olafmol
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Bose is actively blocking all options to have customers fix their misbehaving ANC, and in the meantime doesn't come up with ANY solution at all. Note: this issue is being reported and discussed from 2017 onwards, over 2 years already. I don't think they are able to fix this if they weren't able to fix it over the last 2 years. They probably hoped that the new series would be better-behaving, but we see the same issues with degraded ANC already popping up there too. It's sad.

solis.invicti
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

The tool's GitHub page suggests not downgrading to firmware earlier than version 2.1.3 for AZ series models or it'll brick the headset, while AE series are not affected by this issue. 

@ikozz wrote:

Yesterday I received from Bose Russia a new pair of QC 35 II after my first pair bricked during update (disconnect when update).

New pair build at Jan 2019 with 4.1.3 firmware on board. AZ series.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Wayne_M 

Hi Wayne.  Thanks for the update.  Though keep in mind it is buried on page 151 of this post and you have not added this response to your 'pinned' 3.5.2 post.  So most people will not see it. (You did put the information in a pinned post at the top entitled "survey" but I for example, never looked at it since I didn't want to fill out a survey - suggest you integrate that response in a single 4.5.2 pinned post you are already maintaining).

I and I am sure others appreciate the fact that you are keeping us in the loop and updated to a certain extent on what you are doing.  What is imho missing, is a lack of concrete information on the status of your investigation.

What people here are seeing is the continuing comments by Bose for months - possibly over a year - that nothing has changed with ANC from the Bose end thus suggesting that the myriads of reports here of ANC changes (where for example there is no difference between LOW and HIGH) are simply unconfirmed and recognized as changes.

So for example in your recent post where you said:

>So everyone is aware, earlier this month we reached out to users to schedule visits to their home so

>the Engineering Team could test the QC35IIs in a live setting. We learned some new information

>from those members we spoke with

So what is the risk of sharing with us what new information you learnt from those members?

What people here are looking to read / hear from Bose is the first step of taking ownership over the issue and to state that you can confirm that in some number of units (whatever number that means), there is has been a change in the ANC.

Until Bose gets to that point of agreeing something in ANC has changed, many here will appreciate that you are taking the time to investigate but for those who have QC35ii that believe they have been impacted, Bose will be viewed as merely 'going through the motions' but not taking responsibility to 'fix' or otherwise mitigate the situation.

An immediate or short term fix or solution is not what is expected next though it would be welcomed.  However, to this point and for some time now, Bose has denied responsibility or even the existence of a change to ANC.

So is Bose at the point that they can say that they can confirm that for some population of QC35ii there have been issues with changes to ANC?

Semicoln
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

@Wayne_M 

@joelirwin

or at least confirm an observation by Bose that is perceived as a change in ANC

Vinnie205
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

It seems some people cannot differentiate ANC stopped working completely vs losing some of its performance which adds to the confusion?

HendrikV
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 6, 2019

I'm wondering when Bose is coming with an update on this issue.

It seems fairly clear what has happened and by the looks of it,

a lot of people have provided exact details of their degraded noise cancellation.

dacerrob
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

Here to also contribute, my bose headphones have an awful hissing noise out the right cup when noise cancelling is on but no music playing. Goes away when i turn off ANC. Firmware 4.5.2 Sound familiar? Is it just my own voice echoing? Unfortunately for me, I bought mine back in 2018, I literally baby these headphones, but i won't even qualify for the 1-year warranty. At least give me the option of reverting back to earlier firmware to troubleshoot this. And no, the answer is not to drop another 400 bucks on your underwhelming new headphones. If there is no response to this issue, this is the last time i own a bose product

Drew2015
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

I ran into someone at Best Buy that had the same problem. He said he replaced the mic. Maybe you could look inside the head phones. Disable the mic. Could be a fault mic. Allowing sound in. Let me know how it works? 

Have you thought about going online to Square Trade and getting insurance on your expenses headphones. They insure many electronics. Hint hint. 

scottarue
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 31, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

I just bought the 700 headphones and sent them back because they automatically turn off after 10 minutes if you fall asleep.

I ordered a pair of QC35 II because the reviews are great - but I stumbled on this forum. Sounds like the QC35 II have their own set of problems. Any advice? I will be getting them next week - ordered from Bose.

What firmware is stable and has good ANC -- and where do you get it? Can you install an older version of firmware over newer?

Pumperman
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2019

I am gutted.

I had my previous QC35ii replaced by Bose due to a physical defect, and was over the moon with the level of customer service.........then, the new pair just didn’t seem right. The ANC was significantly diminished.

So, I progressed with the software update to 4.5.2, and it made no different. The ANC cannot compare with previous performance of last years model (with no software updates). Apologies I didn’t make a note of the software version on the new pair but the build date was July 19 and did update. So, to me this seems an issue predating the 4.5.2 update.