Highlighted
jbrugger
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

If Bose is still investigating, and if the problems are real (I suffered from this issue as well, so I do believe there is a real problem) and no, my new qc35ii AZ are not as good as my AE were...

Why, please tell us why, is there no action whatsoever to take 4.5.2 offline ?

I really don’t understand you here. 

first rule of them all, the customer is always right, even if he’s not. And in this case, there is not just one customer complaining. In the end, even if you get this issue solved, this is going to harm the company!

Bose, do take action! Things only get worse if you don’t!

Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Hi Wayne, whilst it’s good to (finally) see a Moderator Post, can I respectively suggest dropping what comes across as scripted Corporate Com’s which tells us nothing we don’t already know. This Issue has been running for ages; way to long to Post platitudes.

Really unhappy Customers deserve answers to specific Questions contained in various Posts.

Why not go through these and do a ‘Q&A’ style Moderator Post; that will, at least, show some empathy and be value-add.

Starters For Ten:

1.  Why hasn’t the current 4.5.2 been stopped and removed as an Upgrade? (Stop piling-on the agony)

2. Why is this Issue still horribly open-ended? No time-to-fix after 9+ months if you’ve expensive ANC-less 35ii’s just isn’t good enough I’m afraid (and is creating a host of people who won’t buy the Bose brand again)

3. Why isn’t there an interim option to use a ‘last known good’ backwards compatible Firmware? (if there’sa good reason please explain)

I’m sure others on this Forum/Thread have their own personal favourite Q’s which remain unanswered?

Highlighted
XJ05HUA
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2020

I just got my QC35ii yesterday and upgraded from to 4.5.2 and I can tell the ANC has definitely got worse than before I updated them, I think I will most likely try and return them as I just got them and I will likely get the Sony WH-100MX3s instead.  There is practically no(if any) difference between high and low ANC settings. Not happy with Bose as this was my first Bose product, Will definitely get Sony instead.

Highlighted
kNagamoto
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 8, 2019

sorry to be negative but the most recent response did not answer anything:

"At this point I don't have any additional news to provide other than we are continuing to work on this."

> to what is "this" referring? Is there a problem with the 4.5.2 update? It's so frustrating that bose doesn't even admit this..

"We have received some headsets from customers and are in the process of analyzing them."

> this is the status since July 5th (A1). Has bose gained any insight from almost 7 months of analyzing? What did you find out?

"I hope to have a more detailed update at a later time."

> very vague, similar words can be found under almost all the responses so far(A2) and the amount of information bose provided then amounts to: "we investigate the situation"-- also: When is that later time?

"As a reminder if you are unhappy with any of our products, for whatever reason, please contact us here."

> is this the broad hint that a fix will be a long times off?

A1:

5 July 2019

Hi all,

We'd like to personally thank all the users who have so far returned, or volunteered to return, their headset to our development team for investigation. These units are being used to assess and evaluate your concerns, and we'll be sure to post here when we have feedback or news to share with the Community.

A2:

Spoiler
3 December 2019
'll get everyone more information once I have it!
16 October 2019
Once we have done a few more and have concrete information to share, we will.
10 October 2019
I will make sure to have more information for you soon.
2 September 2019
But we will communicate what we learn. All of it.
17 July 2019
We will keep you updated as soon as more news becomes available.

Highlighted
XJ05HUA
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2020

I returned the QC35II I updated to 4.5.2 back to the shop and they were replaced them with ones that came pre installed with 4.3.6 and the new ones on the old software are so much better, why cant bose just scap 4.5.2 and go back to 4.3.6.

Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

....thanks for sharing this;  many people have been asking the same Question - this Q, along with other relevant ones, continue being 'blanked' by Bose Moderators I'm afraid. Any ideas on how best to raise the profile of this issue?

Highlighted
m1sterd
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 5, 2018

I have been reporting the issue for well over a year, I do not believe it is specific to 4.5.2 as it did it to me upgrading from 2.x.x to 3.1.8 and that it’s something to do with the way they update the headphones, I am on my third replacement set from BOSE because of this, even the latest headphones without me updating them do not have anywhere near as effective ANC as my original set before I then updated the firmware. I personally am moving away from BOSE headphones, it’s a shame the QC 35 II are really comfy and I found the 700 to be less comfy for wearing for long periods of time. BOSE have been great with replacing the headphones but absolutely no responses to the actual issue of firmware update issues, what it means is that firmware upgrades that actually fix real issues (such as connection fixes) means you have to take a risk at fixing a problem and losing any kind of half decent ANC.

Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

...thanks for this Post; interesting comment. Whilst totally at your own Risk, there are other Posts on here with links to a Reddit Post on how to downgrade the Firmware back as far as you'd like/risk going.

Highlighted
georgedomse
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 27, 2019

Well, I downgraded based on said reddit / git instruction. I went from 4.5.2 to 3.x.x (don't know anymore which one, but pretty much to one of the first 3.x versions) and I must say that the performance did not get better. Or to say, it never got as good as it was in the beginning when I purchased the headphones with 2.6.x I believe (it was 2.something for sure).

So my conclusion is: either these never were as good as I remember them (unlikely) or the upgrade broke something that no downgrade can fix.

Highlighted
wdicc
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 7, 2019

@m1sterd wrote:

I have been reporting the issue for well over a year, I do bot believe it is specific to 4.5.2 as it did it to me upgrading from 2.c.x to 3.1.8 and that it’s something to do with the way they update the headphones, I am on my third replacement set from BOSE because of this, even the latest headphones without me updating them do not have anywhere near as effective ANC as my original set before I then updated the firmware. I personally am moving away from BOSE headphones, it’s a shame the QC 35 II are really comfy and I found the 700 to be less comfy for wearing for long periods of time.

I think Bose simply won't fix the problem, cause they didn't think it's a problem. I don't believe that they can't fix the problem for 6-9 months.  They have  provide the solution already, you can contact the customer service to change an new pair or make a refund, they think they can afford it. So don't waste your time here, just contact Bose.