inverse
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Hello all.

I'm searching for a set of headphones. my first requirement is for them to be super comfy cause i tend to suffer from ear pain and i plan on using them for hours straight, that's when i came across QC35II.

my second requirement is of course, ANC. I'll be using them for studying at libraries, cafes etc, therefore it must have awesome ANC - that's when i came across a lot of posts about software 4.5.2 that allegedly degraded anc quality.

my question is - if i'll buy them and avoid updating the software, should i be ok? 

lunchman
Advocate
Registered since

Feb 5, 2020

@inverse , from my experience the answer is Yes. I purchased the NC700s for myself, the QC35 IIs for my wife knowing she would prefer them. Since I'm well aware of the 4.5.2 firmware issue, I've made sure there's no chance these will ever receive a firmware upgrade.

She's on an iPhone X and will never install the Bose Connect app. It simply wouldn't be of interest to her. Do I know what version of firmware these headphones currently run? Nope. And I don't care. All I know is the ANC in both sets of headphones are equivalent. When I turn them on and cycle through the ANC levels, they go from hearing background noise to dead silence as they should. And that's all my wife cares about - do they cancel out background noise? Any other features the Bose Connect app might have to offer are unimportant. 

So yes, if you prevent the headphones from upgrading the firmware you should be fine. Others may have different methods to prevent this such as placing your phone in airplane mode when using the Connect app, but I'm not taking any chances in screwing up what are perfectly good working headphones. Sure, the engineer in me would like to know what FW version is installed, but I know well enough when to leave things alone, especially since they're not my headphones! 😊

WolfJT
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

I agree, Bose has lost me as a customer as well. The very least they can do is give their customers a response to what the issue is. The silence is absolutely unacceptable. 

Grahamzer
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2020

I just found this post AFTER i'd upgraded. Same story here, Noise cancelling is almost useless now. What I cant believe (other than the lack of response from Bose) is that they would keep that firmware update live for one after another user to download it only to have the same brutal effect on what was otherwise a perfectly brilliant headphone set. 

This post is over 2 years old AND has had Bose employee's respond on it. 

In this competitive world of customer success this reflects very poorly on Bose, their brand and their after sales support. 

Bitterly disappointed - I will check back in here for any sort of update but based on what I've read so far don't expect much.

Its a real shame as i was an ardent promoter of this brand.......    

kutomuto
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

does anyone has got twitter post about this issue ?

vinayak.india
Participant
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

kutomuto
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Sorry cannot access to this tweet.

WolfJT
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Just search for bose on Twitter, you'll find a couple of mine 

WolfJT
Participant
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Don't know if they will take this post down. But like you I've had the exact same experience. I have now switched brands. Luckily I took out a warranty at Best buy and switch out the QC35 for another brand. Soley because of the lack of communication on Bose's part. 

Josephlintw
Participant
Registered since

Mar 13, 2020

You are lucky. I noticed this issue a long time and raised this problem over 8 months, but didn't get any feedback or updates from BOSE. I cannot believe a big pioneering company made this kind of service, especially it's really a big issue. An excellent ANC is what this product's sell point. Without it, it's nothing.