Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2020

Re: so it's been over 6 months now?

I've downgraded to 3.1.8 from the latest 4.5.2 version. I think my thing shipped with 4.3.<something>, but I don't recall. Manufacture date was August 2019 anyway, so it's brand new.

Didn't hear much or any difference between the versions. I'll check at work tomorrow how the ANC is in a noisier environment.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

keep is posted, this sounds quite interesting! 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Hi Ikit, thanks for this Post. I'm sure many people would be interested to learn how you managed to 'down-grade' to 3.x.x ?  If you can share the detailed precess that would be great. This may be a life-line to a lot of Customers who Upgraded and wished they hadn't.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Hi, I believe you've a very valid point that this affects different manufacturing 'variants' of the Q35ii's differently; and probably explains why Bose are really struggling to provide a 'fix'. This doesn't explain their silence on this topic!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 21, 2020

The real question is: Why is this update still available? I mean ususally if it causes so many troubles you remove it until you find a solution. My app is still prompting me to do this update, despite it would probably ruin my headphones.

Lucky me did a check on what was new before I did the update and found out there is a high chance of ruining my headphones, so I didn't do it. Others that come here on a daily basis saying how this upate ruined their headphones weren't so lucky.

I mean not finiding a fix for this for a year is one thing, but keeping the update online the whole time, creating more and more cases is really nasty.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

...yes I agree; I've asked that Question of the Bose Moderator more than once with silence being the Answer.  Can't get my mind around why this Upgrade wasn't pulled many many months ago.  Also asked for a 'time-to-fix' rather than the horribly 'open-ended' void there is today.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 18, 2020

@CirenJules 

There's a guide on the /r/bose subreddit. Beware that downgrading too far can brick your device.

As for my own conclusions - I noticed no difference between the 3.1.8 firmware and 4.5.2 firmware regarding ANC or audio in general. The amount of noise coming through is the same, the noise floor is still the same (audible in a silent room, nearly inaudible/noticeable when actively suppressing background noise)

I also compared with the Sony WH-1000XM3 a colleague has, and the ANC performance is similar.

Not to say I'm still curious about what other people find, but I can't find many other tests either on reddit or in these forums.

Also a fun note: WH-1000XM3 owners on reddit *also* complain about ANC having changed for the worse after an update, but also here there's no concrete evidence.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

Despite the fact that you can downgrade the firmware at your own, there is a risk. A lot of users claimed that doing this didn't brought their headphones to the same ANC they had on old firmwares, and some said it solved the problem.

It's not a 100% efficiency process, keep in mind that this could brick your headphone.

I'm here since the first post, and lost hope on Bose.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 6, 2019

This is so frustrating. I should not be able to hear a person's cough from 100ft away, around the corner in another room. It seems the noises they're now failing to cancel are the simplest ones like coughing or mouth noises. I'm so serious. They can block out a tree being cut down but not a person sucking their teeth. Btw, I have AirPods Pros and they block all of the above even with little to no music playing.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

Excuse my ignorance, I thought the technology of ANC was based on microphones which pick up external noise and counter that with an opposite wave length to neutralise. would a one off quick cough therefore be difficult to counter? 

aside from that. Whether the ANC is working or not, closed cup headphones surely would stop noise from 100ft away! Are you wearing them properly? I’ve also got a set of B&O cans without ANC and they restrict a large amount of external noise just be closing the ears