Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Ok signed the petition at change dot org

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@roar714 

>If it is not v. 452 then your set does not have the ANC breaking firmware in this discussion thread and the noise cancellation should be OK.
1. Not every QC35ii which updated to 4.5.2 has had the problem.  I have 4.5.2 which was upgraded via just Bose Connect and I can clearly hear the difference between the three settings.  So I do not consider my QC35ii as having a problem.  In fact, we are not sure / there appears to be no consensus yet as to exactly the environment(s) and the action(s) that cause the problem.

2. Some people have checked in here that they were broke and have found a methodolgy to fix their problems.  So it is possible to have a broke 4.5.2 which then becomes a fixed 4.5.2.  I personally would love to see if we can come to a 'consensus' as to whether either or both the methodologies used to 'fix' the problem universally work or just sometimes work.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Hey guys - we all know here there is a problem.  We do not imho have to turn many more wheels to prove it.  I personally believe that Bose knows there is a problem and are trying to understand the cause(s) so they can fix it.  Their jobs are 'complicated' by the fact that they don't believe they directly changed ANC code in recent firmware releases.  But that does not mean they are denying there is a problem - they just really don't want to spend much time here detailing their on going investigation.  They have already this week checked in once about it.  We might not like their communication style but let us not discount the fact that we have every reason to believe that Bose is working the issue.

So as we did with the QC35i's on/off switch problem (which we were able to figure out months before Bose finally agreed that it was a hardware issue), let's collect our really brilliant minds that have been producing test results and graphs and let's concentrate on finding a cause.  Now there has been some discussion here in the past week that a possible reason for this problem is not that the firmware was technically faulty, but that the installation process was 'incomplete'.  There some here who suggest that Bose installation left over some uninitialized data or data that needed to be reset that wasn't.  Perhaps that is not the problem or cause but we owe it to ourselves to follow up on those two suggestions with customers who claim they had the problem and that the problem went away after their respective 'processes':

1. One involved three consecutive installations (connect, btu, and btu advanced) followed by a reinitialization and unpairing and repairing.

2. A second involved letting the QC35ii to run totally out of power to wipe out residual data and then fully recharge

Perhaps 1 works?  Perhaps 2 works?  Perhaps you need 1 and 2?  Perhaps none of them reliably work.  Shouldn't multiple ones of us with the problem try them out and report our findings back to the group?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

My guess is the new Alexa support.

The mic in QC35 pick up a lot of background noice, maybe to support Alexa the mic is on all the time and there is a bug that feed the background noice back to the user?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

bad news.

I tried running down the battery and then re-installed the latest update but it doesn't work. There is still no difference between low and high.

For those questioning this, there is a difference between off and on. The low freq sounds are filtered. But there is no difference any more between low and high and voices are very clear.

I will return these headphones when I get a chance.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@rockran 

Just to clarify:

1. When you ran down the battery was it totally zero - when you switched on the QC35ii, nothing happened?  If you tried to BT from connect did it not connect?  Are you sure it had no power left?

2. How do you run the update?  Did you do it two or three times? (connect, then btu, and then btu advanced)

These were not my personal suggestions so I want to make sure those tried them fully qualified what they did so the others can read/understand.  We don't want to eliminate these things if they are still a possible solution.  But if they are not, we don't want other users to waste their time trying.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 18, 2019

Ok I tried these steps that did NOT work

1. Enjoyed netflix and spotify till the battery was completely drained

2. No battery to even switch on

3. Deleted the App from my iphone

4. Charge the headphones from a USB power connected to the mains

5. Switched on didn't connect to anything

6. Connected to mac, went to BTU site updator

7. Used the advanced mode (type a-d-v-up arrown-down arrow) and update to 4.5.2 again

8. Tried it. No change from low to high. But as before there is a difference between on and off. But all voices are very clear

9. Tried the soft reset

• Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  • Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. ...
  • Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  • Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

10. No difference

11. Downloaded app. No difference.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

@joelirwin wrote:

Hey guys - we all know here there is a problem.  We do not imho have to turn many more wheels to prove it.  I personally believe that Bose knows there is a problem and are trying to understand the cause(s) so they can fix it.  Their jobs are 'complicated' by the fact that they don't believe they directly changed ANC code in recent firmware releases.  But that does not mean they are denying there is a problem - they just really don't want to spend much time here detailing their on going investigation.  They have already this week checked in once about it.  We might not like their communication style but let us not discount the fact that we have every reason to believe that Bose is working the issue.

So as we did with the QC35i's on/off switch problem (which we were able to figure out months before Bose finally agreed that it was a hardware issue), let's collect our really brilliant minds that have been producing test results and graphs and let's concentrate on finding a cause.  Now there has been some discussion here in the past week that a possible reason for this problem is not that the firmware was technically faulty, but that the installation process was 'incomplete'.  There some here who suggest that Bose installation left over some uninitialized data or data that needed to be reset that wasn't.  Perhaps that is not the problem or cause but we owe it to ourselves to follow up on those two suggestions with customers who claim they had the problem and that the problem went away after their respective 'processes':

1. One involved three consecutive installations (connect, btu, and btu advanced) followed by a reinitialization and unpairing and repairing.

2. A second involved letting the QC35ii to run totally out of power to wipe out residual data and then fully recharge

Perhaps 1 works?  Perhaps 2 works?  Perhaps you need 1 and 2?  Perhaps none of them reliably work.  Shouldn't multiple ones of us with the problem try them out and report our findings back to the group?

If Bose could just give us a sign that they have noticed the issue and is working on it though. They have been all quiet and keep pushing the update instead.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

Problem is that I don't think there is such thing as broken firmware update or leftover code that for example using desktop update or the reset process could fix. A firmware update either passes or fails. So I persoanlly think that since the problem with ANC is only with certain frequencies people that claim these different approaches fix the issue for them are not really testing the headphone in absolute identical conditions and they just want to believe that the issue is fixed. As for the firmware itslef I believe Bose is telling the truth that they haven't changed any code with ANC but they need to accept the fact that something else in the new firmware code could have broken the ANC. For example a change in Microphone ( Alexa support for example )

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

Let's check the response from BOSE 

"We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate that no changes to the software for active noise cancelling or ANC modes were made as part of the firmware update and no impact to ANC was detected during our validation testing. Our validation testing is a comprehensive process which is part of all firmware releases. We have revisited our test records and confirmed there were no changes to ANC. The way our testing was done was by using several QC35 II headphones across the latest firmware releases and measuring the ANC under the same conditions for each setup. No changes were noted."

1.no changes to the software for active noise cancelling.

2.no changes to the software for ANC modes.

3.no impact to ANC was detected during our validation testing.

4.confirmed there were no changes to ANC.

5.No changes were noted.

So how can we trust Bose.... no changes.