Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

@Wayne_M has left the chat... one month ago.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@kNagamotoThey really had nothing to report on 4 weeks ago in their last update.  If we have not yet heard again, my guess is more of the same.  They have already looked at units various customers have sent back.  There really imho only two possible scenarios at this point either (1) they still have no idea what is the underlying cause or (2) they have determined the cause but have not come up with a 'solution' they are willing to make public.  For a corporate testing situation such as this, four weeks for an issue at this level of 'complexity' is not particular long.  As I do not work or know what is internally going on inside Bose, my next comment is purely a 'guess':

Based on what I have read and myself experimented with on my own QC35ii AE, I still have reason to believe that either (1) they made a series of firmware modification for reasons other than ANC that impacted ANC and they have yet come up with a way to modify the firmware to address our ANC concerns while maintaining the changes they made - this is less likely but possible --- OR (2) it is quality control hardware issue that involves some of the groups of chipsets used by the QC35ii's.  That could explain why some QC35s have an issue with 4.5.2 and some (like mine), do not.  If that is the case, they may be trying to come up with a firmware modification to provide consistent ANC functionality regardless of whether the QC35 has a good or faulty chipset.  If this is the case, they may still be trying to figure out a firmware modification and is not likely we will hear anything until they are totally done, tested and release the firmware.   However, if it is a chipset problem and they can not cost effectively create a firmware update to support all the chips, then they would need to quietly figure out a way for exchanges much the same way as they did for the QC35i's that had faulty on/off switches.  In that case, again, imho, it would be 'problematic' for those whose units are outside of warranty.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Gosh you guys think this is just 4 weeks. It been quite a few months. I returned mine months ago. Now I really like the px7 but very expensive in nz. So waiting for the new sony.

I still get email updates from this thread and its sad how everyone is giving bose a reason / excuse. For someone who works in software systems eng .. the number of reasons are endless so don’t bother and move on.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@rockranIts not just 4 weeks, its been 4 weeks since the last update.  This situation predates 4.5.2 so it likely goes back a year - perhaps longer.  I don't believe in excuses for Bose and they should not be let off the hook.  There are multitudes of indisputable evidence pointing to an ANC issue.

We don't know why they have not yet come up with a fix or perhaps they already have at least a diagnosis if not already a fix.  From my own perspective, lack of communication is not equivalent to lack of effort.  There is nothing here to suggest that they have given up or are covering up something.

We might not like that it is taking so long but perhaps with our own expertise (you said you were in IT and I spent 30+ years myself in IT) we can help at least with the diagnosis as we did with the faulty on/off switch situation for the QC35i.  In that case we had a diagnosis and suggested DIY fix.

We don't ourselves have a definitive diagnose.  Many here suggest that earlier firmware does not have the issue and suggest retrograding.  We do know Bose won't support this as a solution.  We also know that the firmware itself is not globally causing the issue as customer like myself have 3.5.2 without a problem.

For the last few months, perhaps last 6 or so months, Bose through it's sharing here has been trying to determine if there is a pattern suggesting that the problem only occurs with some of the units.  We still don't know whether that is a direction towards a diagnosis.   While we wait, perhaps we can get some sort of agreement/buyin within ourselves of a possible diagnosis.  So far we really have nothing conclusive that sticks.

I am still believing the issue involves faulty chipsets in some group of the units.  But if that is verified to be the case, it may be random chips, perhaps not.  Following that path would lead the firmware people to have to support ANC in two different ways - one for the expected behaviors and one for the non-expected ones.  That may or may not be financially viable for a firmware change and in that case the only other solution is an 'exchange'.

My point here as long as Bose continues to work the issue and we have no reason yet to believe they have stopped, we have to wait.  They are not going slow intentionally.  All we can do is make suggestions based on our own 'testing' as towards an explanation of a cause.  The one thing that will never happen is a firmware regression support from Bose.  They are more than likely to 'permit' that through the exchange of a unit with a early firmware release.  Now for me that functionally makes no sense that they will support earlier firmware releases if they have not been upgraded but not downgraded.  But that is their policy and it is not going to change.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 17, 2015

QC35ii 4.52 Firmware - news ??

Hello any updates on this yet ? There seems to be a super lack of information flowing in from Bose. My app is telling me to update but I don’t want too!

why haven’t you puled this update from

the update server ???

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 8, 2019

@joelirwin dude, you must be quite invested in bose world to truly believe this. Of course a lack of communication is a sign of neglect. Clear communication is the most important thing in a situation when customers are doubting your goodwill and there is none to be found here. Over 200 pages of theory over theory what is happening and not one official word that even acknowledges the full problem. We might not have a "definitive diagnose" but after 7 months of "analyzing" bose has. Why aren't they telling us what's up? Yeah, sure the rules are theirs to set but even if there will not ever be a fix I would prefer them to tell us: ok - you have to get a replacement unit and if you are out of warranty, sorry, you're out of luck. This would be the honest way to deal with it. Bose just avoids it, be it out of financial reasons or otherwise, idc. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2017

Alright, so almost three years passed since I got my QC35, upgraded it two days after buying the headset and found that the ANC got much worse than it had been with the original firmware.

Upgrading/downgrading using Bluetooth and cable, countless reset procedures, even letting the battery die completely and not charging it for about two weeks to make sure everything is discharged... Nothing. ANC quality is far from any new pair of headphones I can test in local shops side-to-side.

Recently I've heard that someone leaked internal bose info (rumours or real info -- you never know, but it seems aligned with what's going on) that the upgrade process itself on a few unit simply fries couple of hardware components inside (capacitors?) and it's irreversible. You can downgrade to any firmware, but the ANC won't be anymore as good as it had been in the beginning due to the changed hardware parameters.

I think it would make sense. If the chipsets and other components are already pre-programmed before being soldered on the boards, then the initial firmware works perfectly no matter which version it is. After the upgrade process passes high currents (or maybe high freq electromagnetic waves that induce strong currents in hardware components) through some internal wiring, the game is over.

Can anyone from bose confirm this and stop pretending nothing is known but just the users are being stupid?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Really like your Post😊There are many others which Bose simply choose to just ignore.... like 'why hasn't 4.5.2 been removed as an Upgrade?'

There are issues with other Bose products - eg truly wireless buds with an over-heating issue when used in hot climates and soundbars being bricked by an Update - that sends worrying signs around the quality of Product design and (software) maintenance.

Brutal truth is that Bose are more about Marketing and Sales than Customer retention.

What's happening in this case, particularly lack of credible Communications and any sort of 'way forward' plan, means I'm never buying Bose again. Will keep my Q35ii's on 2.5.1 and sell my Truly Wireless Buds. Maybe that's the message more people need to send to Bose?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 24, 2020

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Hi,

I just have to agree with your observations.  I have the QC35 ii and they came with 4.3.6 factory installed.  After reading a lot of posts from this thread, I avoided the 4.5.2 upgrade.  I however, decided to downgrade to 2.2.1, and immediately what I noticed was I no longer hear white noise, just silence ( I used to hear a very low white noise in the background when no music was playing).  So now I am happier customer.  I really don't need/use Alexa or google assistant or any ANR.  I just want quality music and ANC pumping out of the headphones.  

Just adding some additional thoughts and this may be a placebo effect, but somehow I feel the bass response is now better (deeper and tighter) but again this might just be me...

Thanks for the post!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

It is just endlessly disappointing. I agree with many others who spoke before me, what other signal than: move on from Bose and never turn back, does this entire story send? And I also agree, no communication means that they do not care about their customers (or the subset that is experiencing problems). Why would you give this company several 100 Dollars in the future? 

The ANC was Bose's stellar feature on the QC35. But what's the point if they fry the next cans in a year or two?