Clemens68
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 14, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

did anybody see this graph in the comments from RTINGS wrt firmwares retesting?

only in the low frequencies below 50Hz the original old firmware is better .....

079DA607-9FBE-49CE-9CAA-48549DE50FC9.jpeg

foobarsa
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2019

Thank you. This worked for me.

(https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-ii-firmware-4-5-2/m-p/221323/highl...)

These are the steps I followed

1. First updated via Bose Android app - NC was affected negatively.
  2. Reset headphones - No difference.
  3. Then updated via the Bose updater app using Chrome on OSX - No difference.
  4. Reset headphones - No difference.
  5. Updated again via the Bose updater app using Chrome on OSX, using Advance Mode - No difference.
  6. Reset headphones - NC is working perfectly again. Yay!
mseals1
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 23, 2019

I've reset my headphones so many times, and these are the brand new ones (manufactured June 2019), and the resets do nothing to fix the ANC. I can still hear conversations happening all around me (even up to 50-100ft from me at work if they are talking even slightly loud), hear my own typing, hear the guy typing in a different cubicle than me, the doors closing 50-100 ft away from me, everything.

I really wish Bose would issue an actual update for this to fix it, or even just release the next firmware update with a MUCH better ANC system since they claim "nothing is wrong".

EDIT: I also wish Bose would release an EASY way to reset the headphones or at least an indicator for the next time you turn them on for them to say it has been successfully reset. First way might be difficult since it seems it's more a hardware type of reset versus all software, but the second way would be super easy to add in the software, just a flag that gets reset when the headphones get reset that activate the "Headphones have been successfully reset."

Thørfīn
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 10, 2018

Bringing my own contribution. 

ANC was bit destroyed by previous firmware compared to the stock one. 

This one seem far better in any situation for the early test i have made ! 

Thanks Bose for bringind it rock again 🙂

iuni
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

4039.png

sweez
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

Does anyone have a similar experience to mine where I updated via the app, app says 4.5.2, web updater says 4.1.3 (and offers me to update to 4.5.2), and my ANC works fine until I connect the headphones to multiple devices (plugging it in via the cable especially seems to trigger it) at which point it freaks out and I have to do the soft reset thing, at which point it works fine again, until I connect it to multipe devices (Android phone, Linux laptop, TV via the cable), rinse repeat..

On one hand, having to constantly reset them is annoying (and I have no idea if that affects them negatively?), but on the other hand I'm afraid I'll permamently gimp my ANC if I upgrade them via web...

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@nagyizee

@Ferdi 

>Maybe the reason ANC is not working is that after the fw. update the nonvolatile memory isn't cleaned up as expected, some mess remains from old fw.; they do the test on freshly flashed devices where NV memory is cleaned also, but the average

>user can not do that operation. So we need all kind of black magic to make it work again.

This and Ferdi's 'installation' process comment above seems to agree with my 7 scnearios suggestion from earlier this week.  I had surmised back then that since Bose says it did not change ANC in the firmware, one of the possible causes could have been the installation process itself and in your comments, you are possibly suggesting the same thing - that an installation may have left over part of the previous firmware (whether it be code or data).  I hope and assume that Bose is looking into this possibility as a possible 'cause'.  To fix the situation will likely require new firmware and possibly an update to the installation code in Bose Connect and/or BTU web installer.   Normally the installation process will replace all of the code.  If that is the way it was done, then it is not left over code (otherwise, a missing not previously replaced routine needs to be checked, possibly changed and added).  Otherwise, as you state, it could be 'global data'.  Programmers such as one who code in "C" know very well that data used by routines can come from three places - from inside the routine itself (where it is normally initialized each time the routine starts), a data variable which is available to all routines inside the 'module' (we used to call those modules dynamic link libraries, DLLs, in Windows but its the same idea/context in all OSs) and initializes to the 'compile time' value when the module starts though it could be 'set' by code in one of the modules and finally the one you suggest - an external data variable or value.  These are places (often documented with hardware) which are always there and specify states often for the hardware that are in non-volatile memory.  In other words, these are data areas not defined in the firmware and that remain set to their current values even when the device is turned off.  Depending on the type of memory being used, the values may get erased if power is totally lost or they may stay on indefinately.  What I describe here are generally known programming knowledge that even the most basic programming courses (for example when you learn to program in C or HTML) teach.

What it means here, for example, is that it is possible that firmware did not change ANC, but 'perhaps' there were global variable values that were either improperly set or not set at all (left from the pre-installation environments) that could have impact on ANC.  And again, as I neither know the details of the firmware nor either of the two installation programs, I can not tell you which things set variables and which things forget to set variables.

Here is the easiest analogy I can suggest for those of you familiar with the Windows programming environment.  Way back in the early 90s, Microsoft realized that programs each used to keep their global data in what was then files with the "INI" extension.  Microsoft decided to create an architecture that allowed all program to choose between keeping their data in files OR put them into a single virtually create reppository called, a "Registry".   So when you uninstall a program in Windows or it installs a new version, all the code is supposed to be replaced or remove as well as the data files and the registry values but that is not always the case and often files and registry files are not touched.  This could cause similar issues to what has happened here.  In fact, in the windows world, vendors often create registry values/entries used across their product line (i.e., multiple applications) and as you can guess, changing one program can impact another program.  Conceptually this could have been the case here where data values used for ANC where also supported and used by non-ANC code.

BTW in the windows world, to minimize or eliminate the above issues, many of us for years have been uninstallating with https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Possible ANC solution for QC35i's and QC35ii's

I am keeping this separate so it doesn't get lost in the post with over 70+ screens.  It has been suggested that the following process will impact (and possibly put back) the ANC for those QC35 users who have had their ANC impacted.  A few have said that the following is the process and works:

1. Upgrade with Connect

2. Upgrade with BTU

3. Upgrade again with BTU in advanced mode

4. Remove and reinitialize everything

Does this work for all and if not, who does it work for?  Will it work for QC35i's and QC35ii's?  Let's all agree on whether this is a global solution, a partial solution, or doesn't solve it at all.

If the above is not the process, let's pin down exactly what the correct procedure is.

Nick-T
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 21, 2019

@sweez wrote:

Does anyone have a similar experience to mine where I updated via the app, app says 4.5.2, web updater says 4.1.3 (and offers me to update to 4.5.2), and my ANC works fine until I connect the headphones to multiple devices (plugging it in via the cable especially seems to trigger it) at which point it freaks out and I have to do the soft reset thing, at which point it works fine again, until I connect it to multipe devices (Android phone, Linux laptop, TV via the cable), rinse repeat..

On one hand, having to constantly reset them is annoying (and I have no idea if that affects them negatively?), but on the other hand I'm afraid I'll permamently gimp my ANC if I upgrade them via web...

I was coming to the same conclusion the last couple of days with my headphones, still on 4.3.6. After my latest Bluetooth reset I only linked it to one device, and I've not been using cable. Midrange frequency damping and hiss while using NC both appear to be improved compared to what I was experiencing prior to the reset.

I'm curious if things will deteriorate again when I add another device, but I'm in no rush to find out.

Serj
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Jun 27, 2019

Re: Possible ANC solution for QC35i's and QC35ii's

@joelirwin wrote:

I am keeping this separate so it doesn't get lost in the post with over 70+ screens.  It has been suggested that the following process will impact (and possibly put back) the ANC for those QC35 users who have had their ANC impacted.  A few have said that the following is the process and works:

1. Upgrade with Connect

2. Upgrade with BTU

3. Upgrade again with BTU in advanced mode

4. Remove and reinitialize everything

Does this work for all and if not, who does it work for?  Will it work for QC35i's and QC35ii's?  Let's all agree on whether this is a global solution, a partial solution, or doesn't solve it at all.

If the above is not the process, let's pin down exactly what the correct procedure is.

Could you be a bit more specific?

So far, 1+2+3 + the Reset procedure offered as a solution by all the moderators has not resolved my problem.