Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

Re: Bose QC 35 ii firmware 4.5.2

Yes you can programme this but it will automatically start downloading the firmware. If you perform this action on changing this and then deleting the app, this should not give you any problems. I reccomend at least waiting till the review of the next firmware before even thinking of redownloading after deleting it. Hope this helps 

@Techn wrote:

Despite all this I'm still considering getting a pair, purely for the comfort factor. But I have a question, to reprogram the 'action button' you need to use the bose connect app. Can you do that without the app auto updating the headphones?

If a new pair works then not updating is fine. But if it's at the expense of not being able to use the app that's not great.

@Techn wrote:

Despite all this I'm still considering getting a pair, purely for the comfort factor. But I have a question, to reprogram the 'action button' you need to use the bose connect app. Can you do that without the app auto updating the headphones?

If a new pair works then not updating is fine. But if it's at the expense of not being able to use the app that's not great.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

@Techn 

This is how I do when I want to change settings.

1. Download the Bose app

2. Put the phone in flight mode

3. Activate bluetooth.

4. Open app (just ignore warning about no internet connection)

5. Change settings in the app

6. Uninstall app

7. Remove flight mode.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 17, 2017

With your QC35 turned off, on the cellphone or other device with the Boseconnect app just turn off your WiFi so there’s no Internet to it.  Be sure Bluetooth remains on.

Then open the BoseConnect app.  Go past the no Internet warnings into the app.

Turn on the QC35s to allow a BT connection.

The app should detect the QCs and allow you to set the switches from your cellphone none of which require Internet access.  The one you’re looking for is in the app’s upper right corner’s menu.

After completing business close the Boseconnect app and then turn WiFi back on.  You may want to delete the app so you don’t accidentally open it with WiFi on and trigger the dreaded firmware update.  You can always reinstall the app if or when needed (again with WiFi off, other things equal.)

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 15, 2019

@rhysster974 @maran @roar714 Thanks all for the quick detailed replies. The strong community here is good to see Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

@roar714 wrote:

With your QC35 turned off, on the cellphone or other device with the Boseconnect app just turn off your WiFi so there’s no Internet to it.  Be sure Bluetooth remains on.

Then open the BoseConnect app.  Go past the no Internet warnings into the app.

Turn on the QC35s to allow a BT connection.

The app should detect the QCs and allow you to set the switches from your cellphone none of which require Internet access.  The one you’re looking for is in the app’s upper right corner’s menu.

After completing business close the Boseconnect app and then turn WiFi back on.  You may want to delete the app so you don’t accidentally open it with WiFi on and trigger the dreaded firmware update.  You can always reinstall the app if or when needed (again with WiFi off, other things equal.)

Thanks all! 

I did this with my new pair! They are on 4.1.3 or 4.1.7, and there is a difference in ANC levels. They sound great! Removed the bose app again just to be sure after the setup, not gonna update these for sure. 

Thanks again for the help everyone! Maybe we should do a PSA about not updating new headphones on reddit?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Tipp 

>If Bose could just give us a sign that they have noticed the issue and is working on it though. They have been all quiet and keep pushing the update instead.

Didn't Bose check in some number of screens back in this post earlier this week with a status update that they are looking at the issue but have not yet found anything (and continued to say their firmware didn't change ANC).  We didn't necessarily like the response but they did respond.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@maran 

>I still think the Alexa support affect the microphone to be always on (to support picking up commands).
So if that is the case, you do you think that uninstalling the Alexa app if you have one installed and changing the action button in Bose Connect to "Noise Cancellation" will have any impact on the microphone?

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Techn 

>But I have a question, to reprogram the 'action button' you need to use the bose connect app. Can you do that without the app auto updating the headphones?
You need the app.  If you are concerned about getting a firmware update, put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on BT - no way to do an update then.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

1. Redid the update via BTU in advanced mode (go to the btu.bose.com update site and type "adv"  then up arrow followed by down arrow. Updater goes into advanced mode. Rerun the update

i got into adv mode .. but all i can see on the pulldown is the version i run - how do you get access to older? - or did bose shut it down

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 21, 2019

Just refunded my QC35 ii today and will be ordering an xm3 even though I hate the Sony Brand. ( I was a fan of Bose )

Tons of customers who paid hundreds of dollars to a headphone is giving more effort to solve this issue rather than Bose.

Nearly 33 days have passed since the problem has been reported to Bose and they still can't figure out the problem.

They should be ashamed of seeing their customers helpless and clueless with their degraded headphones.