Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 24, 2020

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

Just purchased my QC35ii and before I could begin using the firmware updated.

Having had other Bose noise cancelling I have to say I was most disappointed with the quality of the ANC. Now I know why. 
Hope Bose can do something about this

Going to look into returning as even on high I can hear minimal outside noise

VERY DISAPPOINTED 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 24, 2020

How do you reset? I just purchased, had to update firmware to use, but noticed immediately quality of ANC not nearly as good as my wired 15 year old.

Going to look to return if I can

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

return it while you still can.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 24, 2020

Just purchased my QC35ii and before I could begin using the firmware updated.

Having had other Bose noise cancelling I have to say I was most disappointed with the quality of the ANC. Now I know why. 
Hope Bose can do something about this

Going to look into returning as even on high I can hear minimal outside noise

VERY DISAPPOINTED 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 24, 2020

Can the average person downgrade the firmware from 4.5.2?

just purchased mine , upgraded as instructed but truly noticed the ANC issue.

Are there directions to downgrade?

thanks

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Sue HI am a user like you - I do not work for Bose.  From my reading in this forum, Bose set a policy in 2018 that supports only the most recent firmware.  They will not support the process of taking a unit with 4.5.2 and 'downgrading it' from a third party site - remember they will only support the 'upgrading' using either the Bose Connect app or a Bose website.  Anyone who posts a process of how to downgrade here will likely have their process instructions removed by the moderators (though anyone can simply find those instructions with Google).  This does not appear to have stopped those from wanting to take the risk of downgrading to do so.  However, if you have a way to return and exchange your unit to a retail store or on sites like eBay, you may find a more amenable version of the firmware that way as most of those units have not been upgraded.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

@vdmI get what you shared is not official Bose information but interestingly, it is not all that different from what I have been suggesting here for the last few months - that the issue could be that chipsets in the unit with expected behaviors are behaving differently and that behavior is not anticipated by the current firmware.

If that indeed is the case, regardless on how it happened - manufactured that way or changed via the firmware or upgrading process, the point then becomes what to do about it.  IMHO, either Bose needs to change the firmware to accommodate both behaviors or if that is not possible, they'll need to have some sort of physical exchange program as they did the QC35i's that have a faulty on/off switch.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 24, 2020

Thanks for the response.

I bought on Amazon and am returning tomorrow though I hate to. But, no difference between LOW and HIGH and doesn’t seem a fix is anytime soon

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

@joelirwin - having followed this Thread for a few months, I fully agree with your 2 last Posts.

Put even more simply, if someone has a pair of QC35ii's:

- recently bought and unfortunately auto-updated to 4.5.2 => send them back asap

- still within the warranty period => call Bose CS and get agreement for a no-cost Return/Replacement

- not bought yet => really really think long and hard before buying

- just/not too many years/months outside warranty period => try Bose CS and see if they'll help

- long way outside warranty and ANC less than useless => nothing to lose by downgrading the Firmware (albeit at your own risk but you've, in effect, nothing to lose if your previously loved bins are in the draw or you no don't want to use them anymore). No fix any time soon - if ever - imo.

Any thoughts? Any options missed?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 13, 2019

@Sue H wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I bought on Amazon and am returning tomorrow though I hate to. But, no difference between LOW and HIGH and doesn’t seem a fix is anytime soon

LOW means that the external mic's are disabled, and thus wind-noises etc are removed. It's doesn't really affect the ANC itself. Maybe Bose should explain it a little better in their documentation.