gravax
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2019

Re: Firmware 4.5.2 QC35 ii

@joelirwin wrote:

@drwhois 

>is there a way to stay connected to a bluetooth device and at the same time wired?

>from the moment i insert the cable bluetooth disconnects..

That is expected behavior.  They are mutually exclusive.  You either are wired or bluetooth.  Can't be both simultaneously.  I believe that is design for all of the Bose bluetooth products since my Revolve and Soundlink Mini 2 also behave the same way.

Agreed. The  headset doesn't have a means to mix 2 different inputs (there is no mixer to select which amount of which input you want). So it's one input at a time. If you are on bluetooth and you connect the cable, since that cable only serves to conduct sound, the assumed desire is to switch to that input. If not, why would you plug in an audio cable?

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@TimC. 

> From the 100+ pages on this thread, I am assuming already that:

> 1) Bose will not admit fault and hope that we'll go away

I do not work for Bose nor as people who follow my responses here know, I do not 'defend' Bose or its actions.  I can just observe their behavior for the last 18 months I am here and mix that with having worked for 20 years for a large oil company dealing with technology vendors.   Bose is like most vendors - they will have no initiative to admit fault (unless forced to by a governmental body).  If they have found something that needs fixing they just deliver a fix and talk about the fix and what it fixed.  Not why things broke.

We have nothing that Bose has said or done that would suggest we 'go away'.  In fact the opposite, this is their forum that is used for our discussion.  They do occasionally edit out some things (and we don't know what got edited), but by and large we have been discussing this issue here for over a year - daily.  If they wanted us to go away, they would have shut things down on the topic.

> 2) There's no planned fix for this. They want us to buy the 700s (as if...)

Again - total conjuncture.  First of all they have to determine the cause to create a fix.  We know the symptoms but even we at this point are guessing as to the cause.  We honestly can't say it is anything in particular.  We can't say it is the firmware since there are units (we don't know the fraction of upgrades) that upgrade and have no issues at all.  And even for those who have issues, we can't say it is the firmware - it could be the upgrade process or the Bose Connect app or some combination.  If we (and Bose) are sure of the cause, then we/Bose can plan for a fix.

The ANC 'issue' spans both the QC35i and QC35ii and goes back to the beginning of 2018 - well before the latest two QC35 firmware upgrades and well before the 700 debut.  Again we have nothing to connect the ANC 'issues' with the advent of the 700.  There is no specific thing we can state or show to indicate that the ANC issue was initially created in an attempt to get QC35 owners to upgrade or purchase a 700.  I believe it more highly likely that the two events are totally independent of each other.

3) Bose isn't worried about the damage to its reputation

Again - conjecture.  What we can say that I believe is true is that this forum represents but a tiny fraction of the Bose customer base and those who do come here generally have a problem or issue.  So we can reasonably assume that Bose likely feels that what happens in this forum could be an 'indicator' of issues but not necessary a major impact on the customer base or their reputation.

4) The purchase I made of the QC35II is deemed a loss.

It depends on what you consider a 'loss' to be.  In the best case, if you are affected by the ANC issue and do not want to wait for a Bose solution and are willing to take a 'risk', you can go ahead and do a google search on reddit for how to downgrade.  Many here who have done so, state that they have experience relief.  On the 'worst case' side if you don't want to use the QC35 anymore, you can sell them on eBay for those willing to downgrade or wait for Bose to fix.

Effenberg0x0
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

A few months ago my QC25 got the "dead right speaker" problem and some weeks after that my QC35-I got the "won't turn off" bug. I managed to exchange the QC35-I for a QC35-II (thanks Bose!) and I upgraded the firmware and app as soon as I received the product. 

I use these two Bose headphones, with ANC turned ON, for 12 to 16 hours a day, every workday, for at least 4 years (I'm a programmer and I got concentration issues that demand as much silence as possible). ANC is essential to me and it is a part of my life. So I am extremely used to how the world is supposed to sound when Bose ANC is ON and functioning properly.

I am 100% sure that the QC-35 II HIGH ANC setting sounds very different from what my ears and brain got used to in all those years of daily Bose ANC.

Don't get me wrong, it does cancel noise and it does it very well. And unlike other in this thread, I can definitely hear the difference between ANC LOW and HIGH. But I'm hearing sounds from my work and home environment get past HIGH ANC that I am absolutely sure I wasn't able to hear with the QC-25 and QC-35 I. The noise that gets past ANC seem to sound different, like if it has a different "reverb" than the noise that would escape QC-25 and QC-35 I ANC.

My wife has a pair of QC-25 that still works. I've been switching between the QC35-II and QC-25 and, in my opinion, QC-25 does a better job at noise canceling than QC35-II with firmware 4.5.2.

I know Bose said (in some recent thread) that no changes were done to the ANC in recent firmware updates. I believe that, but I also know that sometimes even though we don't make intentional changes to core functionality in software, things can still fail due to other implementation factors: changes in 1st and 3rd party libs, changes in compilers and compilations flags, reintroduction of old bugs, etc. Software is hard.

I love the QC-35 II and the ANC does work, but I am sure something weird is going on... And I would love to have the old "strong" ANC back at some point.

As a side note: My QC35-II with firmware 4.5.2 seems to have an issue with 2 simultaneous Bluetooth connections when one of them is an Android phone/tablet and the other is a Linux laptop (Intel Bluetooth). For example, if I pause a video in the laptop for a minute or so, there's no sound in the headphones anymore when I resume playback in the laptop, even though Bluetooth module inspection shows the headphone is properly paired/connected and active in the proper mode (a2dp), as a sound output with the proper codec and correct PulseAudio sink. At this point, it is necessary to reconnect/reconnect the headphones to the laptop to get sound. So far, my theory is that one of the Bluetooth-related modules (btintel, btusb, I have no idea which one commands that) or Alsa enter a power-saving state after approximately 30 seconds and, when it does, the headphones simply don't know how to deal with that properly. I have not seen other similar reports and have not really delved into debug info to provide a better explanation at this point.

Regards.

Buffalo_Sabres
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 27, 2019

BOSE was my best brand in headphones, loved my QC35 and they was so comfortable.

Now everything is changed my QC35 is not like they was after update and tomorrow i go back with my QC35ii

that i bougt a couple of weeks ago because i wanted to have QC45 but when they did not come i wanted to have QC35ii for the comfortable, so i still had that anyway, but now after feeling that is no difference between high and low ANC and i did not even have 4.5.2 i give up on Bose...

I will never again buy any Bose products their customer service does not care and i will not care about Bose anymore either.

So you managed to destroy your good name and brand so fast, hope you are happy about that i will never forget...

rockran
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

I've sent mine back and still waiting for a replacement or repair. It's been 20 days. This is my first and last bose product. This is the worst customer service I've received.

PerryB
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 21, 2019

Got mine about a week ago and updated to the latest firmware after reading the posts. No issues for me. 

MarcosBR
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

@PerryB wrote:

Got mine about a week ago and updated to the latest firmware after reading the posts. No issues for me. 

How are you supposed to know how the ANC was before, if you have your headphone for just one week? I guess you didn't realise that there is a high chance that you bought a pair of bad ANC and just updated for a still bad ANC firmware.

And just another thing, you came here, read the posts and still updated your headphone? This sounds a lot fake to me... or.... do you work for bose?

I'm using this headphone daily, since 2018, and there is definitely a degradation on the ANC. 

drwhois
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

@Effenberg0x0 wrote:

As a side note: My QC35-II with firmware 4.5.2 seems to have an issue with 2 simultaneous Bluetooth connections when one of them is an Android phone/tablet and the other is a Linux laptop (Intel Bluetooth). For example, if I pause a video in the laptop for a minute or so, there's no sound in the headphones anymore when I resume playback in the laptop, even though Bluetooth module inspection shows the headphone is properly paired/connected and active in the proper mode (a2dp), as a sound output with the proper codec and correct PulseAudio sink. At this point, it is necessary to reconnect/reconnect the headphones to the laptop to get sound. So far, my theory is that one of the Bluetooth-related modules (btintel, btusb, I have no idea which one commands that) or Alsa enter a power-saving state after approximately 30 seconds and, when it does, the headphones simply don't know how to deal with that properly. I have not seen other similar reports and have not really delved into debug info to provide a better explanation at this point.

that is correct, i have the same problem with iphone and windows 10 laptop

drwhois
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

@MarcosBR wrote:

@PerryB wrote:

How are you supposed to know how the ANC was before, if you have your headphone for just one week? I guess you didn't realise that there is a high chance that you bought a pair of bad ANC and just updated for a still bad ANC firmware.

And just another thing, you came here, read the posts and still updated your headphone? This sounds a lot fake to me... or.... do you work for bose?

I'm using this headphone daily, since 2018, and there is definitely a degradation on the ANC. 

sorry to say but i've upgraded from 4.3.1 to 4.5.2 and had no issues either (2 units)... compared briefly to another on 3.8 and ANC is the same...

will compare more rigid next week...

MarcosBR
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 30, 2019

@drwhois wrote:

sorry to say but i've upgraded from 4.3.1 to 4.5.2 and had no issues either (2 units)... compared briefly to another on 3.8 and ANC is the same...

will compare more rigid next week...

I don't want to argue about that, but 4.3.1 don't have good ANC either, you just made my point. People are saying that the degradation started way before.

Anyway, or you just don't have parameters to compare or you got lucky and had no problems at all.