joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

@Gooner21My understanding sort of agrees with yours.  For iPhones, the Connect app will prompt you and ask if you want to install.  I have an iPhone.  I have read here, though for Androids that the installation proceeds without the user being prompted (not cool).

drock
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 21, 2019

says June 18 2018

They were working great on version it came with (2.2 something) until updated to 4.5.3 automatically and now done of mode anc working the same.

georgedomse
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2019

So just 10 minutes ago I managed to downgrade to 2.5.1 using the often posten github method.

My question - in your experience, which version was the best in terms of ANC? I heard bad things about 3.0.3 already...

Fiede0815
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2020

Hey guys,

i thought about buying these headphones. BUT is it correct that this problem exists since many months and Bose still can't handle it?

So at the moment it would be extremely silly to buy Bose or?

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Fiede0815  Firstly it is not a global problem and that is why it is taking so long.  It is not even obvious that the problem is directly related to firmware.  I still believe that some of the units have chipsets that slightly differ in behavior that what Bose expects them to be - but we'll see.  I have had my QC35ii for example upgraded twice to 4.5.2 - once with Bose connect and once with the website and mine still work perfectly.

Also keep in mind that not all the purchased units come with 4.5.2 - but with earlier versions which may (or may not) have the issue.  You just have to insure that you don't upgrade to 4.5.2.  If you are concerned about this, use Bose Connect in Airplane Mode.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

At some point Bose will think/believe/be certain that they have located and solved our ANC problem with a firmware upgrade (assuming it is not of course a hardware issue 🙂 ).

Then they will do some in house/internal testing, claim success and release the code.  We will use it and find out, perhaps, that the ANC issue remains.

Perhaps they will locate the problem and really fix it.  But here is my 'fantasy' for 2020.....  that Bose creates the next firmware release and works with some (or all) of us to test out the firmware before it officially releases - with a way to give them feedback.  Now I regularly get involved with Ring (the doorbell, camera, security people) on 3 to 5 betas a year which I believe really helps them.  Bose does not have to get that sophisticated.  As long as they have a place to upgrade to the beta (with the appropriate caveats and warnings) and a way to go back to 4.5.2, we can provide our feedback in a post here as a series of replies.

What do y'all think?

fulo009
Participant
Registered since

Nov 18, 2019

A year ago I got a pair of QC35 IIs but returned them due to headaches and a severe pressure feeling. Back then tbh I was so frustrated I didn’t even try listening to the headphones with ANC on low or off.

I’ve heard the lastest firmware lowers ANC, I was wondering ....

1) does the latest firmware reduce cabin pressure?

2) do the headphones sound the same with ANC ON and OFF?

Only reason I want to give them another shot is because the headphone itself was comfortable, the ANC wasn’t and I intend to use them for hours at a time.

gravax
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Just as a heads up. Bought a new pair of QC 35 II for my wife. They were MFGed 12 July 2019 and imported to Europe by Bose Netherlands. Their SN ends in AZ.

I got them they were running 4.3.6. With the same quality ANC as my older QC 35 II devices that were MFGed 8 May 2018 and with AE serial number.

I updated them to 4.5.2 from my desktop (with the BUT Bose site).

After update, their audio quality hasn't changed. Still same high quality ANC (with 3 distinct levels for High, Low, and Off).

As far as I am concerned, on the 2 QC 35 II devices we have now... with 2 different batches of manufacturing... both work flawlessly after update to 4.5.2.

2020-01-03 16.16.18-signed.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I get a 3rd set, they'll behave the exact same flawless way.

dashskullsasq
Enthusiast
Registered since

May 3, 2018

Nice to you.. Not so nice to everybody else who face the issues

sutherlandsd
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2019

So I was one who gave feedback to Bose and sent my headphones in so they could test them.  They sent me a new pair which worked excellent, I was leaving for a trip and needed a pair so I bought the Sony wh1000 xm3, which are indeed nice though not nearly as comfortable.  I gave my son the qc35II's and since then got another pair that are updated to 4.5.2 and work perfectly. They are an AZ serial number.

The only thing I like better about the Sony is the charging with USBC and I like being able to just cover the ear and it cuts out anc and actually amplifies sounds.

Comfort wise not even close Bose is better.