Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Yes I tend to agree; this Issue is probably made worse by different production runs using slightly different (quality?) components from their Supply-Chain - so fault tracking/fixing is even more difficult.

Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Fair Comment - especially if your headphones are still in their Warranty Period. People who are outside are apparently being asked to pay an amount for a replacement - or even more cash for the newer 700 series.  I wonder if Bose's real issue is different production runs using components from different Suppliers which has introduced an Issue which is very difficult to produce a fix for (which doesn't break  something else for others) Just a thought.

Highlighted
perkins
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 30, 2019

Somehow I have lost my hope in this issue and I don´t believe Bose will fix this bug. Actually I don´t even believe that they know how to do it.

These headphone were my first Bose purchase. That´s because I felt that the Bose products are overrated (at least the speakers).

With the experience I got in this matter basically confirms my doubts against Bose as company (which products I wish to own) and I´m not going to purhase their product in future.

Yes, they are good, but luckily the differences are small so there are other alternatives which are as good or even better.

-Over and out-

Highlighted
ryankatz1980
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 27, 2020

So I have a pair of QC 35 II arriving tomorrow.  I've just read up on this thread, and see there's some serious firmware issues.  Can someone please confirm the easiest way to check what firmware I have on the headphones out of the box, as well as what version is considered "safe?"  There seems to be a lot of varying reports between whether it's 4.3, 3.x, or all the way back to 2.x.

Thanks,

Ryan

Highlighted
greeeg
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 5, 2019

@ryankatz1980 wrote:

So I have a pair of QC 35 II arriving tomorrow.  I've just read up on this thread, and see there's some serious firmware issues.  Can someone please confirm the easiest way to check what firmware I have on the headphones out of the box, as well as what version is considered "safe?"  There seems to be a lot of varying reports between whether it's 4.3, 3.x, or all the way back to 2.x.

Thanks,

Ryan

Use the desktop (windows/mac) Bose updater : http://btu.bose.com

Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Hi, if you've an iOS device, the Bose App is a safe alternative to the desktop link from another Post. It will show you the Firmware Version and won't start any Download or Install without your ok.  Someone has already Posted a great summary of the different Firmware Versions and their assessment of the impact on ANC. It will be in the last 5 pages or so if you want to find it.  Please be aware that any earlier versions - via the process on Reddit - are totally at your risk.

Highlighted
Sekkai
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 28, 2020

Hi, I'm new and I don't really ever am on forums so I'm trying something.

I bought these headphones on august 8th in 2019 and I didn't know the new filmware would worsen the ANC. I already thought: What a minor difference. I thought it was me who could just not hear it clearly.

Reading a summary of what's been going on, really depresses me. I saved money for half a year to buy these! 

I heard we could return these and pay a bit more for the newer version (700)? How does a human do that? There are so many comments, I can barely see them.

Thank you,

Highlighted
m1sterd
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 5, 2018

I just called the BOSE customer service number (for me it was the UK number) and they talked through the issue, asked to try updating to latest firmware (LOL the cause of the issue in the first place) and then to try a full reset, then for me they offered to replace the headset and they give you all the return details including pre-paid postage to send the existing headphones back, I was told they would typically only return replace for the 700’s if it was the 3rd time being returned (plus an extra £50), however I guess it depends who you speak with. I was told the 700’s have slightly better ANC but that they were no where near as comfortable, and comfort was of high importance to me. As I said previously, BOSE have been excellent in handling the returns (I have now done it twice, so on my third pair, each having the same ANC issues) but it would be much better if they just addressed the actual ANC issue, my guess is they can’t find the problem as I think it must be the updater itself or the headphones losing some kind of calibration in the firmware update, but it’s all guessing as BOSE won’t actually acknowledge the issue.

Highlighted
olafmol
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@m1sterd wrote:

I just called the BOSE customer service number (for me it was the UK number) and they talked through the issue, asked to try updating to latest firmware (LOL the cause of the issue in the first place) and then to try a full reset, then for me they offered to replace the headset and they give you all the return details including pre-paid postage to send the existing headphones back, I was told they would typically only return replace for the 700’s if it was the 3rd time being returned (plus an extra £50), however I guess it depends who you speak with. I was told the 700’s have slightly better ANC but that they were no where near as comfortable, and comfort was of high importance to me. As I said previously, BOSE have been excellent in handling the returns (I have now done it twice, so on my third pair, each having the same ANC issues) but it would be much better if they just addressed the actual ANC issue, my guess is they can’t find the problem as I think it must be the updater itself or the headphones losing some kind of calibration in the firmware update, but it’s all guessing as BOSE won’t actually acknowledge the issue.

My advise: check YT videos to verify the real-world ANC capabilities of the Bose CQ35ii, to make sure you agree with their "out of the box" performance. TBH, ANC will not be filtering out higher frequencies and ad-hoc noises, it's simply not capable of doing that. It will be filtering out mid and lower frequencies with a regular pattern ("noise"), and especially combined with playing music and the passive filtering of over-ear headphones the combination works nicely. But sometimes the expectations are simply to high, so checking the videos makes sense. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/q8qMYKNutb4?t=411 

CHECK PRICES or BUY HERE US & International - http://geni.us/vSzW6fA BHPhoto - https://bhpho.to/2z6ylUc Full Transparency for my audience: Links above are my...
Highlighted
CirenJules
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

This is a really great Post imo; one of the best I’ve read on here in a while - thanks for sharing what you know.

This seems to offer the best (only worthwhile?) solution/support process which everyone with this Firmware/ ANC issue should note take-up? A precedent has now been set (by Bose UK Support).

Does this apply to out of Warranty too?  

The only niggling doubt I have is the ‘best’ for ANC Firmware version which is lower-than-4.5.2.

Do Bose day anything’s part of sending you the 1st/2nd/3rd replacement pair? Such as ‘whatever you do, please don’t upgrade the Firmware’?