Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Bose QC2 amplifier

I am told that in order for me to connect my BOSE headphones to my Sony Bravia TV (so that I can listen privately), I need to install a "headphone amplifier" first. Can you shed any light on this suggestion?

Thx! DAVID

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Bose QC2 amplifier

arasmas2004@yahoo.comThere are two ways to connect the QC35ii to a TV.  One way is via a 'wired connection" - plugging in your QC35 into the TV or something that connects to the TV.  The wire on the QC35ii provides an 'analog connection'.  The end of the QC35ii supplied wire when it is used is a "male" 3.5mm stereo mini plug.  Most TVs do not have "female" (the thingy with the hole in it) 3.5mm stereo mini plug connections as you would, for example, typically see on a desktop or laptop.  So if you use a 'wired' QC35 solution you would need something between the QC35ii and the TV.  That something would need to have both a 'female' connector for the QC35ii and a connector for a wire that goes to the TV.  Most recent TVs provide audio output in one of two ways - most commonly via an 'optical' connector (digital audio out).  Some also can output audio through a specifically designated "HDMI" connector if the device on the other end provides "ARC" support.

So what that means is that for a 'wired solution' - you need a box in the middle that accept audio either via HDMI/ARC (if that box supports it) or Optical digital audio and converts it to an analog audio signal via a 'female stereo mini audio jack'.   This is what is being referred to as I guess as a 'amplifier' since most of these boxes will also amplify the low power signals though that will only be 'useful' if you are connecting audio speakers and not a headphone.

Another 'solution' would be to use an "receiver" (even if you don't care about AM and FM radio broadcasts).  This is what I do with my Onkyo TX-SR393.  This unit is connected to my TV, my cable, and my Blu-ray player as 'inputs' and to my floor standing Bose 701 analog speakers going out.  This unit can also provide bluetooth support (both to a bluetooth device and from a bluetooth device like my phone [both audio and video to the TV]).  Keep in mind that many TVs now also provide bluetooth support directly (like my Samsung).  Though you didn't ask about how to connect the QC35ii to your TV via bluetooth.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 20, 2020

Re: Bose QC2 amplifier

TYVM Joel! 

A wired connection is what I have in mind, but the question now is where can I locate the necessary connector? Any ideas?

DAVID