Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macro044
Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2020

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Hi team, I have found the following works in my case; please tell me how the rest of you go 

Enable Developer Options (options -> system -> about phone -> click build number 7 times)

Press back

Go to settings, and search AVRCP.

Click on Bluetooth AVRCP Version and ensure it is on 1.6.

Next, search for Absolute

Absolute Volume - Disable (if enabled) and then turn this ON.

Unpair QC35. 

Restart your phone. 

Pair the QC35 again.

To the right of the Paired Bluetooth QC35 in the Bluetooth settings page is a gear icon,

turn off the Phone Calls toggle, leaving only Media audio enabled.

Exit settings.

Connect the QC35, start playing something.

Increase the volume using the volume up button and .. ANC & volume work again!

To disable Developer Options; select the disabled option from the developer options menu. 

(reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/advdfs/finally_fixed_bluetooth_volume_on_pixel_2_xl/ )

This issue seems to occur with with the firmware update, or if you update to the latest android version. 

mphs68
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

I just got quietcomfort 35 II when t.oggle noise cancelling off low and high I dont hear a big difference is their suppose to be a big differnce. I turned my heat in the house on with noise cancelling off i could hear it running with it set to high I couldn't . I just don't notice a big difference.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@mphs68You are then likely in the group of customers/users who can not tell the difference between low and high because frankly for your unit, there probably is little difference.  There is another group of people on 4.5.2, such as myself, who can hear a significant difference.  So it does not appear to be 'global'.  Also us users are not sure exactly how one can tell which group they are part of NOR whether there is some way for the ones who can't tell the difference to make that difference wider as it 'should be'.  Bose has a project under way to look at this and they have a pinned post to provide us with updates but we have not heard since the end of January, and even when we do hear, its about their need for testing units - they will not share with us their findings probably until there is a solution.

Bose does not support regression to an earlier versions of firmware.  Anyone posting information on that has the information removed though you could probably figure it out on your own anyway.  Nonetheless, some who have shared here that they have done so report better ANC differentiation while others have found no difference depending on the firmware version.  Again, the firmware is Amazon intellectual property/copyrighted and while you may or may not agree with the effectiveness of the earlier versions, Amazon has the right to control use of all its products imho.

As far as other alternatives - 4.5.2 came out on 6/18/19.  So no updates of any kind in the last 9 months and with the virus situation, we may honestly not see anything come out until this summer, fall or possibly not until 2021 - assuming it is fixable by firmware.  I still personally believe the problem is hardware related and could be an issue with malfunctioning chips in some of the QC35ii's.  If that is the case, Bose would have to set up an exchange program (they would do so likely very quietly) and as with its current policies, would like charge a fee for units out of warrantee.

jbrugger
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 30, 2019

Just as their debacle with the sleepbuds..

It took a while to admit it, probably they don't want another issue in public.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/bose_headphones_support/bose_in_ear_headphones_support/n...

As I quote them:

"We’re sorry for disappointing you, and we’re sorry for not communicating more clearly along the way. We had good intentions, but unless that makes a difference to you, it’s not enough."

When do they learn about their mistakes? Communication is everything! Be honest, clear and tell what is going on. You ruining your brand this way.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Let's be realistic at this point.  They have been working on this for a long time (at least 9 months).  We don't know where they stand.  They have not updated us since late January.  It is highly likely at this point that they are not working on it.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they solve the issue this year.  I am guessing still it is a hardware issue and the US and probably other call centers are shut down indefinitely (not even yet mentioned on the bose dot come home page).  So hope for something in 2020 but expect something in 2021.

Mally
Participant
Registered since

Mar 20, 2020

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

I have noticed that this thread seems to be ongoing. I was wondering if under warranty / guarantee that BOSE gave to replace our QC35ii's with units that work as advertised and sold?

I have a set of these and I too am experiencing issues with the noise cancelling.

Unfortunately we currently have an item that does not fulfil the description that it was sold to us on, and the company seems to be happy to leave us with items that do not fulfil their purpose at point of sale. Promising an update but never delivering.

I was curious as to wether we are entitled to get replacement units for the ones we have (please see the link below). I paid a lot of money for these headphones and would expect a lot more from BOSE to be honest.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/26/bose_firmware_borks_headphones/

Thank you in advance for your help in this.

dbosejay
Participant
Registered since

Mar 20, 2020

(dont mean to be replying to this comment but I can't seem to figure out how to make a new post)

+1 for YET ANOTHER account created because of this issue.

The ANC difference is night and day.  There is no longer any discernible noise cancelling effect between low and high, and I ONLY EVER wished to use high. 

I will never purchase a bose product again.  I hope they come back strong with an update and an explanation to salvage whatever brand goodwill is left.

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@MallyFrom what I read here - if the unit is still under warranty, Bose has been exchanging it and depending on the firmware that comes with the replaced one, you may get relief and hear a difference.  The posts here seem to have shared a mixed message imho.  Also retail stores seem to have units with older firmware but as we would guess most if not all are shutdown.  If you are under warrantee, you would have to pay for an exchange with no guarantee that the resultant unit with older firmware would be any better.

And of course, if you are in the US, the call center is shutdown and it is not obvious to me that the chat or email communication with support can be effectively used for this situation though one customer in a different post here in the last day was successful in a unrelated issue.

CirenJules
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2020

The reality is that Bose are a Sales and R&D business which used to produce great products but it's now regularly selling products with faults; and then hiding from communicating/admitting them. Whilst not right, Bose aren't alone in this approach....sure we can all think of examples.

Where I'm struggling with this issue is that the 4.5.2 Firmware hasn't been removed;  also the complete lack of meaningful, value-adding official communications, just platitudes which assumes their customers (you and me) are happy with this kind of Customer Service. Bose care happier being a Formula 1 sponsor than developing great products with great Support.

I've seen a few Posts about Law Suites; forget it, their pockets are way deeper than ours. Vote with your feet and cash....I'm never, ever buying Bose again, selling my (older) Bose gear and telling people what's happening on here.

Brutal truth is Bose don't seem to realise there are plenty of (better) options - compared with 5 years ago - on where we spend our hard-earned cash. You have the choice to spend it elsewhere.

stoffel0976
Participant
Registered since

Feb 22, 2020

Sad thing is, that the update is still being offered to the user. Yes an  update can have errors, so they should have taken it back and exchange headsets when users request warranty.
But BOSE connect app still tries to update my QC to 4.5.2 when connected. Outrageous.