Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Bose QC35 I Battery shut down

Hello,

Ive had my QC35's for a little over a year now, they were working fine til the other day when the power just switched off at about 60% battery.

-Now they consistently die at any power reserve (maybe get about 1 hour out of a charge before it dies at say 80% Battery)

-When I plug them in, an orange light flashes for a split second then goes to solid green.

-Wont turn on again until I plug & unlug the headphones 30-40 times until finally I get a flashing orange light (charging).

-Only then do they start working again, but can drop out at any minute with any amount of battery.

An before you say it;

-yes firmware is up to date,

-yes I have tried resetting them (or plugging them in and out or on and off within 30 seconds lol)

-yes i have tried other charging cables

Really frustrating that all the Solved answers in this community are to "buy a new pair". No replacment batteries available, just out of warrenty, I'm only left with $450 ear muffs : / Is this the end of my advocacy with Bose??

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Bose QC35 I Battery shut down

Hi Angrybosecustomer,

We are very sorry for all the trouble you have experienced with your headphones. We understand it's frustrating when a product stops working properly. We usually don't repair headphones but would rather replace them with a new pair. Even beyond the warranty period, we try to provide service options that would involve a replacement at a discounted rate. For the available options for your situation, we would encourage you to work closely with your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your country, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Thanks for the prompt reply Tony,

Have contacted support and will update on result

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Hi Tony,

Had some excellent support from the Dutch team, really happy with the results.

Appreciate your time too.

Best
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi ,

Thanks for letting us know. I am glad to hear that you got your problem remedied. Come back and post anytime!!

Regards,

Tony G

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 20, 2019

Hi,

Tony's response is hogwash.  I bought a pair of these before doing my due diligence.  Only after searching around  bit did I learn that Bose's solution to the, eventual and inevitable, failure of the battery is to return the headphones to them include $250 and get a replacement pair of headphones that will also fail and require replacement for $250, etc., etc., etc., to quote the King of Siam.  I don't recall any mention of the buyer paying shipping both ways.  I then called their customer service number to verify that what I had learned was true.  The agent was very evasive and only AFTER I shared what I had already learned did she "confess" that Bose will not service the worn out battery nor will they sell replacement battery so the user can replace it.  I watched a video and a moderately skilled consumer (me for example) can replace the battery but it isn't particulary easy as the headphones are not meant to be repaired and parts are glued together rather than assembled with screws that can be easily removed for access.  I understand that some things today are disposable when the battery reaches its service life.  This list should NOT include headphones costing $350.  Something this expensive should have user replaceable batteries.  Bose makes the truth difficult to find and the responses on this blog have been evasive at best, if not outright misleading.  I've provided them feedback per their email survey but I doubt that I'll ever hear back.  In fact I doubt that this post will ever see the "light of day". 

Given Bose's behavior, policy, responses, etc. I will never purchase another Bose product, will not recommend them, and, in fact, discourage anyone from considering a Bose product.  There are better, less expensive, serviceable brands out there.  IMHO, Sony's WH-1000mx3 headphones out perform Bose's as far as noise cancelling and sound go.  I think their battery life is also better and the battery is user replaceable with no soldering required.

I have posted my thoughts on social media and, as mentioned above, provided them to Bose when I responded to their customer satisfaction survey.  I doubt that I'll ever hear from them.

Making the truth so difficult to find and being so evasive is despicable.

Once again I'd like to hear someone from Bose explain this crazy approach to business.  I may be contacted at [Edited By Moderator].  I'm standing by for an explanation and, perhaps, reimbursement for the expense I incurred buying and returning the headphones.
Sincerely,
Eric "Gus" Marquardt

Highlighted

Hello Eric,

Welcome to the community. I am very sorry to hear that this has happened with your QC35 headphones. 

As previously stated within this thread, If your headphones are requiring a repair service Bose does not repair headphones but provide a replacement, this is due to hygiene reasons. If your product is within its warranty period this can be done free of charge, however if you are out of warranty, discounted service options are available. I apologize that this has caused disappointment and frustration however this is our current policy and procedure. 

If you require any further assistance or information regarding this you will need to forward this through to your regions Bose service team.  Please follow this link select your region and scroll down to "Contact Us". There you will find the appropriate contact information.

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Bose Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 11, 2019

Battery not replaceable. "this is due to hygiene reasons."

This seems an extrioaenary reason why the battery on the QC35 cannot be replaced.

Can you confirm that this is the official Bose position?

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 1, 2018

This kind of "hygiene reason" means "we're washing our hands of the problem, and whitewashing the rationale for handwashing."  You don't get no cleaner than that.