or a PC? 

Mac or Windows and Android or iOS?

Did you use them with the previous firmware, or you upgraded straight away? 

I reached out to Bose Germany support, they did say they are aware that they are aware of the complaints, however they maintained that there is nothing wrong with the latest firmware. 

Went to the local Bose store, compared my headset with the 4.5.2 they had on display, and the ANC was similar and not as effective as it was/should be. Was offered a replacement however it was not possible to know which version the replacement would be on, got an AZ pair, manufactured sep. 2019 and on 4.3.6.

Can notice the cabin pressure again, however there is a noticeable white noise hum. The ANC seems a bit better against static low freq. noises like a fan or an kitchen exhaust, but it's horrible against high freq noises and especially voices, like office chatter which is the main complaint here.

Hesitant to upgrade, as I'm not sure what the policy would be after that, as I am not finding the 700 as comfortable, and even though I asked and showed them this thread that it is an option, they denied upgrading the headset at a cost.

Will have to get in touch with them again, so far the newer set does feel a little flimsier than the previous one, which was AR and manufactured beginning of 2018 I think, but I'll weigh in my options, as I'm dissapointed how by firmware updates Bose destroyed an amazing product. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I upgraded straight away using the Bose app on my iPhone without any issues.

Maybe do the problem have something to do when the headphones was manufactured? just a speculation.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

so how long did you use previouse fw and then updated ?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

CLS,

Could  you please to check if you don’t hear a slight hissing: turn on the headphones with high ANC in a quiet room and without music.

if anyone also has a weak hissing?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 18, 2017

BOSE,

This is unacceptable. I already had upgraded to 4.5.2 on my QC 35 II AE series and the ANC was s***. 
I've upgraded, using the PC app (Bose Updater), the Voice Prompts and I have no ANC whatsoever now. There is NO DIFFERENCE btw HIGH and LOW. A LOT OF HISS NOISE ON OFF SETTING!!! 

Boy, you're going to pay a lot to customers when someone will file a lawsuit against you. 

Allow us to downgrade to a previous version, preferably 2.0.1 or 2.1.3. PLEASE! I've been posting since the upgrade to 2.1.3 which i did by mistake. Previously I had QC 35 version 1 and the same thing happened there. You're heading towards Apple downhill with the battery and phone slowdown lawsuit. 

Allow us to revert or good luck paying back customers! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 9, 2019

Firmware 2.5.3 Serial ending in AE, Manufacturered April 26, 2017.

Very slight background hiss when first turned on that fades to blissful silence.

Bose, if you're reading this, please allow us to choose which firmware is installed.  Or fix the issues.  Thank you.